Young monks lead revival of Buddhism in Mongolia...

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
anjali
Global Moderator

Young monks lead revival of Buddhism in Mongolia...

Post by anjali » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Young monks lead revival of Buddhism in Mongolia after years of repression.
...the repression, begun in the 1930s with the arrival of Communism, killed an estimated 17,000 monks, official figures show.

At the time, most Mongolians were devout adherents to a form of Buddhism similar to that practiced in Tibet.

After democracy came to Mongolia in 1990, monasteries and schools were re-established by the survivors, many already then in their 70s.

Lobsang Tayang’s monastery, Amarbayasgalant, is a sprawling complex deep in the endless grasslands, 35 km (22 miles) from the nearest road. It was home to around 800 monks before the Soviet era. After the purges began, half the monastery’s monks fled, while most of those who remained were killed.

Now fewer than 40 are left, and the oldest, the head of the monastery, is just 35.

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Young monks lead revival of Buddhism in Mongolia...

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:46 pm

My gut... joy and sadness... My heart goes out to those little boys separated from their families... and I project hope that they continue the lines of transmission for posterity. Such tremendous responsibility on those little shoulders.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm

It’s easy to chop down a forest, right? But it takes a long time for new trees to grow back.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 am

There are a lot of older monks teaching in Mongolia. I think for this article they just focussed on a monastery that doesn't have any in the interest of the story. Mongolian Vajrayana is a fascinating area - particularly which practices are prevalent and why

That said, what happened to the Sangha there during the communist era was beyond horrible.

Return to “News & Current Events”