So, Anthony Bourdain...

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

So, Anthony Bourdain...

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:15 am

offed himself.

Had a couple friends kill themselves recently. One on Tuesday.

Kate Spade was another high profile suicide this week.

Was processing when I heard about Bourdain.

Bourdain was a gut punch. He was living an iteration of life that from a distance was something I dream about - traveling the world, eating and drinking and talking to people. Making love to the world.

And he said, "not good enough." So did my friends.

I've walked that existential razor blade. I get it. But my gut is to fight back. Never give up. Saha! Endure.

It's a tough day.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

TharpaChodron

Re: So, Anthony Bourdain...

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 am

I'll admit I occasionally look at the Daily Mail, and saw a couple days ago pics of his girlfriend with another dude and thought, "uh oh.". And then two days later he commits suicide...

Of course it's tragic, but as a Buddhist it's weeks like this that remind me of the real truth behind the whole Samsara is endless reality. Not being smug, but I feel pretty damn fortunate to have the dharma as my guide, knowing all ends in tears if you take things to be permanent. Can a Buddhist say RIP?

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am

I hope he has a fortunate rebirth in the land of the dakinis.

Kevin...
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:09 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 am
I'll admit I occasionally look at the Daily Mail, and saw a couple days ago pics of his girlfriend with another dude and thought, "uh oh.". And then two days later he commits suicide...

Of course it's tragic, but as a Buddhist it's weeks like this that remind me of the real truth behind the whole Samsara is endless reality. Not being smug, but I feel pretty damn fortunate to have the dharma as my guide, knowing all ends in tears if you take things to be permanent. Can a Buddhist say RIP?
This is an interesting question. I think it makes more sense to say "see you around," because it's inevitable that all of us will cross paths again so long as we're not liberated, and if we are Buddhas, what is there to separate us (any of us)? or rather, does it make sense to think in terms of separation for one who has no limitations?

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 am

Interestingly his close friend Eric Ripert, the person who found him, is actually a Buddhist and here's how he put it:
I pray he is at peace from the bottom of my heart.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:08 am

So tragic. It shows that even the famous, who seem to have everything, also suffer the ravages of samsara. May he be in peace.

Queequeg, may you also have peace during this difficult time feeling the suffering of others.

DS
For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.
- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

anjali
Global Moderator

Post by anjali » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 am

In addition to the two high-profile suicides mentioned, there was this just yesterday: Suicide rates [in US] are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says. From the article:
Nearly 45,000 people died by suicide in 2016, the CDC team found.
Firearms were the most common method used. They were used in nearly half of all suicides and in 55 percent of the cases where there was no known mental health condition.

The CDC team dug into more details in 27 states. When details were available on what may have been factors in suicides, the CDC team found:

42 percent had a relationship problem
28 percent had substance abuse issues
16 percent had job or financial problems
29 percent had some kind of crisis
22 percent had a physical health issue
9 percent had a criminal legal problem

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 am

AB met many in his travel and I'm sure more than a few practiced Buddha Dharma .Hopefully some of them are helping him during this time.

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:57 am

Almost never care about celebrities, but Anthony Bourdaine was different. I really loved the guy. Two of my exes and me loved his show. Who doesn’t love travel and food? My gf saw him walking around a few weeks ago. When he came to SF, he went to my bar and ate at my burger joint. When I went to Asia I went to the soup lady he bragged about. I felt a connection. My brother killed himself as did my brother-in-law. Suicide news hurts me. And there’s been so much of it. All these successful people with lives we would all want actually hate life. But man, I can’t think of a cooler dude. Life is truly miserable at some level. We all know that. For me the challenges of life are a call to arms. The warrior ethos, like bushido, makes me want to fight on no matter what. But with all the suicide around, death starts to gain a luster, an allure. At that moment, my Buddhism knowledge kicks in, there’s no real death. Suffering goes on and on and on. There’s no real life either. All this is just a dream. These are the fantasies of phantoms. And the sunrises in Miami. The Sunsets in San Francisco. Those neon dreams. Those alone no matter how bad life gets, even as mere memories, make life a reward. I hope depressed folks can find reasons not to end life, not to become lethargic and hate life. I hope all sad folks find some wonder in the world.
She glares menacingly at your corpse.

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:16 am

Well said CW.
There are Ketamine clinics popping up after some amazing test results for multiple mental health conditions.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:16 am
Well said CW.
There are Ketamine clinics popping up after some amazing test results for multiple mental health conditions.
Shrooms are excellent for depression, but only under supervised use.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Never heard of the guy.

I'm still at the low level of samsaric existence where my compassion is totally illogic.

There's a newly invented word called 'empathy' which is quite useful (yes, it is a modern term). As well as getting upset when people I know have a tough time or die, or pets die etc. I can empathise with others going through the same, and with more situations as I get older and have more of a bank of experiences to drawn on.

But I'm not yet advanced enough in universal compassion to really care much about most of what the newspapers want me to be upset about, or to know when something pops up that it will or won't press the sympathy or empathy buttons.

In this case, not much bothered.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:15 pm
Never heard of the guy.
You can read more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Bourdain

His many shows are well worth watching. He traveled around the world seeking out local authentic cuisine, and was never afraid to try even the most bizarre foods. I am sure many of his episodes are on YouTube. Check them out.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Never heard of the guy.
You can read more here:

His many shows are well worth watching. He traveled around the world seeking out local authentic cuisine, and was never afraid to try even the most bizarre foods. I am sure many of his episodes are on YouTube. Check them out.
Thanks, but really, the press is full of stuff about him I'm not bothering to read. I'm sure for his family it is terrible, but that's true for the many thousands of others who died in the last day or two. I often see someone dying in my life or through the media and some will affect me, and some won't. In the case of celebrity deaths I usually end up wondering why it is more important in news values than a massacre in Burma etc.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm
Norwegian wrote:
Mantrik wrote:
Never heard of the guy.
You can read more here:

Thanks, but really, the press is full of stuff about him I'm not bothering to read. I'm sure for his family it is terrible, but that's true for the many thousands of others who died in the last day or two. I often see someone dying in my life or through the media and some will affect me, and some won't. In the case of celebrity deaths I usually end up wondering why it is more important in news values than a massacre in Burma etc.
I'm not posting that so you can get extra material ("sadness fodder") to feel like grieving for someone you don't know. I posted it so you can appreciate his contributions he shared with people while he was alive. Watch his programs not to feel sad, watch them to rejoice in his love for food, people, exploring, and giving to others.

If he didn't have anything worth watching, then sure, no point in bothering. But his kind of travel-food-shows were really interesting. There's many places I'd now like to go visit, at least for its food, due to his contributions. Hong Kong street food for example, looks delicious!

boda

Post by boda » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm
amanitamusc wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:16 am
Well said CW.
Shrooms are excellent for depression, but only under supervised use.
And by the same acting principle, meditation. But of course meditation takes a lot of effort, and perhaps a good amount of time as well, and for that reason maybe no help for people in Bourdain's situation.

He may actually have tried psychedelics. Someone as well connected and traveled as he was could easily find a good underground guide or gone overseas where it's legal. No cure is 100% effective.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Norwegian wrote:

You can read more here:

I'm not posting that so you can get extra material ("sadness fodder") to feel like grieving for someone you don't know. I posted it so you can appreciate his contributions he shared with people while he was alive. Watch his programs not to feel sad, watch them to rejoice in his love for food, people, exploring, and giving to others.

If he didn't have anything worth watching, then sure, no point in bothering. But his kind of travel-food-shows were really interesting. There's many places I'd now like to go visit, at least for its food, due to his contributions. Hong Kong street food for example, looks delicious!
I'm more of the Keith Floyd generation - good food starts with drinking wine whilst cooking, then you add wine to the meal and drink another bottle or two, then accompany the meal with wine, and do it all somewhere photogenic and a bit foreign. ;)

Hairy Bikers are OK, but not enough wine.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Norwegian wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm
Mantrik wrote:

I'm more of the Keith Floyd generation - good food starts with drinking wine whilst cooking, then you add wine to the meal and drink another bottle or two, then accompany the meal with wine, and do it all somewhere photogenic and a bit foreign. ;)

Hairy Bikers are OK, but not enough wine.
I've watched Keith Floyd programs too, very enjoyable - humorous too - especially his copious amounts of wine.

Return to “News & Current Events”