Meditate and grow your ego

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
dzogchungpa

Re: Meditate and grow your ego

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Drenpa wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:30 am
Speaking of "Alpha Males", try doing a search for PUA and meditation. You might find it amusing. :smile:
Funny, but illustrative.

The idea of "meditation" as it is used in the article and in the culture of preying on women is precisely why the original article about mediation and ego is meaningless (along with so much dharma wheel discussion) without some kind of consensual baseline.

Seemingly without even an elephant to grope at, discussion gets completely out of hand right off the hop. Each word and concept meaning something different to each participant, to the point of the example of "one water, 6 lokas".

Probably why the more conditioned the discussion is by sub-forum & viewpoint, the more interesting and useful I often find it, YMMV.

Well, occasionally you can find some useful information on DW, but as far as I'm concerned it's mostly about the lulz.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:00 am
AilurusFulgens wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm
For us ordinary people I can only say: we all try our best. Everyone has a different background. Sometimes I think that the real siddhi is to be compassionate and modest. I certainly am far from that.
Exactly what I keep hearing from my teachers.

From Matthieu Ricard's foreword to "Turning Confusion Into Clarity":

Someone once came to visit Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, Khyentse Rinpoche’s grandson, to discuss his difficulties. The visitor began by saying how well his practice of the Great Perfection was going and how great it was to simply “remain in the view.” Then he added: “But you know, I can’t stand being at that dharma center. People are so mean and I can’t get along with them.” When Rabjam Rinpoche suggested that on such occasions he might try practicing teachings on mind training, the man replied, “Oh, that is really difficult.” So this person thought that it was easy to practice the most profound teaching, which is the culmination of the Buddhist path, but found it too challenging to put in application the teachings that we are supposed to begin with.

After the man left, Rabjam Rinpoche recalled that the great yogi Shabkar Tsodruk Rangdrol (1781-1851) had said about such cases: “There are people who pretend they can chew stones, but can’t chew butter.”
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:08 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm
After the man left, Rabjam Rinpoche recalled that the great yogi Shabkar Tsodruk Rangdrol (1781-1851) had said about such cases: “There are people who pretend they can chew stones, but can’t chew butter.”

:thumbsup: That's a keeper.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Return to “News & Current Events”