"Mindfulness" News Feed

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

"Mindfulness" News Feed

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Ok, so, I have "mindfulness" as one of my news feed topics so I get the articles on the subject. Some are interesting, some amusing. I figure fellows here may find some interesting. Instead of starting a new thread for each one, I will just post them here.

To start things off

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/17/tune- ... k-off.html
Employees who practice mindfulness meditation are less motivated, having realized the futility of their jobs
:rolling:

Meditation having the subversive effect it's supposed to have!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Snowbear

Re: "Mindfulness" News Feed

Post by Snowbear » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm
Ok, so, I have "mindfulness" as one of my news feed topics so I get the articles on the subject. Some are interesting, some amusing. I figure fellows here may find some interesting. Instead of starting a new thread for each one, I will just post them here.

To start things off

Employees who practice mindfulness meditation are less motivated, having realized the futility of their jobs

Meditation: a millennium old Communist influence operation. :jumping:

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 am

Here DKR talks about this sort of mindfulness without wisdom or base and says it
it is dangerous.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 am

Queequeg wrote:

To start things off

Queequeg the artice you posted mis quotes the link contained

the original study says it DOES NOT affect performance, but the one you linked to says it does.

In the future do a better job of fact-checking before you cut and paste.

FAKE NEWS!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 am
Queequeg wrote:

To start things off

Queequeg the artice you posted mis quotes the link contained

the original study says it DOES NOT affect performance, but the one you linked to says it does.

In the future do a better job of fact-checking before you cut and paste.

FAKE NEWS!
I suggest you re read both articles.
Entered a stupa compound

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 pm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 781630646X

Here is the abstract of the study, which say performance is NOT compromised by meditation, which is misinterpreted by NYT AND Boing Boing.

The different wording between the fake news sources and the actual scientific study are crucial. It's a blatant misrepresentation.

Sorry about your luck

Snowbear

Post by Snowbear » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:25 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 pm
Here is the abstract of the study, which say performance is NOT compromised by meditation
That's not what it says. It just says they didn't notice any difference in performance of the tasks done for this study. Meditation's effects on performance would require many more studies on just that topic to make the claim you are making. Neither is this being misrepresented by the news sources.
The different wording between the fake news sources
Continually crying "fake news" makes it hard for me to take you seriously.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm

SunWuKong wrote:

Here is the abstract of the study, which say performance is NOT compromised by meditation, which is misinterpreted by NYT AND Boing Boing.

The different wording between the fake news sources and the actual scientific study are crucial. It's a blatant misrepresentation.

Sorry about your luck
Right. Overall performance does not seem to be affected positively or negatively by meditation in their studies - which surprised the authors of the study, who are also the authors of the article that appeared in the New York Times. Other studies suggest that meditation improves performance, so the authors were a little surprised when they didn't see any difference. Further studies suggested that the people who meditated were less motivated to work, suggesting that the gains that should have been observed were canceled by reduced motivation. Further, they found that incentives didn't improve the performance of meditators, either.

BoingBoing spun that finding humorously.

Before coming with guns blazing, one might want to make sure the guns are loaded.
Entered a stupa compound

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm
SunWuKong wrote:

Sorry about your luck
Right. Overall performance does not seem to be affected positively or negatively by meditation in their studies - which surprised the authors of the study, who are also the authors of the article that appeared in the New York Times. Other studies suggest that meditation improves performance, so the authors were a little surprised when they didn't see any difference. Further studies suggested that the people who meditated were less motivated to work, suggesting that the gains that should have been observed were canceled by reduced motivation. Further, they found that incentives didn't improve the performance of meditators, either.

BoingBoing spun that finding humorously.

Before coming with guns blazing, one might want to make sure the guns are loaded.
Okay, humorously misstating the case can be forgiven. From now on I'll remember Boing-Boing is another Onion. I'm very familiar with people quoting a scientific survey as saying this and when checking the survey itself finding out it actually said that which is why alluded to fact-checking and ignored the other claim that "this kind of meditation is dangerous" But maybe that was meant as a joke too?

Return to “News & Current Events”