Football World Cup.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Simon E.

Football World Cup.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Anyone apart from me interested?
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Norwegian

Re: Football World Cup.

Post by Norwegian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm
I'm mildly interested since I can watch all the matches via streaming (which is convenient since I don't have a TV, though I won't watch all of them of course). But the days of being so interested in football that I scream at the ref or call a random player a [harsh expletive not specified here for reasons] due to missing a good pass opportunity or failing the play in a big time, are long gone...

Still, I do enjoy the World Cup, and as usual I have sympathies with South American teams, and also hope Japan will do well. So when Mexico beat Germany 1-0 that was quite awesome.

My favorite team has always been Brazil, and the first World Cup that I truly paid attention to was the dreadful 1990 World Cup. My two teams then were Brazil and Italy. In 1994 it was Brazil again, and this time I paid a lot more attention since I also half-actively played football myself. 1998 was also a World Cup I was actively engaged in, as well as 2002. But that was the last time. 2006 I was very much lukewarm to the entire thing (compared to being emotionally engaged at the highest level like many football fans are I guess). So from 1994 to 2002 I could probably tell you the name of every single Brazilian that played for the national squad, be it in the World Cups, Copa America tournaments, or any other cup or friendly (this led to amusing situations where I worked before, as one of my coworkers was from Brazil).

All time favorite player? Romário.

I'm cheering for Brazil, Mexico, and Japan this cup. But if anybody lose that's not really a problem.

I guess you're following England? Any other teams?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Mexico and Japan.

Was really impressed with Mexico's win the other day. And Japan... that win over Columbia was remarkable. Athletically they were far outclassed, but that tenacity and relentless attack was fun to watch. It helped that they were up 11 on 10 for most of the game, but still, Japan put their foot down on Columbia's throat and never let up. Haven't seen Japan finish like that since... I won't get political. It was a gem of a game.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm
I'm not always interested but this year has been more interesting than usual for me, I've found that working in a pub means I'm getting to watch more games than I would at home so I've got to see some impressive football from the likes of Japan.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 pm

Well clearly my main men are the English team..but I have a real soft spot for Iceland!

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Well clearly my main men are the English team..but I have a real soft spot for Iceland!
Oh yes, I definitely want Iceland to do well. I had forgotten about them already, shows how much I'm invested into this... :D

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I love that thing they do with the overhead clap and the oooh!

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 am

I'm getting into it, despite never growing up in the whole soccer/football culture growing up in the US. We cheered for Mexico, that win against Germany was awesome. My Scottish husband said the Germans are a bunch of mid-field playing douchebags, whereas Mexico played with a lot more zest. His game analysis makes watching pretty entertaining sometimes.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:34 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 am
I'm getting into it, despite never growing up in the whole soccer/football culture growing up in the US. We cheered for Mexico, that win against Germany was awesome. My Scottish husband said the Germans are a bunch of mid-field playing douchebags, whereas Mexico played with a lot more zest. His game analysis makes watching pretty entertaining sometimes.
By any metric Germany has been the most successful team in world cups for over half a century. Yes, Brazil and Argentina are more fun to watch, because they have individually better players. But they cannot play as a team. The only two sides who consistently can are Germany, because they're, well, German, and Holland, because most of them went through the Ajax training system and they all play the same way.

Generally World Cup football is fun because it's random. Teams play unpredictably. Some African country with players you've never heard of gets through to the quarter-finals. Brazil blows up in a critical match. But it's not great football. The best club sides in most countries play considerably better than the national sides.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:34 am

Us Aussies are hoping for a miracle against Denmark tonight, as that it what it will take.

Meanwhile, I was amused by this Slate article on the demise of Morocco and their ‘comically good-looking’ coach, Herve Renard. ‘A jawline like a yacht’. :smile:
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 am
A slightly simplistic view of German football in general :smile: . But this current team on present showing are not as good as their predecessors, and Mexico certainly deserved their win.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:34 am
Us Aussies are hoping for a miracle against Denmark tonight, as that it what it will take.

Meanwhile, I was amused by this Slate article on the demise of Morocco and their ‘comically good-looking’ coach, Herve Renard. ‘A jawline like a yacht’. :smile:
Glad to see them go..dirty players. Likewise Saudi. One of the BBC commentators asked the other what he thought of the Moroccan team after a particularly bizarre goalmouth pile up.." They are entertaining" he replied," but it will never replace football".. :lol:

I suspect it wasn't original, but it amused me.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:34 am

Well 30 minutes in the Socceroos are one down, but they are certainly having a real go..!

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Your lot have just drawn level by a penalty Wayfarer! :thumbsup:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pm

And that's how it finished 1-1. So the Socceroos live to fight another day. :smile:

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Pretty sure Argentina won't advance. Talk about failure.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Went down to get some pizza and caught that second goal.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:25 am

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm
Your lot have just drawn level by a penalty Wayfarer! :thumbsup:
Yeah I caught it when I got up - match itself was past my bed-time. There's still a chance that Australia will go through, albeit a slim chance. Still, they're miles ahead of where they used to be in the world rankings a generation ago - 2-1 and 1-1 against top European teams is not a terrible result.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 am

Norwegian wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm
Yeah, one loss and one draw for Argentina; it's not looking good for them. Lionel Messi has 5 Golden ball awards, an Olympic Gold medal, over 600 goals in world-class competitions, just about every kind of Football award one can get . . . except a World Cup victory.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 am

DNS wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 am
Norwegian wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm
Yeah, one loss and one draw for Argentina; it's not looking good for them. Lionel Messi has 5 Golden ball awards, an Olympic Gold medal, over 600 goals in world-class competitions, just about every kind of Football award one can get . . . except a World Cup victory.
Its strange isn't it..a great player that never performs well at the World Cup.
Contrast that with his great rival for current Best In The World, Ronaldo.

Return to “News & Current Events”