Football World Cup.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Simon E.

Re: Football World Cup.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am

Your analysis might be correct. It might just be that the South American game has become outmoded. If that is right they will be forced to concentrate on strategy and team work because the 'dark arts' are no longer tolerated. My own view is that the result is a much more enjoyable spectacle.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 am

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am
Your analysis might be correct. It might just be that the South American game has become outmoded. If that is right they will be forced to concentrate on strategy and team work because the 'dark arts' are no longer tolerated. My own view is that the result is a much more enjoyable spectacle.
It does make for a better game.

The success of Latin American football in recent decades, or relative lack thereof, probably reflects a number of failings in the game, of which this is one. There's also serious institutional corruption in many countries' national leagues, and a lack of resourcing and competence in the management of the national squads. However the competition - the smaller European national squads, some countries in Asia and Africa - are increasingly getting their act together. It was great to see Uruguay being successful again this year after so long out of the spotlight. But the other countries do need to raise their game.

Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:19 am

PeterC wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 am
It was great to see Uruguay being successful again this year after so long out of the spotlight. But the other countries do need to raise their game.
Uruguay finished 4th in 2010 world cup, too.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am

Yes I was cheering them on. (Uruguay).
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 am
Actually I did know that Simon. I went to school in Scotland for a term or two, back in the day. The Scots were definitely, and defiantly, not English.

And, as an Aussie, I have at least some understanding of the roundball game now, by dint of having brought up two sons who both started in Under Six teams - and both still play. I wished I had had the chance as a kid, they made me play rugby and I hated it.
Wot?
That's a Real Game, that is.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:44 pm

But it's not the Beautiful Game, Cone... :smile:

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:44 pm
But it's not the Beautiful Game, Cone... :smile:
True, LOL. Rugby's a beautiful mess. :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Regarding Rugby vs Soccer - there’s an English saying, ‘football is a gentleman’s game enjoyed by thugs, and rugby is a thugs’ game enjoyed by gentlemen’ [all due apologies for gender-specific language.]

My compulsory playing of rugby as a school-child was an unfortunate experience [particularly for my long-suffering dad who had been quite good at it] as I had no aptitude for it, and certainly none of the confidence, or aggression, required to compete. The only school sport I enjoyed was called ‘adventure training’ whih was basically a way to get out of cricket - it was cross-country hiking and map-reading.
Meditating is learning to love nothing.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm
Regarding Rugby vs Soccer - there’s an English saying, ‘football is a gentleman’s game enjoyed by thugs, and rugby is a thugs’ game enjoyed by gentlemen’ [all due apologies for gender-specific language.]

My compulsory playing of rugby as a school-child was an unfortunate experience [particularly for my long-suffering dad who had been quite good at it] as I had no aptitude for it, and certainly none of the confidence, or aggression, required to compete. The only school sport I enjoyed was called ‘adventure training’ whih was basically a way to get out of cricket - it was cross-country hiking and map-reading.
Rugby - both versions - is brutal compared to both Aussie Rules (which I grew up with) and soccer.

I would have liked soccer better than Aussie Rules, if I had been introduced to it, but in Victoria ... :toilet:

:coffee:
Kim

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:00 am

Rugby league is the main game played in my part of Australia. All of my 3 boys played it and with the state of origin series over it was great to see a blues win.
One of my nephews is a very good rugby union player and has recently got a run with the brumbies team.

Return to “News & Current Events”