Football World Cup.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Karma Dorje

Re: Football World Cup.

Post by Karma Dorje » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm

As the parent of an aspiring footballer, we are all football mad in this house watching every match. While the Oranje are my team generally, with them out I am really happy to see Belgium firing on all cylinders. Hazard and Lukaku are in phenomenal form. Could this be the year they make the final? I certainly hope so!

England has one of the strongest teams they have fielded in recent memory. I think they have a real shot to actually win the tournament. And yes, if Iceland went all the way, even as a neutral I would be over the moon. They have showed how excellent organization, sound strategy and a never-say-die belief in themselves wins out over the spectacular individual talent of a side like Argentina that can't seem to gel on the biggest stage in the world (beyond shocking that Dybala isn't a starter). I am mystified with some of the team selections... how can Deschamps not even select Benzema, one of the finest target men in game?!
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that." - Bill Shankly
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 am
DNS wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 am
Norwegian wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm
Pretty sure Argentina won't advance. Talk about failure.
Yeah, one loss and one draw for Argentina; it's not looking good for them. Lionel Messi has 5 Golden ball awards, an Olympic Gold medal, over 600 goals in world-class competitions, just about every kind of Football award one can get . . . except a World Cup victory.
Its strange isn't it..a great player that never performs well at the World Cup.
Contrast that with his great rival for current Best In The World, Ronaldo.
Here's how Argentina (Messi) can still make it to the next rounds:

Argentina wins against Nigeria this Tuesday.
Croatia win or draw against Iceland this Tuesday.

That will give Argentina 4 points and Nigeria finishes with 3 points and Iceland with 1 point, so Argentina would finish 2nd in their group, enough to continue.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm

I think its likely that Croatia will beat Iceland..but on form to date in this competition I can see Nigeria possibly beating Argentina..Its all getting interesting.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Karma Dorje wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm
As the parent of an aspiring footballer, we are all football mad in this house watching every match. While the Oranje are my team generally, with them out I am really happy to see Belgium firing on all cylinders. Hazard and Lukaku are in phenomenal form. Could this be the year they make the final? I certainly hope so!

England has one of the strongest teams they have fielded in recent memory. I think they have a real shot to actually win the tournament. And yes, if Iceland went all the way, even as a neutral I would be over the moon. They have showed how excellent organization, sound strategy and a never-say-die belief in themselves wins out over the spectacular individual talent of a side like Argentina that can't seem to gel on the biggest stage in the world (beyond shocking that Dybala isn't a starter). I am mystified with some of the team selections... how can Deschamps not even select Benzema, one of the finest target men in game?!
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that." - Bill Shankly
Yes Belgium are a real force to be reckoned with, and Iceland must be high on the list of everyone's second team :smile:
This England team under Southgate show real promise, I will be pleased if we get to the semis.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Iceland disappointed today. They had plenty of chances in the first half, but come second half they just collapsed and Nigeria took over. To then get a legit penalty, as decided via VAR, only to blast the ball high over the bar, that is just depressing to watch.

Brazil earlier were OK but I feel like they aren't doing enough. When I think about Brazil, at least to me, the kind of Brazil that invokes awe and amazement, is the 1994 - 2002 era, where they were absolute behemoths. Not invincible, but close to it. And when I look at the recent iterations of the Brazil seleção, it just feels like a lesser version. But I'll admit I've not watched a lot of matches with the current squad. I do hope that they can turn it up, because they need to, if they want to win this thing.

Other than that this World Cup feels a little lackluster. It needs more goals scored. I don't want a re-run of South Africa 2010, although I suppose it's difficult to get that depressing, not to mention the distinct lack of vuvuzelas for everybody now (which is a massive plus).

Looking forward to Korea vs. Mexico tomorrow.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 pm

I thought there were glimpses today of what Brazil could be. Hopefully, that will happen during this present tournament.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Holy Cow!

🐄

Germany pulls off a victory, in literally the final seconds; the final 30 seconds of the game. Now, no one in that group has advanced or been eliminated yet, going into the final game for each team next week.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Edge of the seat stuff! That final free kick was superbly done.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 am

Its hotting up in Russia.
Belgium, Mexico and Croatia beginning to fire on all cylinders..Brazil and France waking up..
And England ( huzzah!) play Panama later today.

:popcorn:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 pm

England scores 8 minutes in!

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm

24 minutes England 2 Panama 0. Despite Panama pulling every crooked trick in the book.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm watching on Telemundo and didn't catch what the commentators said, nor do I think my Spanish is good enough to identify what they said, but wasn't that penalty situation actually an offside right before? As in, the play that made the situation where the penalty occurred, should've been an offside? Looked like it on the brief replay I got to watch.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Well, this match dissolved a long time ago...

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:29 pm
I'm watching on Telemundo and didn't catch what the commentators said, nor do I think my Spanish is good enough to identify what they said, but wasn't that penalty situation actually an offside right before? As in, the play that made the situation where the penalty occurred, should've been an offside? Looked like it on the brief replay I got to watch.
It was looked at on VAR and the goal stood.

5-0 At half time..

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:45 pm

FIFA knew of Russian soccer doping, did nothing, new investigation finds

FIFA refused to act on significant evidence of widespread doping in Russia soccer, according to a new investigative report from the Mail on Sunday that reinforces past reports of similar failures.

Soccer’s global governing body – which has, over the past two decades, been one of the most corrupt in sports – was aware of what the Mail calls “documentary proof of institutional cover-ups” 18 months before the start of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The Mail had previously reported that all 23 members of Russia’s 2014 World Cup squad were among dozens of players under investigation. FIFA, though, was reportedly slow to seek evidence. And last month it cleared all 28 members of Russia’s 2018 preliminary squad, citing “insufficient evidence.”

A week earlier, however, a 29th player had been removed from the squad. His name is Ruslan Kambolov. And his case is crucial.
The rest here: https://sports.yahoo.com/fifa-knew-russ ... 58754.html

So, for those of you who wonder why the Russian football team are running around non-stop like machines, now you know...

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm

The game against Panama ended 6-1. And England advance to the next round..however, the next game is against Belgium which is a horse of a different colour..
As it has been described a number of times this World Cup, Belgium is a team of superstars

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:00 pm

This World Cup continues to surprise..Japan and Senegal have just drawn. Which throws that group wide open.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm
The game against Panama ended 6-1. And England advance to the next round..however, the next game is against Belgium which is a horse of a different colour..
As it has been described a number of times this World Cup, Belgium is a team of superstars
England and Belgium are both in to the next round. Their next game against each other is meaningless, isn't it? Why do they even have to play? In baseball if the home team is up after 8 and a half innings, there is no need for them to play their final inning (chance at bat and scoring) since it would be meaningless as they have already won.

Perhaps it's just for seeding of the next round?

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm

I think that's the reason, David.
But of course, it could be incidentally important in terms of momentum for the winning team.
The English team arrived needing a morale boost after the national teams recent performances in International tournaments. A good performance against Belgium would see them start the knock out rounds really fired up.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:51 am

I appreciate that Russia was finally exposed today against Uruguay. And it's been a delight to see Mexico perform as well as they have.

This is one substory at work at this years WC that can stand as a reminder of How Samsara Works. Remember that Serbia-Switzerland match? Behold:
FIFA has announced that it has opened an investigation into Switzerland players Xherdan Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka in light of both players’ politically charged goal celebrations during Switzerland’s 2-1 win over Serbia yesterday.

Both celebrations, which involved the hand gesture you can see above known as the Albanian eagle, were references to Shaqiri’s and Xhaka’s Kosovar Albanian heritage. Albanians were a persecuted minority of the former Yugoslavia, and the tensions between them and Serbians remain. Kosovo, the national home of many Albanians, only declared independence from Serbia and Montenegro in 2008. The Albanian eagle hand gesture is meant to mirror the two-headed eagle depicted on the Albanian flag.
Wait, investigating two players for making a patriotic hand gesture? Go on.
Setting things off in typically disgusting soccer fan fashion were some Serbian fans who wore shirts with the face of Ratko Mladić, a genocidal war criminal of the Yugoslavian army. Serbian fans also booed Shaqiri and Xhaka on the pitch.

haqiri and Xhaka responded to the tense atmosphere in the best way possible. Xhaka scored a wondergoal to tie the match up early in the second half, and Shaqiri scored the winner in the 90th minute. Both players celebrated their badass goals with the same eagle hand gesture.
OK, so the ones who took the moral high ground while outperforming their opponent are investigated? Let's take a closer look still:
Shaqiri and Xhaka weren’t the only participants in that match to be placed under investigation, however. Serbia’s manager, Mladen Krstajić, will also be investigated due to these bizarre comments in reference to a penalty he believes his team deserved but didn’t receive:

“We were robbed,” he said. “I wouldn’t give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to the Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us.”

Krstajic also posted photographs from the match on his Instagram account, accompanied by the comment: “Unfortunately, it seems that only the Serbs are condemned to a selective justice, once (it was) the damned Hague and today in football the VAR...”
Fascists are sore losers. Remember this when it's your turn to humiliate a brownshirt.

https://deadspin.com/fifa-will-investig ... 1827080111

Return to “News & Current Events”