Boers bent on relocating to Russia

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Dan74
Founding Member

Re: Boers bent on relocating to Russia

Post by Dan74 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 am

The left came to be dominated by the urban middle class who look down on the workers. I think Corbyn in the UK tries to bring Labor to its roots and the backlash againat him has been very telling - prior to the last election, the left-wing journalists almost unanimously denounced him as an irrelevant throwback and prophesied electoral wipeout. How wrong and wilfully blind did they prove to be! Ordinary decent folks don't want to vote for Hansons and Duttons of this world, but they want someone 1ho actually listens to them.

BTW, Shaun, you might like this article (highly recommend for everyone, especially the Aussies here): https://meanjin.com.au/essays/in-defenc ... ing-class/

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks Dan. That was a good read and I could relate a lot to it. I come from a working class family in a working class town, I joke that it's a bit like Noah's ark, there's at least 2 of everything.
We're a bit luckier than in the city. Because of the small size and population, integration is more or less enforced and there's really no race based ghettos to speak of.
Sport is the big thing in our town that brings everyone together and of course the unending chase for money.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am

shaunc wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am
... I come from a working class family in a working class town, I joke that it's a bit like Noah's ark, there's at least 2 of everything.
We're a bit luckier than in the city. Because of the small size and population, integration is more or less enforced and there's really no race based ghettos to speak of.
Sport is the big thing in our town that brings everyone together and of course the unending chase for money.
Yes, that's one of the advantages of smaller communities. It still works fairly well here (getting up around 200 000 people) but you start losing it at about this size. My routines bring me into contact with ten or more nationalities every week but there are some groups, mostly recent arrivals, I have no regular contact with.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “News & Current Events”