Buddhist group leader steps down over sexual assault claims

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
LuisR

Buddhist group leader steps down over sexual assault claims

Post by LuisR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 am

[Mod note: this post moved from here to it's own thread.]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ult-claims

Emmet

Re: Buddhist group leader steps down over sexual assault claims

Post by Emmet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:00 pm

I can't say that I'm surprised; cult-like dynastic deified guru-worship taken to it's logical conclusion. I'm certainly no expert on Shambala (though I have read a history of the organization and a biography of Chögyam Trungpa, so I'm not completely ignorant), but I've always been highly skeptical of it; not only because of Chögyam Trungpa's well-known alcoholism and licentious behavior, but also my brother's, who's been an active member of Shambala for perhaps 30 years. Despite being a member of a large active sangha in a large city, his raging alcoholism (and all that entails) has continued unabated, I strongly suspect aided and abetted by their whole libertine "crazy wisdom" BS rationalization. What's good for the goose is apparently considered good for a whole flock of ganders. This toxic enabling has resulted in a whole panoply of aberrant, and increasingly rageful and violent, behavior, overlaid with a baroque facade of pseudo-Buddhist intense religiosity, including Brownshirt look-alike paramilitary uniforms, lots of fluttering khata, and showy displays of rote-memorization gathas in a language he doesn't understand and whose meaning he clearly doesn't comprehend, all the while waxing loquacious with a meaningless word salad of Buddhist buzzwords while practicing a dark inverted version of the Precepts as if by malicious intent; indulging in and expressing the Three Poisons full throttle. I regret that I can't seem to practice my vows with the same fervor, diligence, and intensity with which he breaks his. Buddhists make up about 1.2% of the American population, so it's a fair bet that my brother is the only Buddhist anyone in his milieu has ever been exposed to. Needless to say, based upon years of this (and news reports from Burma), most of my family (and undoubtedly others) have gone from a hopeful tolerance to a deep revulsion of Buddhism. I honestly doubt that he (and everyone around him) would've suffered the same outcome had he glommed onto a different Buddhist tradition which wasn't quite so laissez-faire.
On the other hand, I used to sit with a fellow in my previous sangha that came to us from Shambala. He was sane, sober, and upright; a good friend and Dharma brother, so who knows? It's certainly true that the only Zen you find on a mountaintop is that which you brought with you, yet I remain deeply suspicious of Shambala.

www.andreamwinn.com/pdfs/Project_Sunshi ... Report.pdf
andreamwinn.com/project_sunshine/Buddhi ... Report.pdf
andreamwinn.com/project_sunshine/Buddhi ... Report.pdf

Return to “News & Current Events”