California wine radioactive

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Minobu

California wine radioactive

Post by Minobu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm

i saw this on the news and freaked
traces of radioactivity in California wine

what i wonder about is this.

How much is being downplayed due to financial devastation?

What of other agricultural products?

If i eat some California broccoli and cauliflower with green beans , am i being poisoned further?

More frightening video

I was made fun of online in another forum a few years back when i said Japan was radiated from this accident and it would spread all over the world.

The whole bored said it was nonsense, for we would be told.

maybe cause the rich drink wine they needed to be told, finally .

i have stayed clear of Japanese seaweed since the accident...what about car parts?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: California wine radioactive

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 pm

Minobu wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm
i have stayed clear of Japanese seaweed since the accident...what about car parts?
What about sex with Japanese people? Would it cause your penis to glow from the radiation?

I think you will find that Californian radiation is home grown (from testing, radioactive waste dump sites and accidents) and not of the imported Japanese variety.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 pm

As the article states the levels in the wine are less than what we are exposed to naturally, so there's no need to worry.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Sunlight is radioactive.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:52 am

Minobu wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm
i saw this on the news and freaked
traces of radioactivity in California wine

what i wonder about is this.

How much is being downplayed due to financial devastation?

What of other agricultural products?

If i eat some California broccoli and cauliflower with green beans , am i being poisoned further?

More frightening video

I was made fun of online in another forum a few years back when i said Japan was radiated from this accident and it would spread all over the world.

The whole bored said it was nonsense, for we would be told.

maybe cause the rich drink wine they needed to be told, finally .

Snopes to the rescue - as always!
The EPA threshold for acceptable amounts of arsenic in drinking water is 10 parts per billion. Which, as you probably can figure out, is not very much at all. Now it’s quite logical on one level to be worried about a wine that exceeds that level. But on the other hand think about how much water you drink relative to how much wine you drink.The average adult generally consumes somewhere around two liters of water per day. If they’re seriously lucky, or seriously happy, an adult might consume a full liter (almost 1.5 bottles) of wine on one particular day. But seven days per week? Then we’re into serious alcoholism territory. And that’s what you’d have to do in order to get yourself a dose of arsenic that approached the amount that the EPA says you should be able to consume safely in your drinking water.

Here’s another data point for you. Apple juice and pear juice contain up to two or three times as much arsenic as drinking water as a matter of course. The Food and Drug Administration has known this for years. In fact the acceptable threshold for traces of arsenic in juice is much higher than it is for water, a fact that the FDA explains by simply saying that people don’t drink as much juice as they do water.
:reading: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/calif ... s-arsenic/

We should all really, really, reaallly do five minutes' research before getting worried about wild claims online - especially facebook and youtube :rolleye: - and (even worse) sharing them. :toilet:
Snopes is usually onto them pretty fast, and almost anything that doesn't show up in Wikipedia or the major media outlets - CNN, Reuters, NY Times, BBC, Guardian - is either old or :alien: or both.

:namaste:
Kim

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:13 pm

A few years ago the scare was that some of us were going to die from living in homes built on top of granite, as it emits radioactive radon gas. As my house was built from granite and on granite I clearly should be dead after 10 years exposure, and the current scare is that your granite kitchen worktops are going to gas you until you glow.

Meanwhile, nobody much worries about the stockpiled nuclear arsenal in tunnels under our homes, because clever people are in charge of them and so it is safe. I mean, it's not like the Russians will ever come to Wiltshire............. Then there are the two leaky nuclear power stations nearby.......

But no, we should worry about the wine. :crazy:
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:52 am

The EPA threshold for acceptable amounts of arsenic in drinking water is 10 parts per billion. Which, as you probably can figure out, is not very much at all. Now it’s quite logical on one level to be worried about a wine that exceeds that level. But on the other hand think about how much water you drink relative to how much wine you drink.The average adult generally consumes somewhere around two liters of water per day. If they’re seriously lucky, or seriously happy, an adult might consume a full liter (almost 1.5 bottles) of wine on one particular day. But seven days per week? Then we’re into serious alcoholism territory. And that’s what you’d have to do in order to get yourself a dose of arsenic that approached the amount that the EPA says you should be able to consume safely in your drinking water.

Here’s another data point for you. Apple juice and pear juice contain up to two or three times as much arsenic as drinking water as a matter of course. The Food and Drug Administration has known this for years. In fact the acceptable threshold for traces of arsenic in juice is much higher than it is for water, a fact that the FDA explains by simply saying that people don’t drink as much juice as they do water.

We should all really, really, reaallly do five minutes' research before getting worried about wild claims online - especially facebook and youtube :rolleye: - and (even worse) sharing them. :toilet:
Snopes is usually onto them pretty fast, and almost anything that doesn't show up in Wikipedia or the major media outlets - CNN, Reuters, NY Times, BBC, Guardian - is either old or :alien: or both.

Kim
the articles posted are about radiation and not arsenic..

Radiation from damaged nuclear plants are serious...
The California wine is contaminated...is the food?
have a nice day.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Minobu wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:52 am

Kim
the articles posted are about radiation and not arsenic..
:emb:
My bad. Sorry. I slipped from one contamination to the other in my five minutes' research. The results for arsenic in Californian wines are actually very similar to the results for radiation in them, i.e. nothing to worry about and it's all a huge beat-up, and we can forget about it.

Here are some of my other search results so you can read them for yourself.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/ca ... -bad-thing

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 882964.php
In the half decade since a nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan, melted down, scientists have found no levels of nuclear radiation along the California coast that would be harmful to humans.
https://www.livescience.com/63131-fukus ... -wine.html
The researchers used two methods to look for traces of a radioactive isotope called cesium-137. The first method was developed about 20 years ago and could detect the particles through the wine bottle, without destroying or opening it. Since the presence of cesium-137 prior to 1952 is impossible (it's a man-made isotope first released into the surroundings by nuclear testing in the mid-20th century), it has proven quite effective for detecting fraud in old vintage wines, according to the study.

For a more accurate detection, the researchers destroyed the wines through heating and reducing them "to ashes," they wrote. They tested for the cesium-137 in those ashes.

Though they did find increased levels of the radioactive waste, experts say there is nothing to worry about, according to The New York Times. There are no "health and safety concerns to California residents," the California Department of Public Health told the Times.

The levels of radioactive toxins found in food and drinks outside of Japan is too low to be dangerous, according the World Health Organization.

Even in Japan at the core of the meltdown, though over 100,000 people were evacuated from their homes, there have been no deaths or radiation sickness reported so far, according to the World Nuclear Association. Further, most bottles of wine made after 1952 do contain at least a little bit of this nuclear twist.
Minobu wrote: Radiation from damaged nuclear plants are serious...
Yes.
If there's enough of it.
The California wine is contaminated...is the food?
Yes, of course. But the levels are far too low to affect you.

Kim

Return to “News & Current Events”