As fewer people visit....

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
如傑優婆塞

As fewer people visit....

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:09 am

...Japanese temples aim to attract younger visitors with disco balls and planetarium shows.

Buddhist temples in western Japan are becoming unlikely sites for entertainment, putting on 1970s and ’80s disco music and planetarium shows to attract young people and regain their status as places for community gatherings.
More here

Bristollad

Re: As fewer people visit....

Post by Bristollad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:35 am

In the UK, a similar phenomena is the use of Friends Meeting Houses by the local community. These halls are used by Quakers (the Society of Friends) for their meetings but also hired out for use by the local community. They are quite popular with hirers because the facilities are normally good, the cost reasonable and Quakers place no unreasonable restrictions on who can hire: dance class, yoga class, Tai Chi class, no problem. In fact, I know in Bristol, that the same Meeting House was used on the same day for a Mums and Toddlers group, a dance class (ballroom), two Tai Chi classes and a Sri Lankan cultural group which included Tamils and Sinhalese who met up to gossip and share traditional food. That same meeting house provided space for a muslim group to hold Friday Prayers for several years before they were able to establish their own mosque. Providing space for the community seems a good idea, and it moves religion a little way from being merely for birth, marriage and death.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:33 am

Pretty sure my grandparents met at a Church Hall dance.....
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:02 pm

I've just returned home from a trip to the Philippines. In the small fishing village my wife is originally from the local catholic church is used as a boxing gym 2 or 3 nights/week and on a Saturday night the local teenagers use it for drinking beer and dancing.
Personally I think that it's a good idea, otherwise it's just a waste of real estate.

Return to “News & Current Events”