not so simple questions

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
clyde

not so simple questions

Post by clyde » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Can political and social issues be addressed applying Buddhist teachings? And if so, do you apply Buddhist teachings when addressing political and social issues?

I believe Buddhist teaching can be applied. And I acknowledge that it’s sometimes difficult to do so; but it seems the more difficult it is, the more it’s needed.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

clyde

Re: not so simple questions

Post by clyde » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 am

Here’s some help:
How to Practice Metta for a Troubled Time

Metta meditation is not a magical spell you can cast on the population of the U.S. in order to produce a state of utopian bliss. It is not a cure-all for oppression and the unequal distribution of power and privilege.

Metta meditation doesn’t work like that. It’s about being determined, courageous, and patient in purifying your own heart and mind.

:
:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., talked about the need for “aggressive nonviolence.” There are times and situations in which we have to show up and throw down, and this may be such a time. Whether I do that from a mind of toxic hatred, or from a mind that recognizes that every human being has at some point been my mother, my parent, or guardian, depends on how well I practice metta.

https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practi ... bled-time/

p.s: I’ve had the good fortune to sit with Mushim on a few occasions.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:42 am

Very good points, Clyde. I think the key requirement is distinterest or detachment - which is not a apathy or ‘not giving a damn’, but learning to respond from the perspective of ‘what really needs to be done’, rather than ‘how I feel’ or ‘what I want’. I think Buddhist principles certainly point in that direction, but actually walking the walk is quite demanding. But it’s the kind of attitude in which Buddhists and followers of other faith traditions can find some common ground.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

clyde

Post by clyde » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:03 am

I remember reading an online article about a Tibetan monk, a freedom-fighter, who was beaten and tortured by his Chinese prison guards. I read the article many years ago and I don’t recall if the story was told by the monk himself, or by the Dalai Lama, or by the writer of the article. I recall being impressed that the monk did not express anger or hatred towards the guards, but was concerned with the bad karma they were creating. And I recall thinking how strong his faith was and how strong the Buddha’s teachings are.

I’ve tried to identify the article, but can’t. I’m not even sure who the monk in the story was, but I’ve come to believe it was probably Palden Gyatso.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am

Actually I have a recollection of a similar story, possibly the same one, told by the Dalai Lama. He asked the monk something like, did you ever think you were in real danger during that long incarceration, and got an answer something like, 'only when there was the danger of feeling hatred towards them' [his jailers]. I found that a very moving story.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “News & Current Events”