Shooting in a Florida Yoga Studio

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Tlalok

Re: Shooting in a Florida Yoga Studio

Post by Tlalok » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Nemo wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:58 am
He was one of those troubled incels.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... line-video

A bit explicit but the best explanation of incels I have heard.
Of course he was. We had one of these frak run down 12 people in a truck earlier in the year in my city. They're a radical terrorist organization and are more dangerous than ISIS to the West. Pity they're mostly white so no one is going to deal with them systemically.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Didn't make it through that whole video, but the Red Pill is poison. Its one of the conclusions to their creed - the ultimate one arguably, even if the other options might be possible for a while. But those are just rebellion against the inevitability of the Red Pill.

The only way to address it is through a more compelling and comprehensive narrative. Unfortunately, that involves displacing the materialist/consumerist narrative in general. That is a tall order.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 am

Watching that video it's hard not to conclude that a large part of the problem is modern communications technology. Fifty years ago there were of course homicidal deranged misogynists, as there always has been. What wasn't available then was readily-accessible communities that validated and encouraged this, and directed it towards outright violence. Similar things could be said about racism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism and a range of other issues. Tolerating the existence of those communities by reason of the fig-leaf of free speech is something society needs to reconsider.

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:07 am
PeterC wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Clearly this only happened because there weren’t enough yoga practitioners carrying guns. We need regulations requiring armed guards at all yoga studios. Lululemon needs to start selling holsters.
So sad I have to laugh, and cry.
If a silencer then yeah. Yoga is quiet.
I got my Chili Chilaya.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm

PeterC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 am
Watching that video it's hard not to conclude that a large part of the problem is modern communications technology.
Nope. Murderous hateful assholes have been organising mayhem both individually, as groups and at a societal level, well before the advent of modern communication technology.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Cross over the road, my friend.. (and don't trip on your words on the way across). :ugeek:

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm
PeterC wrote:
Watching that video it's hard not to conclude that a large part of the problem is modern communications technology.
Nope. Murderous hateful assholes have been organising mayhem both individually, as groups and at a societal level, well before the advent of modern communication technology.
I did say that...my point was that it’s a whole lot easier for them to find each other with the internet than with telegrams

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm

PeterC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm
Grigoris wrote:
PeterC wrote:
I did say that...my point was that it’s a whole lot easier for them to find each other with the internet than with telegrams
Dude, they used to find each other without telegrams too.

Take the Spanish Inquisition as an example: "Historian Hernando del Pulgar, contemporary of Ferdinand and Isabella, estimated that the Inquisition had burned at the stake 2000 people and reconciled another 15,000 by 1490 (just one decade after the Inquisition began)." http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... nquisition

That was just the Spanish Inquisition. There was a Portuguese and a Roman one as well.

So, yes, the internet makes it easier to organise, and guns make it easier to execute, but you don't really need either.

Another example is the Armenian Genocide: 1914-1923 (9 years) with 1.5 million people killed. No internet.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm
PeterC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Dude, they used to find each other without telegrams too.

Take the Spanish Inquisition as an example: "Historian Hernando del Pulgar, contemporary of Ferdinand and Isabella, estimated that the Inquisition had burned at the stake 2000 people and reconciled another 15,000 by 1490 (just one decade after the Inquisition began)." http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... nquisition

That was just the Spanish Inquisition. There was a Portuguese and a Roman one as well.

So, yes, the internet makes it easier to organise, and guns make it easier to execute, but you don't really need either.

Another example is the Armenian Genocide: 1914-1923 (9 years) with 1.5 million people killed. No internet.
this is so obviously not the same thing as the so-called ‘incels’, the modern kkk, etc

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:01 pm

PeterC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 pm
this is so obviously not the same thing as the so-called ‘incels’, the modern kkk, etc
Of they are not the same thing, they are just examples of how modern communication methods are not necessary blah-blah-blah...

What about the Nazis? They were also a small group of disgruntled losers with an extreme ideology. The Bolsheviks?

How many deaths were those two groups involved in?

Return to “News & Current Events”