Deepfakes

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
PeterC

Re: Deepfakes

Post by PeterC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:31 am

White House press briefings are a joke anyway. They were never particularly useful but this administration has made them a complete waste of time by using them to lie and grandstand. If the press corps had any professional integrity they would, as a group, just stop reporting them and leave Trump and Sanders alone in a room with Fox and Breitbart.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 am

Deepfakes are the least of our concerns, not that it isn't a concern, however, it's really just one singular method that will be used to write an entire fake history, and completely control society without anyone knowing any better.

Here is a fairly long introduction to what's currently going on with AI/Quantum Computing, etc.
The AI Cold War That Threatens Us All

Here is where thing's get a bit scarier: (This video is produced by people/corporations, whom are trying to ban automated ai military robots similarly to how chemical weapons etc are banned.) The video isn't real, it's essentially hyperbole, but it accurately shows how these robots do/will work. We already have the technology to create these in fact, and many countries are actively making them.

Here's the website of the people trying to get NATO to pass laws banning autonomous weaponry: https://autonomousweapons.org/

Here's a REAL video of these robots being released by the USA's military:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUdVxJ ... 0CmOld_cLA

Here is a more generalized video about the dangers of artificial intelligence. (when used by evil people..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwjba9qYXA

It's honestly extremely sad because AI has the potential to completely change humanity for the better, yet of course, the first way we decide to use it is for warfare, manipulating society, and controlling information/events, and people.

Artificial intelligence combined with quantum computing has the potential to do thing's that seem impossible by today's standards, for example with a REAL quantum computer, combined with AI, it's entirely possible, and feasible to create an AI that can accurately predict the future years in advance.

The only limiting factor is how much data the AI has access to, even today it would have access to a TON of data, just from scouring the internet, live cameras around the world, and using backdoors/viruses/worms to break into personal computers, networks, etc, it could gather enough information to accurately predict most events well in advance.

Knowing the future let's you change it, and so we will have both governments, and corporations so powerful that the public will not even know they are being completely controlled, every bit of information you get will be screened through AI systems that will modify information in real time, to manipulate people into behavior that benefits the creators of these AI's. In much the same way Russia manipulated the people of the USA into our current state of polarized political/ethnic/gender hostility. It's very easy to control people when you control every piece of information those people have access to.

I am a futurist, and even I find the rate at which AI is growing to be very unsettling. Mainly it's unsettling because AI is advancing at an absolutely insane rate, and we have not even begun to hold public conversations about limits, laws, or ethics concerning AI. By the time these things become talked about publicly, AI will be so advanced it will have grown utterly beyond the control of even the programmers/companies/governments who have created them. They will take on a life of their own, and the potential for us to end up completely dependent is guaranteed, and really just a matter of time now.

If you want to see another danger of AI, you can already see it with people calling to ban human drivers, and make only AI drivers legal. Self driving cars aren't even a big thing YET, and people are already talking about banning humans from driving.

I can’t wait for cities to start banning human drivers

The Human Driving Manifesto

Anyway, some more videos to watch if you want to be informed about AI:
Machines playing God: How A.I. will overcome humans | Max Tegmark

5G and The AI Control Grid]

Artificial Intelligence: Mankind's Last Invention
Last edited by Jesse on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 am

I am infinitely more terrified of humans than I am of AI.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 am
I am infinitely more terrified of humans than I am of AI.
That's exactly my point, Ai isn't 'bad' or 'dangerous' by it'self, it depends on the motives/methods of their creators, and owners. Ai like most thing's can be used for good, or evil, the thing is, AI is insanely powerful, so evil people with AI is EXTREMELY dangerous.

Ai in the right hands can do amazing things, Cure diseases, protect peoples privacy, optimize every facet of human society as we know it (reduce pollution, energy use, etc etc etc..)

It can also be used to entirely destroy our species.

Easiest example is using AI to monitor the internet for thing's it's owners don't like.. so say you made a twitter post criticizing chinas government, the next day (With NO HUMAN INTERVENTION, DECISIONS what SO ever.) A swarm of drones are released, and you are now one if it's targets, merely for making a twitter post. Entirely possible even today.

Say you wake up tomorrow, and see this outside your window:

That.. is absolutely frak terrifying.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

Jesse wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am
Entirely possible even today.
Possible but completely unlikely. It is much more likely that I will be awakened one day by a knock on the door by a member of security forces, than that a drone swarm is let loose on me. Infinitely more likely.

And you know what is the most likely? That I will die of cancer or heart disease. That's the most likely scenario. No AI, no repressive state, just boring old disease...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “News & Current Events”