Tulsi Gabbard

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Malcolm

Re: Tulsi Gabbard

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 am

Yuren wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 am
Malcolm: you said every Trump supporter is "racist" in this thread?
No. I said “Everyone who is not a racist is appalled by Trump.” There are many Republicans who are appalled by Trump, but support his policies. On the other hand, all Trump supporters that I personally know are racists and admit it.
Last edited by Malcolm on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:00 am

Yuren wrote:
QQ: there's no need to insult Tucker Carlson like that with the F word, especially on a Dharma forum.
And you're implying he says what he says only because of money - which is a projection as you have no evidence for that.
Do you watch Tucker Carlson? I do. And I've watched him for many years. When Bill O'Reilly was finally fired for sexually harassing women, Carlson got a chance at the prime time slot and adopted O'Reilly's message, 100%. Carlson, like his president, is a racist, or at least he plays one on TV for his audience.

https://www.gq.com/story/tucker-carlson-bigotry-boycott
https://www.gq.com/story/tucker-carlson ... y-terrible

As a non-white person, I can tell you, maybe just anecdotally, the racists in this country have been empowered by the election of Trump and have gotten bold in a way I haven't seen in 20 years. It definitely doesn't help when people masquerading as news casters encourage them and normalize these sentiments.

I'm not unique in observing Carlson's "evolution" over the years.
What’s more, Carlson’s politics have undergone more than one evolution over the course of his career in television. When he started out in the early 2000s on CNN’s Crossfire, he generally played the part of a mainline partisan—a champion of the Iraq War (he soured on the endeavor after a year), and an ardent Bush defender (he soured on the president after a term). After leaving CNN in 2005 he landed at MSNBC, where he morphed into a libertarian. And when his show there was cancelled less than three years later, he ended up at Fox News, serving as a utility pundit and eventually emerging as a mischief-making advocate for Trump-style nationalism.

A cynical soul might detect careerism in that trajectory. Carlson, for his part, readily admits that his worldview has transformed over the years. These days, he tells me, “I’m not much of an economic conservative, and I’m not conservative at all on foreign policy.” Nevertheless, he insists the evolution has been organic. “If your politics don’t change when circumstances do, you’re an idiot, you’re a reactionary.”
Yeah, we all rationalize ourselves so we can look at ourselves in the mirror. None of us want to admit we preen for others.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ew/516231/

The truth about Carlson is that although he mindlessly riffs on Trump's talking points, like Trump, he's a demagogue who went to really fancy private schools and sends his kids to really fancy private schools. He can afford to speak irresponsibly, for now, because he lives ensconced in privilege. Occasionally he makes reasonable points - he's not insane. But, like another horrible human being on Fox, Laura Ingraham, he says incredibly hurtful things. I don't know if he means them. Either way, he's a f*cker.

He deserves the epithet. Don't worry, he'd appreciate it coming from a pinko like me.

You don't live in this country. You do not see how Fox News creates a distortion field around their viewers, enabling the compulsive liar who is occupying the White House. There is a difference between real conservatives and the literal fake news talking heads like Hannity and Carlson dish on Fox. Even their own real news people are fed up with their talking heads and, to the amusement of news junkies like me, they're revolting, on air, actually doing news and challenging the president and his administration:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... about.html

https://people.com/politics/fox-news-ch ... interview/

But yeah, I'll try to hold off on the throwaway jokes.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 am
ford_truckin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Norwegian,

The sheer ignorance and vitriol you display regarding Trump is what's sad. See the things he's accomplished and re-evaluate yourself.

►Move the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

►Pull the United States out of the Iranian nuclear deal.

►Stand up to NATO countries for not ponying up enough money to cover the organization’s expenses and their own defense costs.

►Take on the news media and not back down, exposing bias and agenda-driven journalism intended to run him out of office.

►Put an intense focus on immigration, the importance of border security and the cost of illegal immigration, including U.S. citizens killed by the undocumented.

►Target the ruthless Salvadoran street gang MS-13.

►Picking James Mattis as Defense secretary, Nikki Haley as ambassador to the United Nations, John Kelly as White House chief of staff and Kellyanne Conway as senior adviser.

►Begin a dialogue with North Korea about ending its nuclear weapons program.

►Focus attention on Rust Belt states and give respect to white working-class voters, overlooked by the elites on both coasts.

►Challenge elitism and question what it means to be “elite.”

►Create millions of new jobs (the White House claims as many as 3 million) and bring unemployment down to 3.9 percent, the lowest since 2000.

►Focus national attention on the opiod crisis, including a look at doctors who overprescribe pain pills.

►Nominate impressive Supreme Court candidates Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

►Propose and help pass a tax cut and cut federal regulations.

►Renegotiate unfair trade deals in search of better terms.

►Target racial preferences at colleges and universities, which often hurt intended beneficiaries by lowering standards.

►Refocus immigration debate by ending DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) and trying to force Congress to confront the thorny issue of what to do with "Dreamers," who were brought to the USA illegally when they were kids.

►Shake up both the Republican and Democratic establishments and remain independent from the Washington cartel.

►Make politics more accessible to people who have rarely voted or cared about it, and widen the door of civic engagement.
You're serious?

You know, Hannity, F*cker Carlson, et al. over at Fox get paid millions to say these stupid things. What do you get?
This is obviously ford_truckin's feeding hole.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 am

Yuren wrote:
QQ: there's no need to insult Tucker Carlson like that with the F word, especially on a Dharma forum.
And you're implying he says what he says only because of money - which is a projection as you have no evidence for that.
Well, actually, there is. Since we're talking about him - which isn't something anyone should enjoy - we need to remember the interview debacle that got Crossfire taken off-air. This was in the days when he was cosplaying a serious journalist, complete with a bow-tie (which was probably a clip-on): these days he plays a racist bigot. It's all just $$$.

Malcolm: you said every Trump supporter is "racist" in this thread? That's quite elitist, gross generalizing. Very disappointing.
It is for this reason that he will win again, because of this unreflective demonization from the liberal left.
If you're an empiricist, then there are good statistical grounds to assume, when you meet a Trump supporter, that they're racist. It's possible that they're not racist but support Trump, who is a racist, despite their own moral convictions. But that is a fairly low-probability event.
If Trump's opponents want to have a chance, they should begin with a rational analysis of why he won.
Without immediately calling people racist. Actually, the reason why he won is manifested in this thread!
But more broadly, it is because Everyman did not feel represented by the corrupt liberal left of Clinton.
So they felt better represented by the even more corrupt plutocracy of the Republican party, because it made them *feel* better.
Bernie Sanders was the working class representative, but he got co-opted by the powers within the Democratic Party.
Show me the people in this thread that are arguing that Clinton was a better candidate than Sanders. Nobody is saying that. All the polling in the primaries showed very clearly that Sanders would have beaten trump but Clinton had worse odds.
So Trump was a middle finger by the working class, to the corrupt liberal-left elites.
Between "bad and worse", they chose "worse", to send a message to the establishment.
Not just "worse", "catastrophic".

All this talk of "corrupt liberal elites" is silly. The US political system is institutionally corrupt, and since Citizens United, that is the settled law of the land. But if we're comparing degrees of venality and self-interest, the democrats are far, far behind the republicans. Not even in the same ballpark.
My 2cents anyway, as an outside observer.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's the problem with democracy.

ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 am
This is obviously ford_truckin's feeding hole.
Actually I could care less about fox news and every other mainstream news outlet.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 am

This thread has veered off-topic and fallen into the normal back-and-forth trading of veiled insults so...

If anybody has anything relevant to add to the discussion, please contact me.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “News & Current Events”