Antifa at it again

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Nicholas Weeks

Antifa at it again

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Portland of my time there, 50 years ago, was a cool place in many senses of the word. Now, it harbors intolerant thugish folks.

https://quillette.com/2019/06/30/antifa ... sts-alike/
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

purple rose
Site Admin

Re: Antifa at it again

Post by purple rose » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Thugish folks apparently inhabit all political persuasions. Recently one of them received a life sentence for using his car as a lethal weapon. ...Driver Sentenced to Life in Prison....
An avowed white supremacist who drove his car into a crowd of anti-racism protesters during a white nationalist rally in Virginia has been sentenced to life in prison on hate crime charges. James Alex Fields Jr. of Maumee, Ohio, was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in March to federal hate crime charges. In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors dropped their request for the death penalty.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:54 pm

purple rose wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 pm
Thugish folks apparently inhabit all political persuasions. Recently one of them received a life sentence for using his car as a lethal weapon. ...Driver Sentenced to Life in Prison....
Portland is a city, not a political party - non sequitur post.
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:54 pm
purple rose wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 pm
Portland is a city, not a political party - non sequitur post.
In your opening post you equated Portland with Antifa.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Grigoris:
In your opening post you equated Portland with Antifa.
"Harbors intolerant thugish folks" does not mean all Portlanders are Antifa, only that the civil authorities pay little attention to Antifa's lawlessness.
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:53 am

There were about 100 journalists reporting in Portland that day. None were attacked. Andy Ngo is a far right activist looking for trouble by invading a far left protest. He found some notoriety as he wished and has already gained roughly 100k in donations. Not bad for a few hours work.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 am

Antifa are pretty bad. They are a hostile, violent group; no better than any other hostile political group. They routinely bring weapons to protests, smoke bombs, pepper spray, etc.

Not too long ago, they "accidentally" pepper-sprayed a woman wearing a mock "maga hat", it said "make wall street great again" or some such. They thought she was wearing a real Maga hat, and pepper sprayed here on Live TV. There are countless videos of them assaulting people.

They aren't the only ones, on the far right you have angry, hostile, violent ARMED Militia groups.

Thing's aren't in the best place in the USA right now.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am

Nemo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:53 am
Andy Ngo is a far right activist...
Do you have any evidence for this?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:44 am

Jesse wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 am
Antifa are pretty bad. They are a hostile, violent group; no better than any other hostile political group. They routinely bring weapons to protests, smoke bombs, pepper spray, etc.

Not too long ago, they "accidentally" pepper-sprayed a woman wearing a mock "maga hat", it said "make wall street great again" or some such. They thought she was wearing a real Maga hat, and pepper sprayed here on Live TV. There are countless videos of them assaulting people.

They aren't the only ones, on the far right you have angry, hostile, violent ARMED Militia groups.

Thing's aren't in the best place in the USA right now.
In Greece this idea that Antifa and Far-Right militia are somehow the same, is referred to as "the theory of the two extremes".

Usually it is used by staunch conservatives to white-wash the activities of their neo-Nazi buddies.

But in reality, they are not the same. Not by a long shot.

A bunch of rowdy juvenile delinquents with pocket knives is not the same thing as organised and heavily armed militia.

One must ask oneself: How many people have been killed by Antifa? How many people have been killed by Far-Right lunatics?

What motivates one group and what motivates the other?

Etc...

After some simple analysis one will find that the two groups are not comparable. Not at all.

It is a case of the "a dog has four legs" logic fallacy. An association fallacy.

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am

:good:

In Czechia, after the Velvet Revolution, the neo-nazis were sticking their heads out (and I mean real neo-nazis) and attacked minorities, doing parades, etc. It was the Antifa who took a stance and beat their asses out of streets into obscurity where they belong. And now they do it again. Faschists and neo-nazis are again peaking out. They are actually creating "order units", groups of their members and walk around "reporting crime". Makes me wonder what is a crime according ot them... two gays? "immigrants"? somebody who is slightly brown? who knows. But Antifa is again showing them where they belong. And it is needed.

I mean, one of the best guys I have ever worked with was a neo-nazi (actually told me there is nothing he hates more than gypsies and *insert ugly word for gays*, which made working with him kinda hard since I am gay) and he was a really nice guy on a personal level. However, it is still a monstrous ideology based on hate and it has to be stood up to. Without opossition horrible things may happen such as when neo-nazis attacked at night a romani family and burned their house down few years back. Their little baby around 5 years old was badly burned, barely survived and has nightmares and disfigured face ever since. This is where unchecked neo-nazi movements lead.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am

Where there are fascists, there will be anti-fascists...seems pretty ordinary.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm

KeithA wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am
Where there are fascists, there will be anti-fascists...seems pretty ordinary.
As someone who would not like to see fascists in charge, I would hope this is the case.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Comparing antiNazis or antifascists to Nazis is something a Nazi sympathiser would do. So the Nazis and the Americans fighting WWII were the same. Good to know.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am
Nemo wrote:
His Twitter bio says, "Hated by antifa." He is a staple in Portland filming Antifa members for later identification purposes. The fascists follow people, particularly LGBT and women, for intimidation purposes. He was planning a confrontation and was told by Antifa not to come.

Here is the publication he edits.
https://quillette.com/

You notice he had people quietly filming the entire confrontation right? That is standard for the fascists now. It was a money grab and media op. He knew he would just be roughed up a bit. So far the op has made over 137k just on the GoFundME. He was also probably given envelope cash in advance. That is how the game is played. The game is push as far as you can and see what happens. When it went too far with the tiki torches and vehicular homicide they had to hide under a rock for awhile. Now they are trying to come back again.

removed link to gofund page

The protofascists are pretty creepy in Canada. I had to get into a scrap with them after the provincial government cancelled all sex ed in schools making it particularly dangerous for LGBT students. At the demonstrations to bring it back they were physically intimidating and verbally abusive to the lesbian and trans kids. They also filmed the entire proceedings and targeted those who looked physically weak to follow after the protest. They are scum in my opinion.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Nemo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am
Nemo wrote:
His Twitter bio says, "Hated by antifa." He is a staple in Portland filming Antifa members for later identification purposes. The fascists follow people, particularly LGBT and women, for intimidation purposes. He was planning a confrontation and was told by Antifa not to come.

You notice he had people quietly filming the entire confrontation right? That is standard for the fascists now. It was a money grab and media op. He knew he would just be roughed up a bit. So far the op has made over 137k just on the GoFundME. He was also probably given envelope cash in advance. That is how the game is played. The game is push as far as you can and see what happens. When it went too far with the tiki torches and vehicular homicide they had to hide under a rock for awhile. Now they are trying to come back again.
link removed

The protofascists are pretty creepy in Canada. I had to get into a scrap with them after the provincial government cancelled all sex ed in schools making it particularly dangerous for LGBT students. At the demonstrations to bring it back they were physically intimidating and verbally abusive to the lesbian and trans kids. They also filmed the entire proceedings and targeted those who looked physically weak to follow after the protest. They are scum in my opinion.
Unfortunately, this is becoming very common...

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Nemo wrote:
So he is an editor at the publication that advertised his gofund page and then went on denounce Antifa while pretending that they do not actually know who he is?

HePo

Post by HePo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:19 pm
Nemo wrote:
So he is an editor at the publication that advertised his gofund page and then went on denounce Antifa while pretending that they do not actually know who he is?
About quilette.com
Claire Lehmann’s online magazine, Quillette, prides itself on publishing ‘dangerous’ ideas other outlets won’t touch. How far is it willing to go?
- if you are interested - here is a bit of a read on the Politico site
The Voice of the ‘Intellectual Dark Web’

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 pm

HePo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Nemo wrote:
About quilette.com
Claire Lehmann’s online magazine, Quillette, prides itself on publishing ‘dangerous’ ideas other outlets won’t touch. How far is it willing to go?
- if you are interested - here is a bit of a read on the Politico site
The Voice of the ‘Intellectual Dark Web’
Politico and Quilette seem to be ideologically connected, so the article is more an advert than an analysis.

HePo

Post by HePo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 pm
Politico and Quilette seem to be ideologically connected, so the article is more an advert than an analysis.
That is funny, if you do not have the time to read - fine with me.
from Wikipedia:

Writing for The Guardian, Jason Wilson describes Quillette as "a website obsessed with the alleged war on free speech on campus".[23]
Writing for The Washington Post, Aaron Hanlon describes Quillette as a "magazine obsessed with the evils of 'critical theory' and postmodernism".[24]
Writing for New York's column The Daily Intelligencer Andrew Sullivan describes Quillette as "refreshingly heterodox".[25]
In a piece for Slate, Daniel Engber suggested that while some of its output was "excellent and interesting", the average Quillette story "is dogmatic, repetitious, and a bore". He wrote that it describes "even modest harms inflicted via groupthink—e.g., dropped theater projects, flagging book sales, condemnatory tweets—as 'serious adversity'", arguing that various authors in Quillette engage in the same victim mentality that they attempt to criticize.[16]
In a Daily Beast article, Alex Leo described Quillette as "a site that fancies itself intellectually contrarian but mostly publishes right-wing talking points couched in grievance politics".[26]

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Nemo wrote:
He Tweeted this the day before;
“I am nervous about tomorrow’s Portland Antifa rally. They’re promising ‘physical confrontation’ & have singled me out to be assaulted. I went on Tucker Carlson last year to explain why I think they’re doing this: They’re seeking meaning through violence.”

Return to “News & Current Events”