The former monk who runs a $100m meditation firm

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49394848

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: The former monk who runs a $100m meditation firm

Post by Queequeg » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Yeah, saw that.

Something unseemly.

I know people who use the app... they ask me about it and I tell them, just properly learn dharma and how to "meditate" and you won't need an app.

It shows people are interested and want to learn, but have various issues with actually learning.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Apps are often a reason to -not- learn something, exercise, meditation, diet, etc.

Not saying no one ever uses them positively, but they tend to be a lot like dieting, more an illusion of doing something than actually doing something.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 pm
Apps are often a reason to -not- learn something, exercise, meditation, diet, etc.

Not saying no one ever uses them positively, but they tend to be a lot like dieting, more an illusion of doing something than actually doing something.
I have been thinking about the dynamic of impermanence, samsara and the teachings. Impermanence in regards to samsara does not imply denial of evolution or societal expansion or technological advancement.

Some of these seemingly wrong methods of propagation may be progressive methods of extending aspects of dharma which may lead to greater adaption later on. The concern that these methods are converting traditional practitioners away from traditional practices would be disconcerting.

Monetizing a method of dharma into an app for great amounts of money is a different dialog altogether. It would have been nice to see a Buddhist organization receive those revenues for the purpose of supporting efforts of existing traditions.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm

It’s really more about design than a larger philosophical question. Smartphones are by large designed to trigger your reward mechanism upon use. Compulsive behavior is literally built into the system. It’s hard to become aware of the root of ones craving using a tool designed to enhance it. Not saying it can’t be done. That’s not some Luddite thing, I’m writing this on my phone, but the tool is what it is.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm
It’s really more about design than a larger philosophical question. Smartphones are by large designed to trigger your reward mechanism upon use. Compulsive behavior is literally built into the system. It’s hard to become aware of the root of ones craving using a tool designed to enhance it. That’s not some Luddite thing, I’m writing this on my phone, but the tool is what it is.
Right on but that use is already prevalent and you can't just expect people to divorce this dopamine addicting device that is being integrated as an integral part of societal functions.

Can this perhaps acts as a conscious break from this behavioral interaction so that the real effects become more apparent over time allowing for a cognizance that leads to lasting beneficial change in this behavior?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I don't know, all I know is a minority of people I've known make legitimate use of apps like this, they are usually just toys. It's possible to use them otherwise, but the design issue makes it tough. Tristan Harris and others have written on this, distraction is built into the technology. A skilled meditator might be able to make use of it, but experienced meditators probably aren't the ones most interested in the app.

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I am limiting my perception of use as a sophisticated timer and am neglecting to consider it is more interactive on some levels. I can't speak to that other then does the app's end game include unguided meditation with limited interaction or sustained reliance on interaction.

Time will tell. Interesting to consider the effects of the interactive meditation. They do have brain scans of meditation experts so I assume if the app has credence it would effect in the same results. :shrug:

At my age I notice the influence because I lived so many years without this technology but it does make me wonder what the experience is like for those have been exposed to it since birth?

Return to “News & Current Events”