meet the old masters now, before they're gone

weitsicht

meet the old masters now, before they're gone

Post by weitsicht » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:50 pm

- yeah sure, they aren't really gone
and yet they aren't there any more in their physical form.

I repeatedly heard the recommendation now from my teacher to meet these old masters who have the capacity and wisdom to embrace dharma in the serenity and expressional aesthetics of art and dance. Some may call this TIBETAN folklore but to what I understand, Tibetan language has a huge potential for spectral on-the-spot wisdom TOGETHER with a lyrical feature to a degree that it isn't quite proven that western semiotics and hence thinkers can realize.

I am hence wondering who these old masters are I should invest to make connection to as long as they're still alive.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

justsit

Re: meet the old masters now, before they're gone

Post by justsit » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06 pm

It probably is not possible to actually meet Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche http://www.ktgrinpoche.org/, as he is living in Nepal, very elderly and no longer teaches. If there is another way to make contact, I highly recommend you try; check the website; any kind of karmic connection will be beneficial. Rinpoche is an authentic yogi of the type rarely seen now, and has composed many dohas, some of which have been set to music and may be sung.

Go to the YouTube link; English begins at 1:30

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:31 am

In the Karma Kagyu I’ll nominate Thrangu R and Chime R. Neither are readily accessible.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
2. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

tobes

Post by tobes » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:46 am

smcj wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:31 am
In the Karma Kagyu I’ll nominate Thrangu R and Chime R. Neither are readily accessible.
One of the highlights of my life was attending Thrangu Rinpoche and his monks when he came to Australia about a decade a ago. My feet didn't touch the ground the entire time.

Someone had said exactly that statement to me: meet the old masters now, before it's too late...

Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 am

Dodrubchen Rinpoche
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 am

Sonam Wangchug wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 am
Dodrubchen Rinpoche
Is he still accessible?

PSM

Post by PSM » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am

Lopon Tenzin Namdak, not that I've had the merit to meet him - I pray that I will do one day.

rang.drol

Post by rang.drol » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:40 pm

PSM wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am
Lopon Tenzin Namdak ...
+1!

Josef

Post by Josef » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:08 pm

PeterC wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 am
Sonam Wangchug wrote:
Dodrubchen Rinpoche
Is he still accessible?
Yeah, he isnt really travelling much anymore however.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:09 am

No worries..... it's never too late to meet the masters. Dead or alive. Just don't try. do agree, there are fewer and fewer living.

I was a newbie to Buddhism in about 1994 when I saw Dilgo Khyntse Rinpoche's picture on Surya Das altar. I did not know who he was. I felt the connection. He winked at me..... it was years before I figured out who he was. The connection is still alive. Lama Yeshe speaks from a book long long time ago.

In more conscious times, last 20 yrs, I moved heaven and earth to see Namkai Norbu in 1999 at Hidden Lake/Tahoe and Tenzen Namdak Rinpoche at Ligmincha.... it was "out of my way, I'm going". I knew I had to go, yet I had nothing. The resource to go appeared. No worries. If you have the opportunity, listen to your calling. Subsequently, I was drawn to see Sasaki Roshi when he was about 104. My experience with zen koan opens the consciousness to intimacy with the koan masters. It's never too late.
linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 am

:good:

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche was the one who first inspired me to want to take Refuge (however my first formal Refuge in this lifetime was with Khenpo Tenpa Yungdrung Rinpoche).

And I’d like to say that Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche & Yongdzin Rinpoche are the Buddha Śākyamuni & Tonpa Shenrab Miwoche, respectively.

If only I could have served them better during the time(s) that I’d moved heaven & earth to meet them in person....
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:10 am

Sādhaka wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 am
:good:

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche was the one who first inspired me to want to take Refuge (however my first formal Refuge in this lifetime was with Khenpo Tenpa Yungdrung Rinpoche).

And I’d like to say that Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche & Yongdzin Rinpoche are the Buddha Śākyamuni & Tonpa Shenrab Miwoche, respectively.

If only I could have served them better during the time(s) that I’d moved heaven & earth to meet them in person....
The best service and offering to a master is our practice. So don't worry I bet you do a decent job. :thumbsup:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 am

Thank you.

I want to dedicate my entire life to study & retreat, as with most of us.

And you all know how that goes. Gotta work with them circumstances....
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 am

Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche is, in my view, one of the great realized old ones. A true hidden yogi. I was incredibly fortunate to live with him in my 20s and he was so supportive and patient with me. Now I rarely cross paths with him. Last time I did, he just laughed and said, "the naughty monk!" (probably cause I returned my vows to get married long ago and it's been obstacles ever since). That was literally all he said. But i'll take what I can get!

He is now living quietly in NM, travels from time to time, and is not really hard to meet if you make the effort.

SkyDragon3

Post by SkyDragon3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 am

In the spirit of this thread, I share this.

How I met with Namkhai Norbu, as a teacher.

In about 1995, my son age 16+ announced that perhaps he should become a buddhist monk. This was surprising, as he was not buddhist, although I had been following Tibetan buddhism for many years. I then was looking for upcoming retreats in the Tibetan buddhist communities for something I could recommend to my son. It seemed to me this was a good place to start. He had been very troubled in his teens, and was often violent toward me. So I was keen to encourage this new direction.

I then discovered Namkhai Norbu was visiting my country and was in recovery from leukemia. I made the decision then and there that I should attend a retreat with him. I was aware that Dzogchen was the end of the path in Nyingma, and this was what he taught. What if he was to die soon, and I had missed this opportunity? I would never forgive myself.

I asked my son if he could hold the fort, so to speak, by looking after my house and my many pets while I travelled about 5-600 miles to attend the retreat. I lived on a government pension, so this was a big decision. He was happy for me to go. A miracle!

The retreat was (I think) 10 days, with many sangha members from around the world. It was like a visit to a pure land. A delight from beginning to end.

On my return home, my son had transformed. Instead of an angry rebellious teenager, he became a support to my spiritual practice, wherever strange places that has carried me.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:37 am

Josef wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:08 pm
PeterC wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 am
Sonam Wangchug wrote:
Dodrubchen Rinpoche
Is he still accessible?
Yeah, he isnt really travelling much anymore however.
Friend of mine recently had an audience with him in Sikkim. Said it was well worth the journey

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm

smcj wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:31 am
One of the benefits of being ancient is to have been able to spend time with some of the great ones while they were still accessible. I spent a lot of time with Chime R. And spent a magical hour with Thrangu Rinpoche, just the two of us..even his retinue were busy elsewhere, sitting on a bench by a lake..

Do grab all such opportunities folks. They are worth all the debates and book larnin ’ in the world.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

Return to “Dzogchen”