Dzogchen Community Naga Rite

Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Dzogchen Community Naga Rite

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 am Does the DC practice have a torma?
It is described as something which may be used, but no detail given.
('paste mixed with medicine modelled into a specific form')

It includes sang & serkyem, cakes and milk.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Here's a picture of the Dujom Naga torma.

Sorry, don't seem to be able to make this work and don't know how to delete.

Anyway, it's basically a zhay-se (food offering torma) with four-colored jewels, a Naga over the top, and kar-gyen with jewels.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm Here's a picture of the Dujom Naga torma.

Sorry, don't seem to be able to make this work and don't know how to delete.

Anyway, it's basically a zhay-se (food offering torma) with four-colored jewels, a Naga over the top, and kar-gyen with jewels.
There's no link to the image, so I'm not surprised. lol :)
You can't upload a pic, only link to a pic on the web.
You need to paste the image address in between the 'img' and '/img' boxes.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Today solstice, tomorrow Naga Puja 'positive' day.:)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 pm Today solstice, tomorrow Naga Puja 'positive' day.:)
Full moon day is the best day this month, but tomorrow is a good day too.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 pm Today solstice, tomorrow Naga Puja 'positive' day.:)
Full Moon day is not listed as positive for Naga Puja in the DC Calendar. Other practices, yes, but next positive day for Naga Puja in the DC is 2nd July. The Drukpa Calendar agrees. ;)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Full Moon day is not listed as positive for Naga Puja in the DC Calendar. Other practices, yes, but next positive day for Naga Puja in the DC is 2nd July. The Drukpa Calendar agrees. ;)
I go with Lama Chodak's calendar. Generally speaking all the major days (full, new, first quarter, Dakini and Guru Rinpoche) are good days for Naga offerings, or neutral at the worst.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm Full moon day is the best day this month, but tomorrow is a good day too.
I go with Lama Chodak's calendar. Generally speaking all the major days (full, new, first quarter, Dakini and Guru Rinpoche) are good days for Naga offerings, or neutral at the worst.
Sure, just didn't want to mislead any DC folk, this thread being about the DC Naga Puja. :)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Sure, just didn't want to mislead any DC folk, this thread being about the DC Naga Puja. :)
True. Sorry.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Does anyone know about the origin of ChNN's Naga Rite please?

It seems to follow the Thun format but I wondered if it came from Changchub Dorje or Adzom Drugpa originally.

Anyone know?

Thanks. :)

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Has anyone found out what can be used as a talisman in the naga rite?

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm Has anyone found out what can be used as a talisman in the naga rite?

DS
I asked but nobody was able to tell me.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 am Does the DC practice have a torma?
No. It is a kind of sang with offerings of milk, etc
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

If burning incense with animal products such as musk annoys the Nagas, how should we regard butter-lamps?
Butter being an animal product, I wondered.
Burning chemical laden tea lights is probably not too wonderful either.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Butter does not require the cow to be killed. Actually we use a number of animal products in Naga sang and puja, such as conch shell, crocodile claws, snake skin, none of which necessarily require the animal to be killed.

Miusk is a very potent specific poison to Nagas. When doing a wrathful practice to subdue Nagas, one sometimes anoints one's body (not saying where) with musk oil.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm Butter does not require the cow to be killed. Actually we use a number of animal products in Naga sang and puja, such as conch shell, crocodile claws, snake skin, none of which necessarily require the animal to be killed.

Miusk is a very potent specific poison to Nagas. When doing a wrathful practice to subdue Nagas, one sometimes anoints one's body (not saying where) with musk oil.

Yes, conch can be for fluids like milk and also for sound, and of course as a mala.
Naga Kanya holds one, of course. I have a transmission for Naga Kanya as well, a very simple affair.

Commercially produced butter, like milk, does of course involve slaughter of calves, but not essentially so in old India I'm sure. I tend to use olive oil in my butter lamps, but wondered about the old tradition and the Nagas.

If people use tea lights there are plant wax ones available which I fancy may be less 'polluting' in Naga pujas than petroleum wax ones.

Interesting wrathful use of musk oil!

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:26 pm
pemachophel wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm Butter does not require the cow to be killed. Actually we use a number of animal products in Naga sang and puja, such as conch shell, crocodile claws, snake skin, none of which necessarily require the animal to be killed.

Yes, conch can be for fluids like milk and also for sound, and of course as a mala.
Naga Kanya holds one, of course. I have a transmission for Naga Kanya as well, a very simple affair.

Commercially produced butter, like milk, does of course involve slaughter of calves, but not essentially so in old India I'm sure. I tend to use olive oil in my butter lamps, but wondered about the old tradition and the Nagas.

If people use tea lights there are plant wax ones available which I fancy may be less 'polluting' in Naga pujas than petroleum wax ones.

I'm pretty sure that's not how butter is made...if I recall correctly, it's more a "churning" the milk through several processes instead of killing the animal just for a slab.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Tenma wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not how butter is made...if I recall correctly, it's more a "churning" the milk through several processes instead of killing the animal just for a slab.
In commercial dairy farming humans get the milk intended for the calves. So many of the calves are therefore surplus to requirements and are killed. Personally, I wouldn't use commercially produced butter at all because of that. Let's not get too far off the topic though. In an Indian village the chances are they would not take so much of the milk, and using the butter would not be at the expense of a calf's life.

pawel

Post by pawel »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm Has anyone found out what can be used as a talisman in the naga rite?

DS
I asked but nobody was able to tell me.
It can be anything that is blessed (empowered) with the practice. In the booklet it mentions Rinpoche left a kind of wooden board in Merigar West.
Mantrik wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am Does anyone know about the origin of ChNN's Naga Rite please?

It seems to follow the Thun format but I wondered if it came from Changchub Dorje or Adzom Drugpa originally.

Anyone know?

The core of the practice may come very probably from Adzom Drukpa, just like the Sang. Rinpoche picked it because it's very concise and simple. The format of either short or medium tun is added to give it a form and connect with transmission.
pawel

Post by pawel »

Nobody has replied to my question regarding the Naga positive and negative days differences between Dzogchen Community (or Phugpa) calendar and Lama Dawa (or Kalachakra) calendar. How can it be that 8th day of the 2nd month, for example, is considered bad in one system and good in another?
Here is the link to my original topic with the question viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28217&p=441383&hil ... ys#p441383

Thank you.

Return to “Dzogchen”