sang and serkyem practice

Lukeinaz

Re: sang and serkyem practice

Post by Lukeinaz »

heart wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:50 pm
Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm A couple questions about ChNN's sang and serkyem.

Can the serkyem materials be offered as well if you are just doing a sang offering?
I never seen that done, I am not sure why you would do that.
For serkyem, does the practitioner consume any part of the offering when finished, or does it all go outside?

Thanks!
No, it is all going outside.

/magnus
Yeah, I only ask because in the sang and serkyem booklet it says "for Sangchod you should prepare serkyem". I am still confused about what that means.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:18 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm
jay wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 am Thanks magnus- Yes, it is ChNN's pratice. I'm really looking forward to it. I dont have any sang at the momment, but have some green tara incense from bhutan. Would it be ok to use that? In the book, it says to empower the sang water...how do i do that?

I'm hoping a nice glass of merlot appeases my guests :smile:

J
You can grind up ceder needles, or use sage (smudge stick), or use artemesia, etc. Typically, with ser khyem, you would use tea in the morning, booze at night. You also have to have a drink as well, of either tea or booze.
so you would have a drink from cup on altar and then put it outside?
No, you have a serkyen cup for the alter, and you have your own cup, When you are done, you drink your tea; and after take the shrine tea out.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:22 pm
Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm A couple questions about ChNN's sang and serkyem.

Can the serkyem materials be offered as well if you are just doing a sang offering?
For serkyem, does the practitioner consume any part of the offering when finished, or does it all go outside?

Thanks!

/magnus
Yeah, I only ask because in the sang and serkyem booklet it says "for Sangchod you should prepare serkyem". I am still confused about what that means.
Means you need to make a serkyem for the offerings also. Sang and serkhyem are commonly done in the morning, after which one has a tea break with tea prepared for the rite.

When doing serkhyem in the evening, one also needs to have cups set out for the participants so they all have a little wine at the end. If doing intense Ngaggong or something, you need to take breaks, and during breaks, one has a drink -- this is the mthong brgyud, the seeing lineage.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:22 pm

You can grind up ceder needles, or use sage (smudge stick), or use artemesia, etc. Typically, with ser khyem, you would use tea in the morning, booze at night. You also have to have a drink as well, of either tea or booze.
No, you have a serkyen cup for the alter, and you have your own cup, When you are done, you drink your tea; and after take the shrine tea out.
Cheers!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Cheers!
Exactly.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Thanks!
Yes. You can offer drinks and other substances in sang offering.

Answer is in the idc booklet
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

/magnus
Means you need to make a serkyem for the offerings also. Sang and serkhyem are commonly done in the morning, after which one has a tea break with tea prepared for the rite.

When doing serkhyem in the evening, one also needs to have cups set out for the participants so they all have a little wine at the end. If doing intense Ngaggong or something, you need to take breaks, and during breaks, one has a drink -- this is the mthong brgyud, the seeing lineage.
Is that corresponding to making an inner offering to inner dharmapalas?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

No, it is literally having a drink with the The Jewels and the protectors.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 pm
Adamantine wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 am

No, it is literally having a drink with the The Jewels and the protectors.
Malcolm, I have some questions so I can begin this practice:

(1) Does one literally just separately make oneself a cup of tea, put it on one's puja table, and then consume it at the end? Or does one poor oneself some tea from a larger container offered on the altar?

(2) I live in a crowded two-story apartment building. There is a grassy area behind my building where people and domesticated animals can't access, so I could toss the serkyem offering over a short chain-link fence there, but not in the 4 directions. There's also the possibility I may be seen doing this when it's still light out, though a good chance I may not. If I do the practice in the morning when I have the opportunity, is it permissible to leave the serkyem on the altar all day and then offer it outside at night when it's dark and I'm less likely to be seen?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:53 pm

(1) Does one literally just separately make oneself a cup of tea, put it on one's puja table, and then consume it at the end?
Yes.
(2) I live in a crowded two-story apartment building. There is a grassy area behind my building where people and domesticated animals can't access, so I could toss the serkyem offering over a short chain-link fence there, but not in the 4 directions. There's also the possibility I may be seen doing this when it's still light out, though a good chance I may not. If I do the practice in the morning when I have the opportunity, is it permissible to leave the serkyem on the altar all day and then offer it outside at night when it's dark and I'm less likely to be seen?
Serkhyem does not need to be tossed in four directions, unless doing in a very formal way. It just needs to be poured out in a clean place, and yes, you can leave it to pour out later.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Thanks!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Is the drinking with the protectors a DC specific thing? Do other sanghas actually do this?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mandog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:11 am

Is the drinking with the protectors a DC specific thing? Do other sanghas actually do this?
No. Yes.
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

Sorry I couldn't find it anywhere, what does ChNN stand for? Is this a certain lineage, teacher or organization?

Thank you and sorry
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

jake5521 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:13 pm Sorry I couldn't find it anywhere, what does ChNN stand for? Is this a certain lineage, teacher or organization?

Thank you and sorry
ChNN = Chögyal Namkhai Norbu.

https://www.dzamlinggar.net/en/dzogchen ... khai-norbu
http://melong.com/life-works-chogyal-namkhai-norbu/

Return to “Dzogchen”