is there a teacher in the house? or at least some advice

theanarchist

Re: is there a teacher in the house? or at least some advice

Post by theanarchist » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 pm

rubix wrote: I know a teacher is essecial for learning but sometimes going it alone has its own rewards

There are no "rewards" to have in dzogchen without a teacher because without a techer there is no dzogchen.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 pm

rubix wrote:I know a book is purely intellectual and offers no direct experiences but I have been having many experiences since I was a young child and I use the books as references to my experiences.
That's not going to work. The only thing that is going to happen trying that is that you are fooling yourself.

It's like trying to transplant a heart with a textbook and a youtube video to guide you.

pensum

Post by pensum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 pm

rubix wrote: My location doesn't have any tebetan temples the closest is in Toronto I think but that doeas little good for me. So I rely on studyin
Where are you living Rubix? There are centres all across Canada including Vancouver, Salt Spring Island, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Waterloo, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, etc. Here's a list: http://www.buddhist.ca/buddhism_religio ... links.html There are other lists online too, just google "buddhist centres canada".

Good luck!

greentara

Post by greentara » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 am

Yes a teacher can be beneficial. I'm not entirely sold on the lineage message as I would like a teacher that is talking from his own direct experience and not weighed down with too much commentary. Why would there be a secret teaching? All schools appear to have a founding father but a guru should be impartial to all comers whatever their background and understanding and should have the ability and capacity to seamlessly respond to all levels of questions....not one cap fits all.

rubix

Post by rubix » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:10 am

Don't need a teacher the visions are done. Lol I didn't try to bring them on they just came and now there gone was an interesting experience

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:15 am

greentara wrote: Why would there be a secret teaching? .

Because there are teachings that need a certain amount of spiritual maturity and experience of the disciple. If you give them to non suited people it could do more harm than good. Also, disciples not suited to those teachings might simply not understand/misunderstand them.

Those teachings are also called "self secret" because if you are not ready for it, you simply won't be able to properly understand them.

That's like me and Einstein's relativity theory. I don't have the education in physics to properly study advanced physics, therefor for me it's a "secret" teaching of physics. Even if you would try to teach it to me I couldn't understand it, I would need to do a lot of preparatory studies in order to make use of Einstein's works.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:19 am

rubix wrote:Don't need a teacher the visions are done.

I see. You are one of those of highest capacity, who are taught by the samboghakaya buddhas in visions without even ever having met or needing a human teacher. :mrgreen:

LOL...

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:09 am

In that case, there's no need to ask any questions.
You know.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:14 am

rubix wrote:Don't need a teacher the visions are done
The only reason anyone would not need a teacher is if they had nothing more to learn. In the context of Buddhadharma that would mean you'd already be completely awakened, a Buddha yourself. If this is true, please let us know how to find you to receive teachings. However, you may need to display some miracles first to convince us. . . I think it would be a first for someone to be on an internet forum asking confused questions one day, and a few days later be a fully awakened omniscient Buddha. :popcorn:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

krodha

Post by krodha » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:51 am

rubix wrote:Don't need a teacher the visions are done.

Sönam

Post by Sönam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am

rubix wrote:Don't need a teacher the visions are done. Lol I didn't try to bring them on they just came and now there gone was an interesting experience
The "visions" are never done ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, Sonam, that depends on what "visions" we're talking about, eh? :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Sönam

Post by Sönam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

conebeckham wrote:Well, Sonam, that depends on what "visions" we're talking about, eh? :smile:
Well, in the context of Dzogchen, apart the karmic vision, the natural arising of the 4 visions (thögal) are never "done" ... :smile:

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 pm

This brings up the topic of people with serious mental illnesses who believe that their symptoms are signs for archievement in the Tibetan buddhist context.

I've been involved with Tibetan buddhism for quite a while now and I have seen a few such unfortunate cases over the years.

Ray Rudha

Post by Ray Rudha » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:24 pm

If you want to gain the merit and power required for receiving any teaching, one immensely great gate for this is the Golden Light Sutra.

Specifically, you should begin by gaining samadhi with the Golden Dharani. This is something extremely beneficial, and which nobody can deny you.

Golden Dharani
NAMO RATNA TRAYĀYA/ TADYATHĀ/ KUTI KUTINI/ IMIRITO/ KOSHANI/ IMIRINI/ IRĪ SVĀHĀ

As for specifically working towards your goals, I suggest getting samadhi with the dharani of Samjnaya, found in the 19th chapter of the sutra.

http://www.sutraofgoldenlight.com/2011/ ... rd-of.html

It will give you the powerful wisdom, activity and resources required for walking safely on the path.

P.S: If Dzochen is the Great Perfection and the pinnacle of tantra, it is merely the Heart Secret of Vajrapani, who is the Lord of Secrets.

Practice Vajrapani and all doors open.

Oh, Vajrapani makes an appearance in a sutra which contains a supremely powerful dharani. The Treasure Chest Seal, in the Sūtra of the Whole-Body Relic Treasure Chest Seal Dhāraṇī, which is like a secret essence key that grants all powers and the nature of this very body.

Practice the Treasure Chest Seal, or merely read it often, and you will surely get to practice Vajrapani and gain entry into tantra and Dzochen.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I personally think someone who has a tendency for delusion of the mental health type should be very cautious with any religious practice.

Because it can easily happen that the religious practice is integrated into the unhealthy trip instead of being an antidote to the delusions.

So, nope, in this case I would not necessarily recommend any mantras or other devotional practices.

Ray Rudha

Post by Ray Rudha » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Mantra is not devotional practice.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 pm

I said mantra OR devotional practice. I mean both are not really recommended for people suffering from mental problems that come with what can be classified as hallucination or delusions.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 pm

theanarchist wrote:I said mantra OR devotional practice. I mean both are not really recommended for people suffering from mental problems that come with what can be classified as hallucination or delusions.
Hmm, many mentally ill find support in spirituality. A mantra is harmless so should devotional practice be. E.g. be devotional to Manjushri etc. should be harmless too. :stirthepot:

Om ara pa cha nah diih.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Ray Rudha wrote:Mantra is not devotional practice.
When you say a mantra, you´re devotional to the deity I understand.