Dream Yoga experience

kng

Dream Yoga experience

Post by kng » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:24 am

Hi everybody

I have interesting experience with dream yoga practice and I would like to hear your opinion on it.

ca 3 years ago, when I was practicing in Diamond Way Sangha, I read Dream Yoga book of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. I tried out to visualize white A - only white A written as capital letter in roman alphabet - in the middle of my chest and fall asleep in that way. I tried maybe 5 times and 2 or 3 times of that I realised I was dreaming. Then I stopped doing dream yoga practice. ca 2 years ago I joined Dzogchen Community and I was trying to do dream yoga many times and everytime without success. Since joining DC I started to visualize seed syllables in Tibtan, including that one for guruyoga and dream yoga - white A. Few days ago - I do not know how I came to that idea - I switched Tibetan letter A for roman letter A while falling asleep. As result I had some experience(after 2 years! since joining community), I felt very big pressure on my body, I was half-awake - half-fallen asleep and I feared I was dying ... Next morning I realised I might have read that this might eventually be related to dissolution of elements which happens when falling asleep and dying. But back to topic - switching to roman letters and having that kind of dramatic change in experience. I am seriously thinking I will switch to roman white A letter during next direct introduction, maybe I will have some experience. What do you think?

kng
They all are buddhas, they just don't tell me, because they feel ashamed, that I am not.
Lama Ole Nydahl

Alberto Bravo

Re: Dream Yoga experience

Post by Alberto Bravo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:41 am

Hello, I just joined the fórum and I have been practicing dream yoga for several years, with some friends we started a group to interchange our experiences and help us, I am the only Budhist in the group, so it gives us a wider aproach to this practice, I mean wider since it is not limited to the use uf certain technics and expectations, we don´t use any letters or images, some of my friends use the method of looking for their hands while dreaming, personally I don´t like it however it works for them, my method is quite different, instead of waiting to be dreaming, i concéntrate in the shadows, different tones of grey, lights right in the vertical center of my visión and then after a while of the right concentration most of the times I start to dream, meaning that i sudently am aware that I am in the middle of a drean, then I think to my self, "Now I am dreaming..." This whole practice is very complicated and has to be tailor made for each individual, you have to prepare in advance, have the right enviroment etc.. dicipline, fait.. and work during the day as well, but the reward is really, worth it, there my Budhist allows me to get the most compared with other practitioners.

Regarding your question, lucid dreaming has been around for centuries at different cultures, it´s inherent to us as human beings, my point is that each culture uses it´s simbols, images etc.. for their practices, really anything can work, it´s just a croutch.

On the topic of what you felt, you have to be carefull, things may seem to happen, but don´t rush to conclude too fast what is going on.

Saoshun

Post by Saoshun » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:08 pm

That's why Longchenpa said when you practice dream yoga the "nightmare" will happen that why we shoul approach with feel of illusion of that state also because otherwise you will cling to it and empower it more.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 pm

generally speaking, most teachers I have asked or heard other people ask say that if you don't know the tibetan symbol you should use the roman symbol and it's not such a big deal since really we are using it as a seal and it is a symbol for the sound which is the important part - the representation of the sound of A or hum or whatever syllable it is. But if you can you should ask your teacher or find a transcript of a teaching where somebody did ask that question or ask a senior student.

secondly, with regards to dream yoga and nightmares or not even "nightmare" caliber but just bad dreams and/or half lucid strange dreams... personally i have found that they happen precisely because i am not lucid and they are actually manifestations of enlightened energy trying to wake me up. whenever something bad is happening in my dream i want to stop it and so i have to become aware... recognize i am "sleeping" (haha) or just stay asleep, stuck in the dream, dreaming.

then of course there are numerous ways you can help yourself do this like you can jump in real life whenever you have a chance and that will increase your habit of jumping so in a dream you might not be lucid and jump and low and behold gravity doesn't exist and you're flying - that will wake you up for sure!

and i just want to throw this in - it is probably not just a result of you changing your dream yoga visualization, it is probably the result of your state of mind, which is relative and impermanent, and is not the same as it was years ago. Maybe try shamatha and see what happens?

lots of comments and no structure :) sorry

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:42 am

kng wrote:I felt very big pressure on my body, I was half-awake - half-fallen asleep
That's a perfect description of sleep paralysis. Nothing at all to worry about even though it's usually unpleasant, but it's a peril of doing lucid dreaming/sleeping practices.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Sleep paralysis is unpleasant to begin with, but nothing to fear. It shouldn't be seen as a peril of dream practice. If anything, it's an opportunity to practice and learn about the subtle mechanics of the body and mind.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

shanehanner

Post by shanehanner » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Someone else mentioned it, but Ill second that what you experienced sounds exactly like sleep paralysis. Ive experienced this countless times since I was a child and while it can be extremely frightening, if you relax and realize that is what it is, you will slip back into a dream with complete lucidity. Its actually a great little backdoor!

cheridavis

Post by cheridavis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi Dream Yoga Group- I am jumping into this forum since I've been looking for one and was redirected here. I have some technical questions about lucidity. Actually have been trying to find a dream yoga class, but missed the Tengyal Wangyal Rinpoche one by days. Also missed Nomkai Norbu transmission by 1 day.

Here is a question that I would like to ask about "waking up" techniques. I have found that if I have to go pee, I become aware. I know sounds like a strange technique, but it works...for an hour and then I really have to wake up. Has anyone heard of being aware of bodily functions as a way to wake up. I am reading Wangyal's book called Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep and haven't come across it yet.

Also I use journaling...which everyone else has mentioned. I can go into a trance if I do this so I have to be in a safe place. Anyone else have that experience? Let me say though, I am being really reserved about this since I don't have a teacher and am trying to do everything correctly before I jump in with both feet.

Kelwin

Post by Kelwin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Just wanted to recommend http://www.charliemorley.com/ Charlie is a nice guy, who got some dream yoga instructions from the Kagyu tradition after he learned it himself. He got authorised to teach it, and now often gives workshops on it. I attended one of those, and it's been very useful in discussing different techniques, sharing experiences, etc.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena

oldbob

Post by oldbob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:09 am

Kelwin wrote:Just wanted to recommend http://www.charliemorley.com/ Charlie is a nice guy, who got some dream yoga instructions from the Kagyu tradition after he learned it himself. He got authorised to teach it, and now often gives workshops on it. I attended one of those, and it's been very useful in discussing different techniques, sharing experiences, etc.
Yup - Charlie is the real thing and you will learn dream yoga and have a great time, if you attend his workshops / retreats.

Also same for DR. Michael Katz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_K ... ologist%29

and an interesting site:

http://www.dreamyoga.com/

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 pm

maybe there was some tension in visualizing the tibetan white A. If it is tibetan or not seems to be of lesser importance, i also used latin A.

Return to “Dzogchen”