Cockroaches, ants and rats

Hansei

Cockroaches, ants and rats

Post by Hansei » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:02 pm

What to do when you find any of these in your house?

I don't want to kill any sentient being, but is not healthy to share your space with any of the aforementioned (specially cockroaches and rats).

A friend told me to do Sang and Serkyem, but I'm a new practicioner and still lost with lots of practices.

Edit: What about chanting the six syllables of Samantabhadra and blowing on a cockroach before killing it? :thinking:

Rakz

Re: Cockroaches, ants and rats

Post by Rakz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 pm

I would try to kill them with a mind of compassion that way the karmic consequences will be less severe. What needs to be done, needs to be done unfortunately.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Are you in a shared space? Are you in an apartment building or similar? If so, then it'll be more challenging, but the ideas below will help.

If you have a house or cottage to yourself, then it's much easier to address these issues, especially if you live in a temperate climate. If you're in a tropical area, this gets harder.

Here goes. Cockroaches and rodents come into your home from outside. They are either attracted by something inside, like the smell of food, or pushed in by the cold outside. So? Clean your house, meticulously, from floor to ceiling and back again. Clean it some more. Store all food in sealed containers that are clean and off the ground, or in a refrigerator. Give them nothing at all to eat. Don't eat in bed, or anywhere except in one particular place in your home, like a dining room. Once you're done eating, clean up immediately. Don't leave food laying around, at all, ever. Wash your dishes promptly and frequently.

Then, see about sealing up the gaps in your home that allow your houseguests in. Silicone caulking is great for this purpose. I once pumped out six tubes of the stuff sealing up sloppy construction work in our previous residence to keep drafts and slugs out. That's right: slugs were crawling in from under the doorframe (not the door itself, but the doorframe!) on rainy days. The cats were NOT impressed...

With that done, you have the work of clearing out the colony of rodents and insects that have already populated your space. If you have truly given them nothing to eat, they will eventually depart. I leave it to others to propose ways to accelerate their egress. I don't know about rats, but when I had an infestation of mice in the same place that had the slug problem, I bought a "tin cat" live trap that would capture three or four little fuzzy friends at once. I taped one of the "liberation by walking under a door with this mantra over it" mantras over the doorway to the trap and sang some nice things to them when I released them a few miles away, where they were probably a fox's breakfast but at least not eating the wiring of our home any longer.

I hope some of this is helpful to you.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 pm

also, are you certain they are rats and not just mice? If you have rats in your home that are not your pets, then you have your work cut out for you.

Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 pm

In regards to roaches I recently had this problem at a house I was staying at in Houston just before it flooded there. The cockroaches in Houston are gigantic and they come in droves. If you have ever seen the movie "joe's apartment" you will know what I mean.

Anyway, I did not want to kill them either so I did a little research and found that making really strong catnip tea drives them away. You have to make it very strong (like 1/4 cup catnip to half gallon of water) and simmer it for 20 minutes. Filter out the bits and put it in a spray bottle and distribute all around the perimeter of the house on the inside. Do the window sills and the cupboards etc.

We went from roaches crawling everywhere to not seeing a single one for a week.

The science is that there are two forms of the same chemical in catnip that roaches hate be around.

They also do not link bay leaves or diatomaceous earth (but that burns holes in there exoskeleton and since they do not have a circulatory system they bleed to death) so stay away from that stuff.

As for the rats........not sure other than to get the pied piper although Tibetans have a mantra specifically for rats eating crops.....

Good luck

Hansei

Post by Hansei » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks to all for your responses and ideas :smile:
Jikan wrote:If you have truly given them nothing to eat, they will eventually depart. I leave it to others to propose ways to accelerate their egress. I don't know about rats, but when I had an infestation of mice in the same place that had the slug problem, I bought a "tin cat" live trap that would capture three or four little fuzzy friends at once. I taped one of the "liberation by walking under a door with this mantra over it" mantras over the doorway to the trap and sang some nice things to them when I released them a few miles away, where they were probably a fox's breakfast but at least not eating the wiring of our home any longer.
I like how you dealt with the mice.

Generally we try to be as clean as possible, but we use to have the door of the terrace and some windows open. I guess many times they come in because the house is cooler. Usually roaches appear when the summer is close and disappear around November (still hot here).
Jikan wrote:also, are you certain they are rats and not just mice? If you have rats in your home that are not your pets, then you have your work cut out for you.
We've only had two little mice in the last few years, but last year we had a proper rat, although not too big. When we eventually captured it we discovered that she had been gathering many things in the corner of the storage room, inside a box. So maybe she came in looking for a safe place to give birth. Thank god she didn't.

I hope we are not going to have any more, but after having to deal with a roach the other day I started to worry about all this things now that the summer is coming.
Reibeam wrote:I did a little research and found that making really strong catnip tea drives them away. You have to make it very strong (like 1/4 cup catnip to half gallon of water) and simmer it for 20 minutes. Filter out the bits and put it in a spray bottle and distribute all around the perimeter of the house on the inside. Do the window sills and the cupboards etc.

We went from roaches crawling everywhere to not seeing a single one for a week.

The science is that there are two forms of the same chemical in catnip that roaches hate be around.
Had absolutelly no idea about that! Going to try with the catnip tea and see how it works.

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:55 am

With ants you have to clean up also, but there is an extra step you can take. They are blind, and they find their way to the food by a scent trail. So if you brush or blow them away first you can wipe away their scent trail with "Spray and Wash" laundry booster. They will come back and not find the trail, wander around and then leave. If you get any on the ants it will dissolve their exoskeleton. That's why you brush or blow them away first.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that, through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Hansei

Post by Hansei » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you smcj. Didn't know about the "Spray and Wash" trick. Something else to try.

Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:20 am

In general cleaning up and removing the source for why they are there is the best solution. In the meantime, kill as few or none if possible. Just cleaning up thoroughly and deeply will remove the causes of them coming into your house, since they wont come around if there is no food, scraps, and stuff to feed on. Seal up holes and cracks in the wall or floor to prevent them from coming back. Deep clean under and behind ovens, refrigerators and whatever you can move.

LunaRoja

Post by LunaRoja » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:51 am

We had a problem with ants last summer. I watched a whole army of them marching across the floor toward the dog dish. A friend of mine told me to pour vinegar across the doorways. We have a sliding glass door out to the patio and they were coming in this way. I poured the vinegar along the threshold and after that no more ants. Even though the vinegar evaporated fairly quickly it leaves a smell that the repels the ants. I'm not sure if this would also work with cockroaches but since vinegar is so inexpensive it might be worth a try. Good Luck!

Hansei

Post by Hansei » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for the ideas Gyurme Kundrol and LunaRoja. Going to try everything :smile:

kashmir

Post by kashmir » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:23 am

Are these animals sometimes governed or perhaps a representation of a Land Diety or local guardian? - Namkai Norbu Rinpoche once said he chanted OMAHUM where there were many ants in a house and they all left- however I have tried and do not have such capacity.

Return to “Dzogchen”