Dzogchen and the Blind

Garudavista

Dzogchen and the Blind

Post by Garudavista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 pm

This is a purely academic question that I'm only asking out of curiosity: Do you think it would be easier or more difficult for a blind person (especially a congenitally blind person) to practice Dzogchen to completion in this lifetime?

smcj

Re: Dzogchen and the Blind

Post by smcj » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Ever heard of "dark retreat"? It is where the practitioner lives in darkness 24/7. Seems like a blind person would have an advantage.

For those that don't are unfamiliar, "white retreat" is normal with the lights on, and "yellow retreat" is where the practitioner eats, showers, shaves, etc. in the light and only does his meditation sessions in the dark. (It's a lot easier to find your toothbrush that way.)
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Garudavista

Post by Garudavista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Yes. I'm familiar with dark retreat, but I have not completed one myself. However, maybe dzogchen would not be any easier or harder for a blind practitioner, because those with both acquired and congenital blindness still experience some imagery that can be used to create a habitual dualistic pattern, and even if there were not any visual stimuli present they would still have plenty of other stimuli (i.e., sound, physical sensation, smell, taste, thoughts) to create a habitual dualistic pattern, leaving them in the same position as dzogchen practitioners with sight.

Garudavista

Post by Garudavista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Also, it seems like it might be impossible for a congenitally blind person to practice thogal.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Garudavista wrote:Also, it seems like it might be impossible for a congenitally blind person to practice thogal.
I'm pretty sure Malcolm mentioned once that there are Tögal instructions for blind practitioners in the dgongs pa zang thal.
s.

Garudavista

Post by Garudavista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Really? That's fascinating. I had no idea. I hope Malcolm reads this and comments.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:56 pm

s.

Garudavista

Post by Garudavista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks. It looks like my question (and others like it) has already been explored in-depth in the "Dzogchen is Free from Limitation" thread you provided the link to. I'll have to read that thread now.

Return to “Dzogchen”