Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

shanehanner

Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by shanehanner » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 am

Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?

Yudron

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:53 am

http://www.vajrayana.org/drubdra/

As part of the program would be expected to do ngondro, three roots practices, and so on, all within the view of Dzogchen. They do not publicize their exact curriculum. Each three year retreat group going in does slightly different practices. Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche serves as the main teacher since Lama Tharchin Rinpoche's passing.

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 am

I msg u
“Guys, we’re coming up on The Devil’s Anus.” —Thor - Ragnarok

florin

Post by florin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:01 am

shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?

http://songtsen.org/F/chanteloube/activ ... d5ae0fb0ec

Yudron

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 pm

shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?
Also, you would want to check out Khentrul Lodro Thaye's center in Arkansas. They have a newer small three year retreat place. Also Garchen Rinpoche's Drikung Kagyu center in Arizona has a three year retreat facility, based on concurrent personal retreats, not much group practice. He is a dzogchen yogi, and the approach is not very different.

As far as admission to these three-year retreat groups goes, it is not like being admitted to a college class where, having taken the prerequisite courses, you are guaranteed admission. Yes, they want you to have completed the five ngondro accumulations, but factors like knowing the guiding lama, having good mental and physical health, humility, and the capacity to get along with other people are all factors. The excellent French facility mentioned above uses mo divinations as well.

People who have completed an entire ngondro before entering a cloistered group three-year retreat are generally more stable emotionally, have more self-discipline, and have better shamatha. You would be well-served by doing one—such as the Longchen Nyingthig, Choling or one of the Dudjom Tersar ngondros—if you aspire to retreat. I'm saying this based on the opinions of three dzogchen masters of the highest level, and my own experience as a simple unenlightened practitioner.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Yudron wrote:
Also, you would want to check out Khentrul Lodro Thaye's center in Arkansas. They have a newer small three year retreat place. Also Garchen Rinpoche's Drikung Kagyu center in Arizona has a three year retreat facility, based on concurrent personal retreats, not much group practice. He is a dzogchen yogi, and the approach is not very different.

As far as admission to these three-year retreat groups goes, it is not like being admitted to a college class where, having taken the prerequisite courses, you are guaranteed admission. Yes, they want you to have completed the five ngondro accumulations, but factors like knowing the guiding lama, having good mental and physical health, humility, and the capacity to get along with other people are all factors. The excellent French facility mentioned above uses mo divinations as well.

People who have completed an entire ngondro before entering a cloistered group three-year retreat are generally more stable emotionally, have more self-discipline, and have better shamatha. You would be well-served by doing one—such as the Longchen Nyingthig, Choling or one of the Dudjom Tersar ngondros—if you aspire to retreat. I'm saying this based on the opinions of three dzogchen masters of the highest level, and my own experience as a simple unenlightened practitioner.
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:58 pm

If you are going dzogchen it's like everything is ngondro for the next thing.
“Guys, we’re coming up on The Devil’s Anus.” —Thor - Ragnarok

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:21 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?
A bit off-topic, but for Kagyu retreats, the answer is yes.
Actually, more than one ngondro, often....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

smcj

Post by smcj » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

conebeckham wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

I've been meaning to ask, but is Dzogchen even taught in the Karma/Shangpa retreats? And if so, is it done so consistently, or just some retreats? I know Mahamudra is taught consistently.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

smcj wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

I've been meaning to ask, but is Dzogchen even taught in the Karma/Shangpa retreats? And if so, is it done so consistently, or just some retreats? I know Mahamudra is taught consistently.
Depends. That's the short answer.

For example, Thrangu Rinpoche teaches KonChok Chidu in his retreats. I don't know how much "Completion Stage" practice, Dzogchen style, is taught.
At Mirik Monastery, they do MinLing DorSem, and again, not sure how much Dzogchen Dzogrim is taught.

In Kongtrul's day, Dzogchen completion stages were most definitely taught in his retreats. It all really depends on the Dorje Loppon's preferences for the program, you see.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Yudron

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:57 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
Yudron wrote:

Hi Yudron,

Depends on the retreat center. Some would have you do only 10% of the numbers of a second ngondro druptra and then focus on Guru Yoga, some might have you do 100%. In mine I did 10%, because had done more than two already, then the lama decided once the retreat was under way to have us do another ngondro related to a complete cycle we "did." The main point is these Nyingma retreats is to get away from any notion of a fixed curriculum like a college, let go of one's agenda and concepts, and trust the Rinpoche in charge. Be it Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche, Tulku Pema Wangyal Rinpoche, Garchen Rinpoche or Khentrul Lodro Thaye these are stellar lamas who one can trust. They have all done long term retreat, and they have experience guiding retreatants. Loppon Jigme Rinpoche is also going to start a center in Northern California, and he is stellar as well. He did two three year retreats and has lead many for Chatral Rinpoche's disciples.

I remember a Sakya nun once came to our center and told me exactly how our lama had to lead his three year retreat, what the required curriculum was. Another Western Dzogchen teacher lectured a group at a local center about how druptra was all about shamatha and people were just snoozing away their lives wasting years in retreat, no rigpa there. Those kind of "experts" who have never done a retreat led by a dzogchen master have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

I'm going to stop commenting now. If anyone has questions please message me.

YonaUnbound

Post by YonaUnbound » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Is there a list of monasteries where Ngondros are offered that anyone knows of?

T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm

YonaUnbound wrote:Is there a list of monasteries where Ngondros are offered that anyone knows of?

I don't know of a list like that, but there is a good site for Dharma Centers here:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=0

If you are interested in a particular teacher or lineage, or location, perhaps you could post back here with a few more details so practitioners can make more detailed suggestions.

Return to “Dzogchen”