Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post Reply
User avatar
shanehanner
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:37 am

Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by shanehanner » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 am

Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?

Yudron
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:53 am

http://www.vajrayana.org/drubdra/

As part of the program would be expected to do ngondro, three roots practices, and so on, all within the view of Dzogchen. They do not publicize their exact curriculum. Each three year retreat group going in does slightly different practices. Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche serves as the main teacher since Lama Tharchin Rinpoche's passing.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 am

I msg u
“Guys, we’re coming up on The Devil’s Anus.” —Thor - Ragnarok

florin
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by florin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:01 am

shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?

http://songtsen.org/F/chanteloube/activ ... d5ae0fb0ec

Yudron
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 pm

shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?
Also, you would want to check out Khentrul Lodro Thaye's center in Arkansas. They have a newer small three year retreat place. Also Garchen Rinpoche's Drikung Kagyu center in Arizona has a three year retreat facility, based on concurrent personal retreats, not much group practice. He is a dzogchen yogi, and the approach is not very different.

As far as admission to these three-year retreat groups goes, it is not like being admitted to a college class where, having taken the prerequisite courses, you are guaranteed admission. Yes, they want you to have completed the five ngondro accumulations, but factors like knowing the guiding lama, having good mental and physical health, humility, and the capacity to get along with other people are all factors. The excellent French facility mentioned above uses mo divinations as well.

People who have completed an entire ngondro before entering a cloistered group three-year retreat are generally more stable emotionally, have more self-discipline, and have better shamatha. You would be well-served by doing one—such as the Longchen Nyingthig, Choling or one of the Dudjom Tersar ngondros—if you aspire to retreat. I'm saying this based on the opinions of three dzogchen masters of the highest level, and my own experience as a simple unenlightened practitioner.

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Yudron wrote:
shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?
Also, you would want to check out Khentrul Lodro Thaye's center in Arkansas. They have a newer small three year retreat place. Also Garchen Rinpoche's Drikung Kagyu center in Arizona has a three year retreat facility, based on concurrent personal retreats, not much group practice. He is a dzogchen yogi, and the approach is not very different.

As far as admission to these three-year retreat groups goes, it is not like being admitted to a college class where, having taken the prerequisite courses, you are guaranteed admission. Yes, they want you to have completed the five ngondro accumulations, but factors like knowing the guiding lama, having good mental and physical health, humility, and the capacity to get along with other people are all factors. The excellent French facility mentioned above uses mo divinations as well.

People who have completed an entire ngondro before entering a cloistered group three-year retreat are generally more stable emotionally, have more self-discipline, and have better shamatha. You would be well-served by doing one—such as the Longchen Nyingthig, Choling or one of the Dudjom Tersar ngondros—if you aspire to retreat. I'm saying this based on the opinions of three dzogchen masters of the highest level, and my own experience as a simple unenlightened practitioner.
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:58 pm

If you are going dzogchen it's like everything is ngondro for the next thing.
“Guys, we’re coming up on The Devil’s Anus.” —Thor - Ragnarok

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4798
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by conebeckham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:21 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?
A bit off-topic, but for Kagyu retreats, the answer is yes.
Actually, more than one ngondro, often....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

smcj
Posts: 5629
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by smcj » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

conebeckham wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?
A bit off-topic, but for Kagyu retreats, the answer is yes.
Actually, more than one ngondro, often....
I've been meaning to ask, but is Dzogchen even taught in the Karma/Shangpa retreats? And if so, is it done so consistently, or just some retreats? I know Mahamudra is taught consistently.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4798
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by conebeckham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

smcj wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?
A bit off-topic, but for Kagyu retreats, the answer is yes.
Actually, more than one ngondro, often....
I've been meaning to ask, but is Dzogchen even taught in the Karma/Shangpa retreats? And if so, is it done so consistently, or just some retreats? I know Mahamudra is taught consistently.
Depends. That's the short answer.

For example, Thrangu Rinpoche teaches KonChok Chidu in his retreats. I don't know how much "Completion Stage" practice, Dzogchen style, is taught.
At Mirik Monastery, they do MinLing DorSem, and again, not sure how much Dzogchen Dzogrim is taught.

In Kongtrul's day, Dzogchen completion stages were most definitely taught in his retreats. It all really depends on the Dorje Loppon's preferences for the program, you see.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Yudron
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by Yudron » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:57 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
Yudron wrote:
shanehanner wrote:Does anyone know of any 3-year retreats in the Dzogchen tradition (english-speaking)? Also, what are the prerequisites for being accepted into a 3-yr retreat?
Also, you would want to check out Khentrul Lodro Thaye's center in Arkansas. They have a newer small three year retreat place. Also Garchen Rinpoche's Drikung Kagyu center in Arizona has a three year retreat facility, based on concurrent personal retreats, not much group practice. He is a dzogchen yogi, and the approach is not very different.

As far as admission to these three-year retreat groups goes, it is not like being admitted to a college class where, having taken the prerequisite courses, you are guaranteed admission. Yes, they want you to have completed the five ngondro accumulations, but factors like knowing the guiding lama, having good mental and physical health, humility, and the capacity to get along with other people are all factors. The excellent French facility mentioned above uses mo divinations as well.

People who have completed an entire ngondro before entering a cloistered group three-year retreat are generally more stable emotionally, have more self-discipline, and have better shamatha. You would be well-served by doing one—such as the Longchen Nyingthig, Choling or one of the Dudjom Tersar ngondros—if you aspire to retreat. I'm saying this based on the opinions of three dzogchen masters of the highest level, and my own experience as a simple unenlightened practitioner.
Hi Yudron,

If one completes ngondro before doing a three year retreat as you mentioned above, are they generally expected to do another ngondro in the retreat?
Depends on the retreat center. Some would have you do only 10% of the numbers of a second ngondro druptra and then focus on Guru Yoga, some might have you do 100%. In mine I did 10%, because had done more than two already, then the lama decided once the retreat was under way to have us do another ngondro related to a complete cycle we "did." The main point is these Nyingma retreats is to get away from any notion of a fixed curriculum like a college, let go of one's agenda and concepts, and trust the Rinpoche in charge. Be it Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche, Tulku Pema Wangyal Rinpoche, Garchen Rinpoche or Khentrul Lodro Thaye these are stellar lamas who one can trust. They have all done long term retreat, and they have experience guiding retreatants. Loppon Jigme Rinpoche is also going to start a center in Northern California, and he is stellar as well. He did two three year retreats and has lead many for Chatral Rinpoche's disciples.

I remember a Sakya nun once came to our center and told me exactly how our lama had to lead his three year retreat, what the required curriculum was. Another Western Dzogchen teacher lectured a group at a local center about how druptra was all about shamatha and people were just snoozing away their lives wasting years in retreat, no rigpa there. Those kind of "experts" who have never done a retreat led by a dzogchen master have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

I'm going to stop commenting now. If anyone has questions please message me.

YonaUnbound
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by YonaUnbound » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Is there a list of monasteries where Ngondros are offered that anyone knows of?

T. Chokyi
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: Dzogchen 3-year Retreats

Post by T. Chokyi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm

YonaUnbound wrote:Is there a list of monasteries where Ngondros are offered that anyone knows of?

I don't know of a list like that, but there is a good site for Dharma Centers here:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=0

If you are interested in a particular teacher or lineage, or location, perhaps you could post back here with a few more details so practitioners can make more detailed suggestions.

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leif, Majestic-12 [Bot], O_156 and 58 guests