recommended Dzogchen retreats/courses/teachers

narraboth

Re: recommended Dzogchen retreats/courses/teachers

Post by narraboth »

I agree with Karma Yeshe that there's no much point to claim who's the 'greatest' alive. People have different definition on what is great and what is 'greater'.
Back in 3 months ago, many people would have said Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche is the greatest living Dzogchen master, but Rinpoche was not really extensively teaching sem de and lung de either. Nor did the previous Dudjom rinpoche and Dilgo Khyentse rinpoche. How many guru achieved rainbow body is also not a measure.
For highly achieved persons, they might be able to tell who has higher realisation, but for most of us, we can't really tell who's the greatest. How an ant knows which mountain in front of it is higher than another?

It's good to feel that your guru is very special, but put it on the table is like school kids claiming their own dad the best.
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

narraboth wrote:I agree with Karma Yeshe that there's no much point to claim who's the 'greatest' alive. People have different definition on what is great and what is 'greater'.
Back in 3 months ago, many people would have said Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche is the greatest living Dzogchen master, but Rinpoche was not really extensively teaching sem de and lung de either. Nor did the previous Dudjom rinpoche and Dilgo Khyentse rinpoche. How many guru achieved rainbow body is also not a measure.
For highly achieved persons, they might be able to tell who has higher realisation, but for most of us, we can't really tell who's the greatest. How an ant knows which mountain in front of it is higher than another?

It's good to feel that your guru is very special, but put it on the table is like school kids claiming their own dad the best.
:good:

ChNN is great. However I second the recommendation for Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche. If anyone wants to see what an very traditional realized Dzogchen yogi, specifically accomplished in Tögal, looks like, you need look no further.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

Lukasz are you in Poland?

Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpocze is visiting Poland regularly, I highly recommend to meet him.

http://www.loponpogyantanzin.com/
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Karinos wrote:Lukasz are you in Poland?

Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpocze is visiting Poland regularly, I highly recommend to meet him.

Has he ever taught Dzogchen in Poland?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

OT and frivolous posts have been removed.
Please remember - and abide by - the ToS.

:thanks:
Kim
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

newbie wrote: 2 birds kept in a cage. Once they are free, they fly different directions.

KT
Sure. There is a very famous example in the Dzogchen teachings, how the Garuda starts to fly instantly, once he crushed the egg. No matter in wich direction he is flying after he crushed the egg, he is a Garuda.

All the best
Karma Yeshe
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:

I don't know. But he taught the Yeshe Lama in Austria last year.

Post by newbie »

I see a recommendation for Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche and take it as such.
I'm not sure, it could be too early for me to follow on it.
Thank you though!
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

Karma_Yeshe wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:

I don't know. But he taught the Yeshe Lama in Austria last year.

Dudjom Tersar is Dzogchen path, he teaches tersar staring from Ngondro for beginners and for more advance practices like Troma or Dorje Phurba. Both Troma and Phurba are complete Dzogchen paths (as far as I know).
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Karinos wrote:
Dudjom Tersar is Dzogchen path, he teaches tersar staring from Ngondro for beginners and for more advance practices like Troma or Dorje Phurba. Both Troma and Phurba are complete Dzogchen paths (as far as I know).
Yes they are. They generally being with Mahayoga practices and advance through Anuyoga and Atiyoga. Many have accomplished rainbow body through them.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Thank you. I asked because I think I have heard a Polish friend of mine (who has attended some of Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche's retreats) say that Rinpoche teaches Mahayoga/Anuyoga, not Ati.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Lama Pema Dorje Rinpoche will be teaching trekchö again at Pema Osel Ling (http://www.Vajrayana.org) in January, 2017. Usually, there is a specific percent of ngondro completion required before attending those. Details TBA.

If you are over 50 and would like to be a dzogchen student of Rinpoche's, he will be starting a program this year in Oakland with an alternative preliminary of 10 million Vajra Guru mantras, with group support, leading to trekchö teachings. This would be an intensive program with participants completing the accumulation over a three year period. Details TBD. I'll be the assistant/coordinator. Message me if you are interested. Many teachings related to Guru Rinpoche activity practices, etc. will unfold as the accumulations get rolling. Possible webcasts if there is demand.
philji

Post by philji »

Mingyur Rinpoche teaching schedule below.
After over 4 years of retreat, Rinpoche again teaching on different levels of practice including nature of mind teachings.
http://tergar.org/events/tergar-europea ... reat-2016/
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

tingdzin wrote:I doubt that Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche gives public Dzogchen teachings except at a very beginning level (I could be wrong, though).
That's not true. He doesn't webcast them or go on tours around the country or world these days but he's given publicly accessible teachings on Dzogchen practice many times. How in depth or advanced they get depends on who shows up, the capacity/makeup of the group, etc which may have nothing to do with formal preliminaries. There's no guarantees any which way.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Post by newbie »

"It's good to feel that your guru is very special, but put it on the table is like school kids claiming their own dad the best."

I am still not happy with this answer even if Karma_Yeshe is ok with it. I'm not because it's ridiculing me.

You know what sir? May you attain happiness for me since you compare me to a school kid claiming that my own dad is the best.
I stand by my guru even if my guru does not stand by me. I'm a girl and he's entitled to run away from me.
Do you understand me, sir?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yudron,

That's great to hear. What a great option. I'm 70 and, during a recent solo retreat, I tried to do prostrations every day, something I haven't done in many, many years. I trashed my knees after only 4K. This was very disheartening. So giving an option for older beginners is, I think, extremely wise and compassionate. 100 bum of Vajra Guru mantra -- what a wonderful practice!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

newbie wrote:"It's good to feel that your guru is very special, but put it on the table is like school kids claiming their own dad the best."

I am still not happy with this answer even if Karma_Yeshe is ok with it. I'm not because it's ridiculing me.

You know what sir? May you attain happiness for me since you compare me to a school kid claiming that my own dad is the best.
I stand by my guru even if my guru does not stand by me. I'm a girl and he's entitled to run away from me.
Do you understand me, sir?
Hi newbie,

Your post is very confusing. First, where does Karma Yeshe say any such thing? If you read the thread, you can see that it is narraboth who made the statement that you object to. I quoted that post below, so you can see for yourself.

Second, it is not clear that narraboth's statement is directed at you, or is in any way an insult toward you.

Third, why do you think your teacher, who is also my teacher, would run away from you?
narraboth wrote:I agree with Karma Yeshe that there's no much point to claim who's the 'greatest' alive. People have different definition on what is great and what is 'greater'.

I bring all this up because discord among practitioners is not helpful.

Post by newbie »

From the fact that Karma_Yeshe brings up alternatives, I would infer that he is not in accord with ChNNR.
Actually it is none of my business as the saying goes, "De gustibus non est disputandum".

And I'm ok with the alternatives brought up.

But it does not mean at any time that I jump to these alternatives as my choices. As a matter of fact, I will never sell my master for a false guru no matter how good of a friend the latter may become to me.

Proof:
I have said yesterday the story with the trees (which is at any time verifyable) because I need/ed a good anchor in time, a time before being involved with a new age cult (see my introduction).
The purpose of the anchor is to avoid becoming emotionally attached to a non-recognized teacher if being involved with the cult.
There is the possibility that when exiting the cult, one might carry mental schemes of which one might not be aware and as such take ChNNR for something he is not due to existing emotional attachments and mental schemes.
Thus, it is possible that one turns against a master out of attachments for a false guru. Keep in mind that it is a cult with 26 years of existence. I'm not saying it is happening, only that it is possible.
I might have proved that in this context ChNNR is very special. For me, of course.

As for the fact that everyone runs away from me, it doesn't need to happen too mnay times, does it? :)

I hope I answered to most of the confusion I created. (I lost the first edit.)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

newbie wrote: There is the possibility that when exiting the cult, one might carry mental schemes of which one might not be aware and as such take ChNNR for something he is not due to existing emotional attachments and mental schemes.
This is a very important consideration. It helps me understand the rest of what you've said and how you have said it.

I wish you all the best in your practice.

Post by newbie »

Thank you!

Return to “Dzogchen”