recommended Dzogchen retreats/courses/teachers

lunak

recommended Dzogchen retreats/courses/teachers

Post by lunak »

Hi,
I would like to taste Dzogchen ater reading of some books.

I already have experience with Vipassana meditation and retreats.

I am looking for:
retreats/courses: preferably in Europe, or Tibet, but can be US or other places if really valuable
teachers/masters: I know that picking good teacher is essenatial, thats why I would appreciate your recommendation/experiences

Thank you very much for help :)
Lukasz
Malcolm

Re: recommended Dzogchen retreats/courses/teachers

Post by Malcolm »

lunak wrote:Hi,
I would like to taste Dzogchen ater reading of some books.

I already have experience with Vipassana meditation and retreats.

I am looking for:
retreats/courses: preferably in Europe, or Tibet, but can be US or other places if really valuable
teachers/masters: I know that picking good teacher is essenatial, thats why I would appreciate your recommendation/experiences

Thank you very much for help :)
Lukasz
Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is based in Europe. Greatest living Dzogchen master, bar none. https://dzogchen.net
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

After Kyabje Taklung tsetrul Rinpoche passed away, Kyabje Yangthang Rinpoche is probably the last older Tibetan lama who actively give transmission including Dzogchen teaching. Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche used to visit europe every two years. Yangthang Rinpoche might visit europe again, or you can meet him in Sikkim (he gives audience every morning).

Of course, Kyabje Dodrupchen Rinpoche and Kyabje Sangye Tsering Rinpoche are still alive, but my understanding is that they don't openly give teaching anymore. Even meeting them is not easy. However, if you have chance, go find a chance to meet them.

There are several slightly younger nyingma masters also visit europe from time to time and giving Dzogchen teaching. Keep an eye on it.
Last edited by narraboth on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

narraboth wrote:After Kyabje Taklung tsetrul Rinpoche passed away, Kyabje Yangthang Rinpoche is probably the last older Tibetan lama who actively give transmission including Dzogchen teaching. Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche used to visit europe every two years. Yangthang Rinpoche might visit europe again, or you can meet him in Sikkim (he gives audience every morning).

Of course, Kyabje Dodrupchen Rinpoche and Kyabje Sangye Tsering Rinpoche are still alive, but my understanding is that they don't openly give teaching anymore. Even meeting them is not easy.

There are several slightly younger nyingma masters also visit europe from time to time and giving Dzogchen teaching. Keep an eye on it.
Yangthang Rinpoche is a wonderful master.
heart

Post by heart »

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche, Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Mingyur Rinpoche. Also Tuku Dakpa in Finland http://semnyidngalso.com

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi Lukasz, the above are all great recommendations. Every teacher of Dzogchen may have their own lineage and style of presentation. It'd be good to research each and get a taste so you can orient yourself towards what or who draws you / what your karmic affiliation may be. Some other great living masters of Dzogchen:
Dungse Shenphen Dawa Norbu Rinpoche (HH Dudjom Rinpoche's son and dharma heir) who mainly resides in the U.S. but has centers in Europe and may travel there in the near future. Archarya Dawa Chhodak Rinpoche and his brother Lama Pema Dorje are also both great masters of the Dudjom tersar tradition(and they travel to Europe to teach) as is Tulku Pema Rigtsal (he recently published his first book on the topic called "The Great Secret of Mind") who is usually in Nepal and I believe Taiwan.
Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche, also usually in the U.S., is like the living embodiment of Dzogchen, however he rarely teaches these days.
Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is a remarkable teacher with a unique style who teaches both Dzogchen and Mahamudra and resides mainly in the U.S.

Keep in mind that there may be other authentic and great Dzogchen masters and teachers out there, though there's a number who proclaim themselves as such but may lead people astray. So it is good to be careful and take your time in discerning where and with whom to take teachings.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

I can recommend Ganteng Tulku Rinpoche. http://yeshekhorlo.org/gangtengTulkuRinpoche/

What is also important is that you have a (karmic) connection to a teacher. Then you and he or she working together will be much easier. So I would recommend that you try to listen to some general talks by a few masters and try to recognise which one you trust the most. It is not a traditional teaching but e.g. I would ask myself "Would I buy a used car from this person?". Also, even if some people like to claim otherwise, there is no such thing as "the greatest master alive" (or the "Dzogchen Master of the Month" or the "Second-best Dzogchen Master"). There are only Dzogchen Masters and Non-Dzogchen Masters. This is really important to understand and also connected to Dzogchen itself.

All the best!
Karma Yeshe
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Since no one's mentioned him, I really like Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I doubt that Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche gives public Dzogchen teachings except at a very beginning level (I could be wrong, though). Gangteng Rinpoche is excellent and gives authentic traditional Dzogchen teachings, but you will have to commit to doing a ngondro (and complete a good part of it) if you want to attend. Worth it to do so, though.

Chokyi Nyima and his brothers have been doing public Dzogchen retreats for years and can also be relied on. Many of their students have had Vipassana experience before learning from them.

Oh, yes, I agree that Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is also quite brilliant, and also does public Dzogchen teachings.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Yongdzin Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche:

http://shenten.org/index.php?option=com ... 18&lang=en
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Karma_Yeshe wrote: Also, even if some people like to claim otherwise, there is no such thing as "the greatest master alive"
Yes, in point of fact there is. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has done more to promulgate Dzogchen teachings than any other living master. Who else teaches Sems sde, klong sde, man ngag sde, etc. in their complete form, not merely as theories, but as practices? Can you name anyone? No? I didn't think so.

So, while it is true a star, the moon and the sun are all the same in that they illuminate the Earth from the sky, there is a difference in their power to illuminate.

For example, there have been many Dzogchen masters in Tibetan History, but no one would argue that Longchen Rabjam wasn't the greatest Tibetan Dzogchen master in History.
davyji

Post by davyji »

I follow Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche for the practices they offer.
They are both light on theory, freely offering up practical quidance.
Both have regular webcasts and practice manuals that can be purchased.
dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

The essence of the elements is light
ChNN
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Anam Thubten will be leading a residential silent meditation retreat at Kanshoji Temple in France, in July. Although I won't say that he is teaching Dzogchen, I can definitely recommend him. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Post by newbie »

What is also important is that you have a (karmic) connection to a teacher.
You forgot to say that it's a quote from ChNNR.
Well ... next time.
Now I'm really out.
:tongue:
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Pema Osel Ling in Santa Cruz, California is a great place for retreats, traditional Dzogchen ritual practice, teachings, etc. My teacher's center in Los Angeles, California has a similar lineage and style - Khenpo Sonam at L'hundrup Choling. Khenpo actually helped set up POL in the early days and the two groups remain to be very closely connected. L'hundrup Choling has a full set of ritual instruments and we do pujas pretty often. It's a great place for Westerners to learn how to do pujas, which you may not get with other teachers that focus more on teachings and individual practice. Also, Khenpo Sonam is an outstanding teacher. He graduated first in his class from Thekgü Legshe Ling.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

newbie wrote: You forgot to say that it's a quote from ChNNR.
Well ... next time.
Now I'm really out.
:tongue:
It is not a quote I used without mentioning it. It is just a common teaching I heard many times from various masters.

All the best
KY
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Malcolm wrote:
Karma_Yeshe wrote: Also, even if some people like to claim otherwise, there is no such thing as "the greatest master alive"
Yes, in point of fact there is. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has done more to promulgate Dzogchen teachings than any other living master. Who else teaches Sems sde, klong sde, man ngag sde, etc. in their complete form, not merely as theories, but as practices? Can you name anyone? No? I didn't think so.

So, while it is true a star, the moon and the sun are all the same in that they illuminate the Earth from the sky, there is a difference in their power to illuminate.

For example, there have been many Dzogchen masters in Tibetan History, but no one would argue that Longchen Rabjam wasn't the greatest Tibetan Dzogchen master in History.
Of course I know that most Dzogchen Masters today concentrate on man ngag sde. I never said otherwise.

Post by newbie »

Also, even if some people like to claim otherwise, there is no such thing as "the greatest master alive" (or the "Dzogchen Master of the Month" or the "Second-best Dzogchen Master").
2 birds kept in a cage. Once they are free, they fly different directions.

KT

Post by newbie »

"Would I buy a used car from this person?"
@Karma_Yeshe:
I learned to work with circumstances: from ChNNR I would always buy an used car. Does he have one to sell? :smile:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:

Not to mention that Rinpoche has had two Guru's who attained Rainvow Body and that he is a terton.

This is not taking away from other masters at all. It just shows that Rinpoche is... well special in many ways. :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

Kevin

Return to “Dzogchen”