New Longchenpa translations from Eric Fry-Miller

BuddhaFollower

Re: New Longchenpa translations from Eric Fry-Miller

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:How accurate is this:

This is the vision of being consumed into reality.
This is not correct.
Y?
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lewis Decottes wrote:
Is an incorrect translation of ḍākkini citta , a.k.a, mkha' 'gro snying thig.
What would be a more accurate translation?
Literally speaking, snying thig means "the core [thig] of the center [snying]," like the heartwood of a tree. The term "bindu" is not justified in the Sanskrit title, neither is "drop" ([thigs pa])

The standard conventions, "heart essence" or "innermost heart" are perfectly fine since here citta simply means heart. The thig in this case is an intensifier.

M
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

Malcolm wrote:
Heart Bindu of the Dakinis...
Why does snying thig here correspond to citta?
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan (tr. chintokkong)

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."
-Huineng (tr. Mark Crosbie)

ཚེ་འདི་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ཆོས་པ་མིན། །
འཁོར་བ་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ངེས་འབྱུང་མིན། །
བདག་དོན་ལ་ཞེན་ན་བྱང་སེམས་མིན། །
འཛིན་པ་བྱུང་ན་ལྟ་བ་མིན། །
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Temicco wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Heart Bindu of the Dakinis...
Why does snying thig here correspond to citta?
Because the title of the cycle, given within the gter ma text itself is ḍākkini citta.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:How accurate is this:

This is the vision of being consumed into reality.
This is not correct.
Y?

Because it is not correct, because it does not correspond to the meaning, because there is no locative particle before chos nyid— for many reasons.

Khyentse Wangpo explains that because all phenomena (dharmin) are exhausted, also their dharmatā is exhausted.
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

Malcolm wrote:
Because the title of the cycle, given within the gter ma text itself is ḍākkini citta.
So the gter ma provides its Sanskrit name? If so, what for? (I don't really know how gter ma works)

And is the double "k" of ḍākkini important? I've only ever seen ḍākinī.
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan (tr. chintokkong)

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."
-Huineng (tr. Mark Crosbie)

ཚེ་འདི་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ཆོས་པ་མིན། །
འཁོར་བ་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ངེས་འབྱུང་མིན། །
བདག་དོན་ལ་ཞེན་ན་བྱང་སེམས་མིན། །
འཛིན་པ་བྱུང་ན་ལྟ་བ་མིན། །
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
This is not correct.
Y?

Because it is not correct, because it does not correspond to the meaning, because there is no locative particle before chos nyid— for many reasons.

Khyentse Wangpo explains that because all phenomena (dharmin) are exhausted, also their dharmatā is exhausted.
So what does one see?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:
Y?

So what does one see?
Everything.
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

So what does one see?
Everything.
So you see the five pure lights and conventional objects?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
BuddhaFollower wrote:
So what does one see?
Everything.
So you see the five pure lights and conventional objects?
Since conventional objects are made of the five pure lights...
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hmmm, so there are errors in the translations, bummer.
My copy of the Golden Garland seemed okay but then again I don't know the original language, so finding out about errors in the translation...glad my other order was refunded.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

RikudouSennin wrote:Hmmm, so there are errors in the translations, bummer.
My copy of the Golden Garland seemed okay but then again I don't know the original language, so finding out about errors in the translation...glad my other order was refunded.
Translators are works in progress.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Malcolm wrote:
True. I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate translators hard works. Was just worried about potential errors in the text. Also the text come with the Tibetan script so that's cool as well.

As a side note Eric is sending my order even after refunding me, so I thought that was pretty cool of him.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

RikudouSennin wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
True. I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate translators hard works. Was just worried about potential errors in the text. Also the text come with the Tibetan script so that's cool as well.

As a side note Eric is sending my order even after refunding me, so I thought that was pretty cool of him.
Yes, that was understood. :-)
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Malcolm wrote:
Lewis Decottes wrote:
Literally speaking, snying thig means "the core [thig] of the center [snying]," like the heartwood of a tree. The term "bindu" is not justified in the Sanskrit title, neither is "drop" ([thigs pa])

The standard conventions, "heart essence" or "innermost heart" are perfectly fine since here citta simply means heart. The thig in this case is an intensifier.

M
So snying thig is not to be understood as snying gyi thig le, as indicated by Rangjung Yeshe's Dharma Dictionary?

Personally, I prefer the translation "Heart Essence" or "Vital Essence" to "Heart Bindu," but isn't a bindu/thigle usually glossed as "essential drop"?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Karma Jinpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Lewis Decottes wrote:

M
So snying thig is not to be understood as snying gyi thig le, as indicated by Rangjung Yeshe's Dharma Dictionary?

Personally, I prefer the translation "Heart Essence" or "Vital Essence" to "Heart Bindu," but isn't a bindu/thigle usually glossed as "essential drop"?
It is not.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Malcolm wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote: So snying thig is not to be understood as snying gyi thig le, as indicated by Rangjung Yeshe's Dharma Dictionary?

It is not.
Which part? snying thig is not snying gyi thig le? Or bindu shouldn't be defined as "essential drop"?

That's the only translation I've heard, though as often as not it's simply left untranslated as bindu or thigle.

Whatever the case may be, "principle of spherical ongoingness" for thigle seems very far afield. At least we can agree about that, yes?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Karma Jinpa wrote: Which part? snying thig is not snying gyi thig le? Or bindu shouldn't be defined as "essential drop"?
Both, in this context.
nonabiding

Post by nonabiding »

I previously purchased some translations of Eric Fry-Miller on Khandro Yangtik. The first order was slow, but the following ones were processed promptly with the book(s) arriving in one week.

Regarding the content, these translations are the only recent English material about Khangdro Yangtik and Khandro Nyingthig, which contains some finest empirical thogal instructions not available from elsewhere. For example, what to do when one sees vertical or horizontal appearances, what training to take when the bindus drift, how the ground abides (in terms of luminosity) etc; these instructions are invaluable when one wants to stabilize his or her thogal experience and gain realization. [Khenpo Ngawang Palzang recounted a story about Khandro Nyingthig in his autobiography: upon an event of Khandro Nyinthig empowerment and instruction, some seasoned practitioners refused to attend, thinking that the dzogchen instructions they had received such as Vima Nyinthig and Lama Yangtik were sufficient. It is no doubt that the Khandro Nyinthig is a precious transmission, but it is not clear how many people are karmically connected to it, even in Tibet.]

I can send out the titles I previously ordered at half of the listed prices, just as an opportunity for some people to know about these translations. There are five titles and each has only one copy available. If interested, send me a private message for the available titles.
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Malcolm wrote:
Malcolm, which Longchenpa translations float your boat?

Return to “Dzogchen”