Buddhahood in This Life

Boomerang

Re: Buddhahood in This Life

Post by Boomerang » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Is the book safe for members of the Dzogchen Community who have not received thogal instructions?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Boomerang wrote:Is the book safe for members of the Dzogchen Community who have not received thogal instructions?
The book, as stated in my intro, is intended for those who have received Dzogchen empowerment and instructions. There are no explicit instructions in the book on how to practice thögal.

udawa

Post by udawa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Harimoo wrote:Is there any difference between pre-order on Wisdom Publications and pre-order on Amazon ? (shipments to Europe with Wisdom Pub are huge)
It is going to be internationally distributed by Simon and Schuster, so you should also be able to get it from Wisdom Books in England.
Alas, Wisdom Books (the UK book distributor, not Wisdom Publications) appear to have ceased trading.

Hopefully an alternative to Amazon will emerge to take its place.

Sign of the times I suppose.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:36 pm

udawa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Harimoo wrote:Is there any difference between pre-order on Wisdom Publications and pre-order on Amazon ? (shipments to Europe with Wisdom Pub are huge)
It is going to be internationally distributed by Simon and Schuster, so you should also be able to get it from Wisdom Books in England.
Alas, Wisdom Books (the UK book distributor, not Wisdom Publications) appear to have ceased trading.

Hopefully an alternative to Amazon will emerge to take its place.

Sign of the times I suppose.
You should be able to order the books directly from Wisdom pubs, and it will be published as an e-book.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 am

Malcolm wrote:
Kelwin wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
This book is a comprehensive overview of the approach of Dzogchen man ngag sde. It is not a visionary account, like Dudjom Lingpa's Nangjang.
Could you elaborate a bit on it's contents, and/or how it's different from other works on Dzogchen?
Most importantly, it is the precursor to Longchenpa's Tshig don mdzod, and is the text that Longchenpa had in front of him when he wrote the latter. Longchenpa lifts entire passages from this text. Secondly, it contains, I believe, the first translation of an extensive analysis of the opening scenes of the Dzogcnen tantras, the nidāna section. Third, it is a quarter of the length of the Tshig don mdzod, making it a more manageable text, since it has many less citations. It gives context to Longchenpa's own works and thought on Dzogchen man ngag sde. It is a major text of the Northern Treasures tradition. Finally, it has my introduction where I detail my thoughts on Dzogchen terminology and view.

M
This is marvelous :good:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Dear Friends:

We at Zangthal Editions are pleased to announce a book release event on December 14th, 2016, 6:00 PM EST, which will be streamed live on Facebook for the benefit of those of you who reside far away from Vermont (most of you.)

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Malcolm wrote:Dear Friends:

We at Zangthal Editions are pleased to announce a book release event on December 14th, 2016, 6:00 PM EST, which will be streamed live on Facebook for the benefit of those of you who reside far away from Vermont (most of you.)
Cool beans, man!! Northern Daughters Art Gallery is two blocks from my house. Hope to meet you! :thumbsup:
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Jeff H wrote:

Cool beans, man!! Northern Daughters Art Gallery is two blocks from my house. Hope to meet you! :thumbsup:
I am sure we will meet then.

mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:26 am

Given the fact that I live in the furthest corner of this flat earth I will have to stick to a Kindle copy.

Cant' wait though.

This is another great example of "Western" Buddhism finding its feet.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Looking forward to this Malcolm, and I'll be watching the stream for sure.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

gzodzilpa

Post by gzodzilpa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks Malcolm for your efforts, the book is great! The translation is clear, the forward is insightful, and the text is very well organized. :twothumbsup:

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Malcolm--congratulations once more on this translation. I look forward to giving it a careful study soon. I've not received any sort of transmission from the Chang ter, so I haven't bought a copy yet...

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:25 am

gzodzilpa wrote:Thanks Malcolm for your efforts, the book is great! The translation is clear, the forward is insightful, and the text is very well organized. :twothumbsup:
Glad you are enjoying it.

WuMing

Post by WuMing » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am

Haven't been able to watch the stream, unfortunately! Was this event recorded? Can it be watched somewhere?
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm

WuMing wrote:

Haven't been able to watch the stream, unfortunately! Was this event recorded? Can it be watched somewhere?
It has not happened yet.

M

WuMing

Post by WuMing » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Malcolm wrote:
WuMing wrote:

It has not happened yet.

M
that's too bad!maybe it will appear sometime somewhere ...
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

heart

Post by heart » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Got my copy today, nice looking book!!

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 pm

WuMing wrote:that's too bad!maybe it will appear sometime somewhere ...
He means the stream itself has not happened yet; it is on 14th December, not 14th November.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 am

WuMing wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
WuMing wrote:
It has not happened yet.

M
Yes, it will appear next month, on December 14th, 2016.

WuMing

Post by WuMing » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:13 am

Malcolm wrote:
WuMing wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
It has not happened yet.

M
Yes, it will appear next month, on December 14th, 2016.
aaaahh ... December ... sorry!
- Mike Tyson
- Noam Chomsky

Return to “Dzogchen”