Buddhahood in This Life

Vasana

Re: Buddhahood in This Life

Post by Vasana »

Enjoyed the replay of the webcast. Thanks for your stories and teachings! I'm looking forward to reading the book hopefully some time in January.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Just finnished it.
Really really liked it, love to hear more dharma talks by you. Are there any available?
Lhakpa

Post by Lhakpa »

Just got it on Kindle, can't wait to start reading. :twothumbsup:
Tao

Post by Tao »

Lhakpa wrote:Just got it on Kindle, can't wait to start reading. :twothumbsup:
+1

:smile:
:namaste:
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Only just got around to watching the video. Great talk Image
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi Malcolm

Hope you had a wonderful time in Tenerife with ChNN and that this most precious transmission of the Three Scrolls was surrounded with an abundance of auspicious signs !!!

I just wanted to ask if there is any update about this possible lung of The Great Commentary ?

Best regards
M
Kris

Post by Kris »

Could you explain a bit more about the various modalities of an individual's consciousness.

1)Since ye shes (pristine consciousness), shes rab (wisdom) and rnam shes (consciousness) are different modalities of shes pa.

In this context what is the difference for example between ye shes and shes rab?

2) Aren't they both operative words to describe a knowledge that determines all phenomenon as being empty? (wisdom)

3)Or to the manifest state of the ground? (pristine consciousness)

I hope im not just complicating these terms.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

RikudouSennin wrote:Could you explain a bit more about the various modalities of an individual's consciousness.

1)Since ye shes (pristine consciousness), shes rab (wisdom) and rnam shes (consciousness) are different modalities of shes pa.

In this context what is the difference for example between ye shes and shes rab?

2) Aren't they both operative words to describe a knowledge that determines all phenomenon as being empty? (wisdom)

Shes rab and rig pa are synonyms. Dzogchen is based on the idea found in some Sarma tantras as well, that all phenomena are included in potentiality (rtsal) of ye shes when the basis arises from the basis. When the potential of ye shes is misperceived, this is rnam shes and this in turn cases samsara. When it is correctly perceived (i.e. shes rab) as one's own state, this is the cause for nirvana.
Kris

Post by Kris »

:good: :namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:Could you explain a bit more about the various modalities of an individual's consciousness.

Shes rab and rig pa are synonyms. Dzogchen is based on the idea found in some Sarma tantras as well, that all phenomena are included in potentiality (rtsal) of ye shes when the basis arises from the basis. When the potential of ye shes is misperceived, this is rnam shes and this in turn cases samsara. When it is correctly perceived (i.e. shes rab) as one's own state, this is the cause for nirvana.
This is the main point of the teachings. There are many kinds of teachings but they are all for discovering that essential point in our experience.

Kevin
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi Malcolm,

Pardon my asking again (I'm surprised no one else did):  

Is there any update as regards to this possible Oral Transmission of Vimalamitra's Great Commentary ?

Many thanks in advance :namaste:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Marc wrote:Hi Malcolm,

Is there any update as regards to this possible Oral Transmission of Vimalamitra's Great Commentary ?

I think he said to watch facebook for updates, Marc. Also, I am sure Mr. Malcolm will post here as well.

Kevin
Marc

Post by Marc »

Virgo wrote:

I think he said to watch facebook for updates, Marc. Also, I am sure Mr. Malcolm will post here as well.

Kevin
Thx Kevin :anjali:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It will happen in June.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Malcolm wrote: It will happen in June.
Fantastic ! Thx for the update.
Kris

Post by Kris »

heart wrote:Just finished reading this book and I think it is wonderful. Much easier to read and understand than Longchenpas "Precious Treasury of the Genuine Meaning" that also covers the same topics. Thank you Malcolm!

/magnus
I agree with this sentiment, even so I would add that reading them side by side is wonderful as well. For instance if a person wants a more elaborate explanation of a topic being explored in The Great Commentary, there is then the option to examine The Precious Treasury of Genuine Meaning.

Furthermore with Malcolms explanation (below) the first and second topics have become more accessible, making the overall eleven themes more intelligible. Of course this is just my opinion.
Malcolm wrote: Shes rab and rig pa are synonyms. Dzogchen is based on the idea found in some Sarma tantras as well, that all phenomena are included in potentiality (rtsal) of ye shes when the basis arises from the basis. When the potential of ye shes is misperceived, this is rnam shes and this in turn cases samsara. When it is correctly perceived (i.e. shes rab) as one's own state, this is the cause for nirvana.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
hypa3000

Post by hypa3000 »

Tao wrote:
Lhakpa wrote:Just got it on Kindle, can't wait to start reading. :twothumbsup:
+1

:smile:
:namaste:
+1 :quoteunquote:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

A belated, but heartfelt, thank-you from me. One hell of a book it is. :reading:

PS. Looking forward to receiving the lung.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Malcolm wrote:

It will happen in June.
Thank you for the book - it's remarkable.

If there's anyway that the lung could be done online, those of us who can't be in the US for it would be eternally grateful - or at least, grateful for the remainder of this life.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PeterC wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

It will happen in June.
Thank you for the book - it's remarkable.

If there's anyway that the lung could be done online, those of us who can't be in the US for it would be eternally grateful - or at least, grateful for the remainder of this life.
Glad you enjoyed the book.

The lung will be given online. It will very likely take place on June 18th.

Return to “Dzogchen”