Is Tobacco an obstacle to practice?

jet.urgyen

Re: Is Tobacco an obstacle to practice?

Post by jet.urgyen »

In the DC we do 9 purification breathings ans also yantra yoga, and other purification practices. To consume such intoxicants of the breath and organs is doing just the opposite.

According to the practice principle, you can justify it's consumption if you are capable of integrate it into contemplation, so it is up on you.

Rinpoche often says "limitations are cause of samsara, not cause of realization". I dont think this means one can drop into fire and pretend one is not burning, but do so if one is capable of integrate fire, like GP did.

Thia is what i understand.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

bfaus wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:18 pm Please forgive my ignorant question, but it is sincere.

Is smoking pipe tobacco an obstacle to realization, in and of itself? I have read a post: http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... it=Tobacco. This seems to point to 'yes', Can a senior student of the DC confirm this for me?

Note that pipe smoking, in this context, doesn't equate to smoking cigarettes, or inhaling tobacco, or even compulsory smoking.

Thank you!
Tashi delek,

You can use what you like such as tobacco, alcohol, hashish, cocaine, sugar, coca cola, rich food etc.
As long as it does not change you, you are allowed to use it.
If it changes you , you must stop using it, right on

That was an advice from my Master.

Guess if one cannot integrate "drugs" , then we must stop using it.
Drugs etc. has the characteristic, that one needs more and more, that is the problem of addiction.
The best meditation is no meditation
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Tashi delek,

You can use what you like such as tobacco, alcohol, hashish, cocaine, sugar, coca cola, rich food etc.

Drugs etc. has the characteristic, that one needs more and more, that is the problem of addiction.
Hi Sheldon, I actually would not recommend that people use cocaine, as it is highly addictive. Opiates and other drugs are also very addictive and dangerous. For some people alcohol also creates a problem.

Tobacco is not considered a mind-altering substance, but in my opinion it is quite harmful, and is a useless addiction.

Kevin...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tobacco is a stupid habit.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Many people become addicted to drugs, including tobacco, and slowly, slowly, all they know are sad songs.

Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm
Tobacco is not considered a mind-altering substance, but in my opinion it is quite harmful, and is a useless addiction.

Kevin...
I myself smoked for 7 years. When I wrote that post I was outside, taking a walk on a trail (and using my phone). After I sent it, I was walking uphill and became short of breath. I reflected on my lungs and the damage I did to them when I smoked as a teen. I also reflected on all the money I spent on it, and for what purpose? At that moment, even though I quit many, many years ago, I "sang a sad song". We should do our best for protecting our health, which includes staying sober, avoiding tobacco, and staying healthy in any way we can. Too many people succumb to addictions. As practitioners, it is imperative we avoid such a passive state.

Kevin...
kalden yungdrung

Virgo wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Tashi delek,

Hi Sheldon, I actually would not recommend that people use cocaine, as it is highly addictive. Opiates and other drugs are also very addictive and dangerous. For some people alcohol also creates a problem.

Kevin...

Everything can cause addiction, like sugar for instance added to food.
Many intakes can have the equal effect of addiction.
Sugar has a higher addiction degree than cocaine, only difference would be that sugar addiction is a legal addiction. They add / push it to food to make that food commercial ok for good sales.
Children can be very addicted to sugar........

And do not lets forget the legal medicines of the pharma machine, who are to a high degree junk.
these medicines and especially those used in the psychiatry are medicines, good for addiction (sales)
If these medicines helps that is at the end of the intake, after years doubtful.

End conclusion: If sugar, coca cola, big Mac whooper, medicines, illegal drugs etc. change you than stop with that consumption. All seen as "drugs" = addiction

By the way my name is not Sheldon. :shrug:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 pm
Sorry Kalden.

They are all addictive substances, but I do not see them as equal in terms of how addictive they are, and more importantly, how dangerous they are.

That is just my take.

Kevin...
kalden yungdrung

Virgo wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:42 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 pm
Sorry Kalden.

They are all addictive substances, but I do not see them as equal in terms of how addictive they are, and more importantly, how dangerous they are.

That is just my take.

Kevin...
Can follow your thoughts very well, dear Kevin.

Important with all these stuff which can make addiction possible, would be stop with that all, before you can get addicted. If one is addicted then it is mostly with all these examples too late, then one has changed to the status of junkie in most cases and that means one has then changed.

Then of course there is difference between a crystal mad addicted person and a person who is addicted to Coca Cola (sugar). First mentioned person is full addicted after 1 week. So here it is difficult to say if it changes you then stop with it.

But the long term use of Coca Cola and big Mac whoopers leads also to illness like heart infarct, obesity, high blood pressure etc. after some years.

Then it is mostly difficult for persons to stop in time with all those above mentioned stuff, because the cause why they use and get used to those stuff etc., is like we know in Buddhism, mental.

But if these folks would cure the cause ( inside their mind), then the addiction is very quick finished, i am convinced about that.

=================

Regarding smoking i would say it damages the upward going energy in the body.
Very bad for persons who do yoga and meditation because here we make use of some energy which goes up to for instance to the top of the crown of the head etc.
Smoking damages this energy very clear.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

If one's father is a non-believer and a smoker, would it be alright to offer the smoke as incense to the Buddhas and dedicate the merit to him so he can be liberated? Also, can this work in Riwo Sangchod or not?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Important with all these stuff which can make addiction possible, would be stop with that all, before you can get addicted. If one is addicted then it is mostly with all these examples too late, then one has changed to the status of junkie in most cases and that means one has then changed.
Absolutely.
kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm But if these folks would cure the cause ( inside their mind), then the addiction is very quick finished, i am convinced about that.
Agreed.

Kevin...
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 pm Tobacco is a stupid habit.
They all are
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I quit for a week and then bought another pack of lights like yesterday. Unnecessary, i know. Let's see how it goes this time..
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

:?
kalden yungdrung

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:10 am I quit for a week and then bought another pack of lights like yesterday. Unnecessary, i know. Let's see how it goes this time..
Tashi delek WY,

Does it work, a smoke and Meditation / Yoga ?
Could be that you would not have any problems.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Tjena huggtand!

I've had a half this morning. No withdrawals. Will be fine.

Return to “Dzogchen”