Mahamudra same as Dzogchen?

Malcolm

Re: Mahamudra same as Dzogchen?

Post by Malcolm »

Kelwin wrote:
As for the quote by Milarepa, I have no idea why that would refer to the Great Perfection? Is this the specific Tibetan terminology used here?
The term he uses for "prowess" is "nyams rtsal." The term is common enough, but the Lhastun is pointing out is his use of it in connection with awakened mind, byang chub sems, which Lhatsun apparently takes as a Dzogchen reference.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

krodha wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Received lung for Dudjom Rinpoche's "Buddhahood Without Meditation" twice now
Not to be a pedant, but I believe you mean Dudjom Lingpa.

Buddhahood Without Meditation is the title for the book which is a translation of his Rang bZhin rDzogs pa Chen po'i Rang Zhel mNgon du Byed pa'i gDams pa ma sGom Sangs rGyas bZhugs so.
Is there a difference?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
krodha wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Received lung for Dudjom Rinpoche's "Buddhahood Without Meditation" twice now
Not to be a pedant, but I believe you mean Dudjom Lingpa.

Buddhahood Without Meditation is the title for the book which is a translation of his Rang bZhin rDzogs pa Chen po'i Rang Zhel mNgon du Byed pa'i gDams pa ma sGom Sangs rGyas bZhugs so.
Is there a difference?
Well, yes. Dudjom Lingpa passed away in 1904. Dudjom Rinpoche was born in 1904.

As far as the big red book goes, no, you dont need a lung, but it is good to receive it anyway.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Malcolm wrote:
Kelwin wrote:
As for the quote by Milarepa, I have no idea why that would refer to the Great Perfection? Is this the specific Tibetan terminology used here?
The term he uses for "prowess" is "nyams rtsal." The term is common enough, but the Lhastun is pointing out is his use of it in connection with awakened mind, byang chub sems, which Lhatsun apparently takes as a Dzogchen reference.
Seems a bit far fetched? Anyway, that's a different debate I guess.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:Well, yes. Dudjom Lingpa passed away in 1904. Dudjom Rinpoche was born in 1904.
If you believe in reincarnation and tertons, then it is the continuation of the same mindstream. So I do not differentiate between the two.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Well, yes. Dudjom Lingpa passed away in 1904. Dudjom Rinpoche was born in 1904.
If you believe in reincarnation and tertons, then it is the continuation of the same mindstream. So I do not differentiate between the two.
Apparently Dudjom Rinpoche is considered to have been Dudjom Lingpa's "mind emanation",
see: http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dudjom_Lingpa.

I don't know if that means DR's mindstream is considered to have been the continuation of DL's or not. I've never really understood all this emanation business tbh. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
That is what you might believe. I am comfortable with the idea of reincarnations (whether tertons or not) of being very separate persons from their predecessors. And, Dudjom Lingpa had more than one incarnation.
fckw

Post by fckw »

"Same mindstream" - how can a mindstream really be same, equal or different? And what's the difference between same and equal anyway?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:That is what you might believe. I am comfortable with the idea of reincarnations (whether tertons or not) of being very separate persons from their predecessors. And, Dudjom Lingpa had more than one incarnation.
So? Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo has five types of emanations, with more than one in emanation of some of the categories.

Sku
Dzongsar Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Wangpo (1894?-1909)
Gsung
Karma Khyentse'i Ozer (1896–1945)
Second Beru Khyentse (Beru or Palpung Khyentse) (1946-)
Thugs
Sakya Punpo Khyentse (1900–1950)
Dilgo Khyentse Rabsal Dawa (1910–1991)
Se Phagchog Dorje (1854–1919), a son of Togden Shakya Sri
Yon tan
Dzogchen Khyentse Guru Tsewang (c.1897-c.1945)
Nangchen Khyentse Kunzang Drodul (1897-1946)
Phrin las
Katog Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Lodro (1893–1959), later known as Dzongsar Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Lodro

Like you don't have a problem considering them seperate persons I don't have a problem considering them the same. Now who's view is correct is a point of contention that I am not really all that interested in.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:That is what you might believe. I am comfortable with the idea of reincarnations (whether tertons or not) of being very separate persons from their predecessors. And, Dudjom Lingpa had more than one incarnation.
So? Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo has five types of emanations, with more than one in emanation of some of the categories.

Sku
Dzongsar Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Wangpo (1894?-1909)
Gsung
Karma Khyentse'i Ozer (1896–1945)
Second Beru Khyentse (Beru or Palpung Khyentse) (1946-)
Thugs
Sakya Punpo Khyentse (1900–1950)
Dilgo Khyentse Rabsal Dawa (1910–1991)
Se Phagchog Dorje (1854–1919), a son of Togden Shakya Sri
Yon tan
Dzogchen Khyentse Guru Tsewang (c.1897-c.1945)
Nangchen Khyentse Kunzang Drodul (1897-1946)
Phrin las
Katog Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Lodro (1893–1959), later known as Dzongsar Khyentse Jamyang Chökyi Lodro

Like you don't have a problem considering them seperate persons I don't have a problem considering them the same. Now who's view is correct is a point of contention that I am not really all that interested in.
Definitely the view that they are not the same persons is correct since we do not believe, in Buddhism, in the continuity of personhood at all. If we do, we are making a mistake.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:Definitely the view that they are not the same persons is correct since we do not believe, in Buddhism, in the continuity of personhood at all. If we do, we are making a mistake.
Sure. But this means that there is not "this person" either. ;) And yet here "I" am bugging the crap out of "you".

Anyway, you don't have to take my word on the matter, why don't you go ask your teacher? He's a tulku after all. I am 100% sure he knows a lot more than me about the issue. Or his son. He's also a tulku, isn't he?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Definitely the view that they are not the same persons is correct since we do not believe, in Buddhism, in the continuity of personhood at all. If we do, we are making a mistake.
Sure. But this means that there is not "this person" either. ;) And yet here "I" am bugging the crap out of "you".

Anyway, you don't have to take my word on the matter, why don't you go ask your teacher? He's a tulku after all. I am 100% sure he knows a lot more than me about the issue. Or his son. He's also a tulku, isn't he?
ChNN has zero confidence in the tulku system, as a whole. He has mentioned this quite often. In any respect, I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself how to understand these things without needing to run to a Tibetan lama every time someone else has doubts.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:ChNN has zero confidence in the tulku system, as a whole. He has mentioned this quite often.
I wasn't talking about the tulku "system" I was talking about the fact that he is a tulku. Does he also doubt that he is a tulku?
In any respect, I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself how to understand these things without needing to run to a Tibetan lama every time someone else has doubts.
So, what's good for the goose is not good for the gander, coz 5 posts ago...

I will be chasing down the Big Red Book nonetheless, thanks for recommending it!

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
Apparently Dudjom Rinpoche is considered to have been Dudjom Lingpa's "mind emanation",
see: http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dudjom_Lingpa.

I don't know if that means DR's mindstream is considered to have been the continuation of DL's or not. I've never really understood all this emanation business tbh. :smile:
BTW, I had a look at this: http://about.tbrc.org/whos-who-in-the-dudjom-lineage/
and Gayley says that Dudjom Rinpoche was the body emanation (sku sprul). Does anyone know what the deal is?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:ChNN has zero confidence in the tulku system, as a whole. He has mentioned this quite often.
I wasn't talking about the tulku "system" I was talking about the fact that he is a tulku. Does he also doubt that he is a tulku?
He certainly did, for many, many years. And I am quite certain if you asked him if he were the same person as Adzom Drugpa, he would look at you very strangely. But you can try.
In any respect, I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself how to understand these things without needing to run to a Tibetan lama every time someone else has doubts.
So, what's good for the goose is not good for the gander, coz 5 posts ago...

I will be chasing down the Big Red Book nonetheless, thanks for recommending it!

I gave you a reference in a book so you could decide for yourself how to understand these things. I did not tell you to go off and ask Orgyen Tenzin how to understand these things.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote: and Gayley says that Dudjom Rinpoche was the body emanation (sku sprul). Does anyone know what the deal is?
Quite honestly, is it very important at all?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: and Gayley says that Dudjom Rinpoche was the body emanation (sku sprul). Does anyone know what the deal is?
Quite honestly, is it very important at all?
Um, no, but is that the criterion for being worthy of discussion on this forum? :smile:
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Malcolm wrote:ChNN has zero confidence in the tulku system, as a whole.

Then why did he want his son to go to the monastery he is the tulku of?
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
krodha

Post by krodha »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
Malcolm wrote:ChNN has zero confidence in the tulku system, as a whole.
Then why did he want his son to go to the monastery he is the tulku of?
Probably because it meant a great deal to the people of that region.
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

I agree tulkus are merely metaphorical reincarnations, since there are instructions for anyone to be born as a tulku, multiple tulkus are selected for the same person, etc.

Thats obvious.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.

Return to “Dzogchen”