Dorje Yudronma safe or not?

Tenma

Dorje Yudronma safe or not?

Post by Tenma »

Okay, I've read that Dorje Yudronma should be realized by now and would either be enlightened or a high bodhisattva. However, from other teachings, I've found that she is not to be practiced for common students with empowerment. If she is enlightened, wouldn't it be safe to recite her mantra? Although I'm still confused on her visualization, would it be alright to do her practice? as she is also a form of Tingi Shalzangma, a retinue of unenlightened Tseringma and enlightened Palden Lhamo, I am not too sure if she is enlightened or not and safe or not.
Fortyeightvows

Re: Dorje Yudronma safe or not?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I can't really speak to your question but...
I personally think that it is best for a person to just do the mantras they were taught.
Worship the same deities that one's family and teachers worship. Why recite mantras found in a book or online? Isn't it much bebetr to recite the mantras one's has been taught and instructed to recite by their teachers?
But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
(I learned that expression here on the wheel)

On the other hand, thinking about it more, if a person hears stories of a deity and they feel some affinity or they hear of a deity being particularly efficacious then it would seem natural for them to want to worship that deity. After all that is how these things spread right?

Since I haven't aaddressed the question in your post, I probably shouldn't have commented. Please forgive me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenma wrote:Okay, I've read that Dorje Yudronma should be realized by now and would either be enlightened or a high bodhisattva. However, from other teachings, I've found that she is not to be practiced for common students with empowerment. If she is enlightened, wouldn't it be safe to recite her mantra? Although I'm still confused on her visualization, would it be alright to do her practice? as she is also a form of Tingi Shalzangma, a retinue of unenlightened Tseringma and enlightened Palden Lhamo, I am not too sure if she is enlightened or not and safe or not.
Are you a student of ChNN?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

No, I'm afraid not.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Okay, thank you. I now understand she is safe, however, I heard that she has a wrathful form which takes trance in an oracle by the name of Mrs. Dolkar:
https://books.google.com/books?id=rDvqD ... ar&f=false
Ia there by any chance, a thangka or image of this wrathful form or perhaps in a mandala I can find the description in? I have been trying to visualize her peaceful form properly in two different ways, one with mirror in right and arrow in left, and another with arrow to left and flask to right. I'm not too sure which one is correct, especially whether to use pale robes or colored robes while also trying to find out the wrathful form. As she is the leader of the Tenma, I am interested to see what her wrathful form looks like.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Tenma wrote:Okay, thank you. I now understand she is safe, however, I heard that she has a wrathful form which takes trance in an oracle by the name of Mrs. Dolkar:
https://books.google.com/books?id=rDvqD ... ar&f=false
Ia there by any chance, a thangka or image of this wrathful form or perhaps in a mandala I can find the description in? I have been trying to visualize her peaceful form properly in two different ways, one with mirror in right and arrow in left, and another with arrow to left and flask to right. I'm not too sure which one is correct, especially whether to use pale robes or colored robes while also trying to find out the wrathful form. As she is the leader of the Tenma, I am interested to see what her wrathful form looks like.
All of these questions you should direct to your teacher from whom you received the instructions on practice.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Dorje Yudronma, (Vajra Turquoise Lamp) the Longchen Nyinthig lineage-protector who bears an arrow tied with five-coloured silks in her right hand and a divination mirror in her left. In the life of yogi, Jigme Gyalwai Nyugu, she appeared when he was starving and offered him food.
http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... eities.htm

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu: The Longsal Divination of Dorje Yudronma
https://www.ssi-austria.at/shop/chogyal ... -dice.html
Dorje Yudronma is one of the 12 Tenma (Wyl. bstan ma) goddesses, and considered by many sources to be the head of the Tenma. One of her epithets is “The Turquoise Lamp, mistress of the Tenma goddesses [who] protect Tibet” (bod skyong brtan ma’i gtrso mo g.yu yi sgron).
Some sources consider her to be a form of Ralchigma/Ekajati. Yudronma is especially associated with her famous mirror divination rites. Lama Dawa Chöddak Rinpoche is perhaps the most well-known contemporary master of this form of mirror divination. Tsoknyi Rinpoche, with whom Tara Mandala has a close relationship, has a special connection with Dorje Yudronma (a connection shared with his late father, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche), and erected a shrine to her at his retreat center in Crestone, CO. Yudronma has a radiant white body, wears a white dress and turquoise headdress. While various
sources report different hand implements, she is most commonly described as holding a jewel in her right hand and a silver divination mirror in her left hand. She is adorned with wreaths of turquoise, gold, and flowers.
http://taramandala.org/wp-content/uploa ... ission.pdf
Mrs. Dolkar is also known by the spiritual title of Lhamo. "A lhamo is a type of traditional Tibetan oracle who can temporarily embody deities, who enable her to perform shamanic healing and divination work." (Shaman's Drum, number 45) The diety that possesses Mrs. Dolkar is called Dorje Yudronma, and is a pre-Buddhist Tibetan mountain deity that was incorporated into Buddhism as it became established in Tibet. Interestingly enough, H.H. the Dalai Lama officially certified Mrs. Dolkar as a "reliable exorcist" for "all mental and physical ills and problems." (Shaman's Drum, number 45). In the Tibetan tradition, oracles are usually born into a family of shamans. Mrs. Dolkar was not, and therefore her family did not understand why, at an early age, she suffered illness and psychotic episodes. She became a Buddhist nun at age 13 and was known as the "Crazy Nun" because of her unpredictable behavior. She left the nunnery at the insistence of a mysterious old woman who visited her in her dreams. Eventually she married and went to India, but was still unstable and moving from place to place. It was while she was living in Ladakh that a high lama recognized her shamanic potential. Another Lhamo perceived that Mrs. Dolkar had been chosen by the Goddess Dorje Yudronma because of their connection in a previous life. Mrs. Dolkar remained with this Abhi Lhamo as her guru to heal and to learn how to channel the Goddess's energy.
http://www.bodhimed.com/bodhiblog/150-believe-it-or-not

Larry G. Peters, “The Tibetan Rituals of Dorje Yiidronma: A Fierce Manifestation of Feminine Cosmic Force,” in Shaman's Drum (Number 45, 1997)
https://www.amazon.com/Shamans-Magazine ... B00219CAQA
Dorje Yudrönma
Sometimes considered to be the leader of the tenma goddesses, twelve indigenous female deities commanded by Padmakara to protect the land of Tibet, Dorje Yudrönma (“Indestructible Turquoise Torch Lady”) is an important protector in the Nyingma tradition and is particularly associated with Longchenpa, one of the early, great Nyingma masters. She was the deity that the Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche invoked when performing prasena. Though she can be depicted in a variety of colors and holding various implements, in the sadhana by Jamgön Mipham Gyatso Rinpoche that the Vidyadhara used when performing the mirror divination, she is brilliant white in color and holds an arrow with silks of the five colors in her right hand and a silver mirror in her left. Often she rides a mount. She is considered to have a special connection with Ekajati and to be an emanation of Vajravarahi.
https://www.nalandatranslation.org/offe ... ee-courts/
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Sorry to reawaken an old thread, but I have a relevant question.
Yudronma has an oracle.........I've seen a video of the oracle at Nechung Monastery.
Is she enlightened?
If so, how can she have an oracle?
Thanks.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry to reawaken an old thread, but I have a relevant question.
Yudronma has an oracle.........I've seen a video of the oracle at Nechung Monastery.
Is she enlightened?
Thanks.
Yudronma is a mundane emanation of Vajrayogini.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:22 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry to reawaken an old thread, but I have a relevant question.
Is she enlightened?
Thanks.
Thanks. That explains the oracle. :)
In other threads it looked like for some schools she was trreated as enlightened, but not for others.

The context was that I was watching a video from Sikkim where the medium was supposedly possessed by 'the Goddess Drolma' as part of Saka Dawa celebrations. I thoguht this to be nonsense as she is enlightened, then thought of the situation with Yudronma and wasn't sure if she was an example of an enlightened being working through an oracle. We know the other one where there is an inconsistency. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up .
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Is she enlightened?
Thanks.

Hi

Could you kindly clarify this idea?

If someone is an emanation of Vajrayogini, would they not naturally be an enlightened being, actually Vajrayogini appearing in another aspect?
Is it that they have a mundane aspect (proportions, signs/indications etc?) But, on the other hand, doesn't mundane/supramundane depend on the mind of the observer?

Thanks.
DzogchenCentral

Post by DzogchenCentral »

I have to share this experience on the forum, for future reference and because I am indebted to Dorje Yudronma. I was living in norther India, having taken up residence in a Kagyu monstery for a few years while I tried to work out life, dharma and the universe. Was doing ngondro and general contemplation, some karma yoga and receiving transmissions in India and Nepal and enjoying the mountains. A friend and long term practitioner had told me once about the local Lhamo and how she cures disease with a trumpet and of course, I thought it was colourful but not really possible, other than as a blessing or general healing. I could not believe she would be able to extract objects or diseased tissue surgically from inside a human body by blowing on a trumpet No No. As much as my mind had expanded, and I am shedding a lot of prejudices, as a scientist and a still somewhat rational modern educated person I could not even think for a moment that someone could extract disease from the body with a trumpet. One day, after a trip to the UK where I gorged butter and cream to make up for the long term diet of mostly dhal and rice while in livin in the Himalayas - in my retreat room I started having some worrying pains in my lower abdomen, and after some investigation, a scan revealed I had a gallstone, less than 1 cm, the doctor said keep it under observation but probably needs to be surgically removed at some point. I would not that in India, as much as I love the country, so started praying fervently, as one does in matters of life and death. Anyway to cut the story short, in October 2017 I happened to go some place for an empowerment and while sitting around talking to my friends, I remembered about the woman who had her gallstones removed by the Lhamo, so I told her I had a gallstone etc and maybe I should seek out the Lhamo out. But that
I did not really trust metaphisical surgery. Despite my full faith in Dharma. My friend told me that as a matter of fact, she will remove the stone whether I have faith or not. Oh well, That was good, I thought. In that moment the Lhamo in question appeared and started walked towards us, so my friend stood up and introduced me. Lhamo said come tomorrow. I ll cut the story short, but she blew the trumpet on me and extracted 7 stones from the gallbladder and other parts of my abdomen over two visits. She took a small donation only. I was a bit feverish for two days, took some aspirin and felt a cut in my abdomen like but nothing was visible from the outside. A few months later visited Men tse Khang to obtain precious pills, and i asked the woman doctor who also treats HHDL why would HHDL not have his gallstones removed by the Lhamo instead of going to the Hospital and she told me that he does not believe in such things, I thought this was totally paradoxical. Anyway, I asked what kind of entity would be who confers such miraculous healing powers, because I wanted to thank this being whoever it was, from sparing me surgery. In my mind I had had visions of a young girl with flowers on her head, but you know, I have many 'visions'' and not all always correspond to the immediate reality. The MTK doctor said its Dorje Yudronma, So I looked her up, and she is beautiful. Ode to Dorje Yudronma, from then also my protectress and healer . Homage to Dorje Yudronma and to the Llhamos who incarnate her and suck out the s out of countless being out of their infinite kindness without asking anything in return. I bow to things which are greater than us and that we may not always understand. I bow to my personal Vajra Guru, and to all Gurus and to the bigger truth of Dharma and infinite Compassion, I herewith bring this witness statement, in fullfilment of my commitiment to the Guru to tell the truth and to spread the benefits of Dharma to others and in honor of the greater things we do not understand. The same account has been Documented elsewhere. Samaya. a similar video https://www.youtube.co ... enw3SfVcEU
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cloudburst wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:01 pm
Is she enlightened?
Thanks.

Hi

Could you kindly clarify this idea?

If someone is an emanation of Vajrayogini, would they not naturally be an enlightened being, actually Vajrayogini appearing in another aspect?
Is it that they have a mundane aspect (proportions, signs/indications etc?) But, on the other hand, doesn't mundane/supramundane depend on the mind of the observer?

Thanks.
true emanations play like actors in the stage.
"emanation" is also used as a kind of title, apparently is a tibetan tradition to give more importance or propaganda to someone.

Dorje Yudronma is the Guardian of the Longsal teachings transmited to ChNN. Is that safe. 100% safe.

of course if we don't pay respect to the transmission then is not safe jaja :)
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

DzogchenCentral wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am I have to share this experience on the forum, for future reference and because I am indebted to Dorje Yudronma. I was living in norther India, having taken up residence in a Kagyu monstery for a few years while I tried to work out life, dharma and the universe. Was doing ngondro and general contemplation, some karma yoga and receiving transmissions in India and Nepal and enjoying the mountains. A friend and long term practitioner had told me once about the local Lhamo and how she cures disease with a trumpet and of course, I thought it was colourful but not really possible, other than as a blessing or general healing. I could not believe she would be able to extract objects or diseased tissue surgically from inside a human body by blowing on a trumpet No No. As much as my mind had expanded, and I am shedding a lot of prejudices, as a scientist and a still somewhat rational modern educated person I could not even think for a moment that someone could extract disease from the body with a trumpet. One day, after a trip to the UK where I gorged butter and cream to make up for the long term diet of mostly dhal and rice while in livin in the Himalayas - in my retreat room I started having some worrying pains in my lower abdomen, and after some investigation, a scan revealed I had a gallstone, less than 1 cm, the doctor said keep it under observation but probably needs to be surgically removed at some point. I would not that in India, as much as I love the country, so started praying fervently, as one does in matters of life and death. Anyway to cut the story short, in October 2017 I happened to go some place for an empowerment and while sitting around talking to my friends, I remembered about the woman who had her gallstones removed by the Lhamo, so I told her I had a gallstone etc and maybe I should seek out the Lhamo out. But that
I did not really trust metaphisical surgery. Despite my full faith in Dharma. My friend told me that as a matter of fact, she will remove the stone whether I have faith or not. Oh well, That was good, I thought. In that moment the Lhamo in question appeared and started walked towards us, so my friend stood up and introduced me. Lhamo said come tomorrow. I ll cut the story short, but she blew the trumpet on me and extracted 7 stones from the gallbladder and other parts of my abdomen over two visits. She took a small donation only. I was a bit feverish for two days, took some aspirin and felt a cut in my abdomen like but nothing was visible from the outside. A few months later visited Men tse Khang to obtain precious pills, and i asked the woman doctor who also treats HHDL why would HHDL not have his gallstones removed by the Lhamo instead of going to the Hospital and she told me that he does not believe in such things, I thought this was totally paradoxical. Anyway, I asked what kind of entity would be who confers such miraculous healing powers, because I wanted to thank this being whoever it was, from sparing me surgery. In my mind I had had visions of a young girl with flowers on her head, but you know, I have many 'visions'' and not all always correspond to the immediate reality. The MTK doctor said its Dorje Yudronma, So I looked her up, and she is beautiful. Ode to Dorje Yudronma, from then also my protectress and healer . Homage to Dorje Yudronma and to the Llhamos who incarnate her and suck out the s out of countless being out of their infinite kindness without asking anything in return. I bow to things which are greater than us and that we may not always understand. I bow to my personal Vajra Guru, and to all Gurus and to the bigger truth of Dharma and infinite Compassion, I herewith bring this witness statement, in fullfilment of my commitiment to the Guru to tell the truth and to spread the benefits of Dharma to others and in honor of the greater things we do not understand. The same account has been Documented elsewhere. Samaya. a similar video https://www.youtube.co ... enw3SfVcEU
that's awesome!

i trust his divination dices, i'm fan too :)

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:33 pm
DzogchenCentral wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am I have to share this experience on the forum, for future reference and because I am indebted to Dorje Yudronma. I was living in norther India, having taken up residence in a Kagyu monstery for a few years while I tried to work out life, dharma and the universe. Was doing ngondro and general contemplation, some karma yoga and receiving transmissions in India and Nepal and enjoying the mountains. A friend and long term practitioner had told me once about the local Lhamo and how she cures disease with a trumpet and of course, I thought it was colourful but not really possible, other than as a blessing or general healing. I could not believe she would be able to extract objects or diseased tissue surgically from inside a human body by blowing on a trumpet No No. As much as my mind had expanded, and I am shedding a lot of prejudices, as a scientist and a still somewhat rational modern educated person I could not even think for a moment that someone could extract disease from the body with a trumpet. One day, after a trip to the UK where I gorged butter and cream to make up for the long term diet of mostly dhal and rice while in livin in the Himalayas - in my retreat room I started having some worrying pains in my lower abdomen, and after some investigation, a scan revealed I had a gallstone, less than 1 cm, the doctor said keep it under observation but probably needs to be surgically removed at some point. I would not that in India, as much as I love the country, so started praying fervently, as one does in matters of life and death. Anyway to cut the story short, in October 2017 I happened to go some place for an empowerment and while sitting around talking to my friends, I remembered about the woman who had her gallstones removed by the Lhamo, so I told her I had a gallstone etc and maybe I should seek out the Lhamo out. But that
that's awesome!

i trust his divination dices, i'm fan too :)
*her

:P

moonbun

Post by moonbun »

I never thought something like that could occur. I'm glad you got better, DzogchenCentral. Thank you for sharing your story. I've only knew of Dorje Yudronma first through ChNN's divination dice book.
kess77

Post by kess77 »

I have heard of this Lhamo and looking for her in Kathmandu because if some health issues. Does anyone know where I can find here ?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I don’t know if it is the exact same one but I met one in Tso Pema. She helped a lot of people.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Don't worry about her formal classification -- a lot of people disagree about this issue. If you are a Nyingmapa, it's OK to do a service -- chanting, offerings, etc. without empowerment or instruction. Probably better not just pick up a mantra and do it, though, unless you have instruction. As to the form, since she is not a "canonical' yidam, the guise under which you worship her may not be crucial; as you have noticed, there are several forms.

You should, however, be doing more practice addressed to yidams than to protectors. Just doing any protector practice without having a stable mainstream practice is always iffy.

As for the oracle issue, that again depends on whom you talk to.

In sum, protectors are a side issue, and strong practice and bodhicitta motivation are more important to emphasize.

Return to “Dzogchen”