Dzogchen teachers in Kathmandu

dharmafootsteps

Dzogchen teachers in Kathmandu

Post by dharmafootsteps »

I will soon be spending some time in Kathmandu learning Tibetan, at least a year, quite possibly longer.

Can anyone recommend any Dzogchen masters there, or in Nepal in general, who teach and are accessible to westerners?
Stewart

Re: Dzogchen teachers in Kathmandu

Post by Stewart »

dharmafootsteps wrote:I will soon be spending some time in Kathmandu learning Tibetan, at least a year, quite possibly longer.

Can anyone recommend any Dzogchen masters there, or in Nepal in general, who teach and are accessible to westerners?

Tulku Urgyen's two youngest sons, Mingyur and Tsoknyi Rinpoche, spend a fair bit of time in Nepal throughout the year. Both are excellent Dzogchen-Mahamudra teachers, who speak fluent English.
s.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

For Dzogchen in KTM, I highly recommend Golok Tulku Sangngak Tenzin. He lives in Sherpa Colony up Phulbari Rd. from Boudha, a little ways before you get to Tinchuli Chowk. Sherpa Colony is on the right side if you've going north. As far as I know, Dzogchen is the only thing He teaches. Sometimes He's also referred to as Dzogchen Tulku Sangngak Tenzin. His FB page is AH LA LA HO. He doesn't speak English (though He understands some), but His Sangyum speaks very good English.

Enjoy your time in KTM and be sure to wear a face-mask when you're traveling or walking by major roads.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
dharmafootsteps

Stewart wrote: Tulku Urgyen's two youngest sons, Mingyur and Tsoknyi Rinpoche, spend a fair bit of time in Nepal throughout the year. Both are excellent Dzogchen-Mahamudra teachers, who speak fluent English.
Great, I've read a few books by TUR and his sons, so that's good to know.
pemachophel wrote: For Dzogchen in KTM, I highly recommend Golok Tulku Sangngak Tenzin. He lives in Sherpa Colony up Phulbari Rd. from Boudha, a little ways before you get to Tinchuli Chowk. Sherpa Colony is on the right side if you've going north. As far as I know, Dzogchen is the only thing He teaches. Sometimes He's also referred to as Dzogchen Tulku Sangngak Tenzin. His FB page is AH LA LA HO. He doesn't speak English (though He understands some), but His Sangyum speaks very good English.

Enjoy your time in KTM and be sure to wear a face-mask when you're traveling or walking by major roads.
Fantastic, thank you, haven't come across him before.

Face-mask is on order!
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

dharmafootsteps wrote:
Stewart wrote: Face-mask is on order!
No need to order. They are in lots of shops.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
philji

Post by philji »

Dont forget Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, from Ka Nying Shedrub Ling in Boudha. He is the eldest son of TUR. Every November a seminar and retreat, usually based on dzogchen/ mahamudra instructions on recognizing nature of mind.
Re Tulku Sang ngak rinpoche, not sure if he is teaching right now but worth looking out for...usually on a sunday. Orning n his house.
dharmafootsteps

philji wrote:Dont forget Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, from Ka Nying Shedrub Ling in Boudha. He is the eldest son of TUR. Every November a seminar and retreat, usually based on dzogchen/ mahamudra instructions on recognizing nature of mind.
Re Tulku Sang ngak rinpoche, not sure if he is teaching right now but worth looking out for...usually on a sunday. Orning n his house.
Perfect, thank you. Looking forward to the trip even more now.
Manju

Post by Manju »

New:

Sangngak Tenzin Rinpoche meets students on appointment basis 3x/week.
Details on FB page AH LA HO, June 23rd.

:namaste:

Manju
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

I would recommend here, H.E. the Bön Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche.
He is the foremost senior Teacher in the Bön Tradition and the Lineage Holder of ZZNG Dzogchen.

http://www.triten.org/TR/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=56

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
Sweta

Post by Sweta »

I am also from Kathmandu but I am practising Buddhism in India =/
I am doing my very first Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro and i also want to go for Dzogchen teachings but I don't know where to go in Boudha. However i do plan to go Pharping for serious practice to do as much practice as i can before I go to England, I would recommend 'Pharping' for serious practitioners because it's the place where 'Guru Rinpoche' got enlightened and it's like Bodhgaya for Vajrayana practitioners.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Pharping is a must as a pilgrimage spot for Nyingmapas, but it's not that easy to find a good practice space there anymore. Too crowded and noisy, and too much truck traffic. Then again, if you're from Kathmandu, you may not notice these and it may seem like paradise.
Sweta

Post by Sweta »

I emailed a monastery named 'Dzogchen Monastery' for volunteering, i will volunteer and practice there (if i am lucky). I don't know much about Pharping, honestly i am confused and I don't know what to do.
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

Not everything shiny is gold, we like to say where I come from. If you are looking for dzogchen teaching, more than often you end up with a long boring talk, especially in Kathmandu. Look for wisdom, humbleness and compassion.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

To Sweta:

Since you sound sincere, I will offer you my two cents' worth of advice. Do your ngondro practice wholeheartedly, don't get discouraged, and things may work out for you. Not knowing what to do is nothing to be afraid of -- as a matter of fact,being too sure of yourself can be an obstacle.

I don't know anything about the organzation you have volunteered at, but do good work and keep your head about you, and the experience will not be wasted. Don't make serious commitments too casually. Feel free if you want to PM, though I may not reply quickly.
philji

Post by philji »

Toenail wrote:Not everything shiny is gold, we like to say where I come from. If you are looking for dzogchen teaching, more than often you end up with a long boring talk, especially in Kathmandu. Look for wisdom, humbleness and compassion.
I am wondering what wiuld classify as a long boring talk?
Unless i get direct introduction i want my money back kind of talk?
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

If there is no DI there is no Dzogchen. Also you dont really need to have realization to talk about Dzogchen, just read 3 books, you can have western students. That is unfortunetly the sad truth.

Return to “Dzogchen”