What attracted you to Dzogchen?

CedarTree

What attracted you to Dzogchen?

Post by CedarTree » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I am curious what attracted the followers to Dzogchen, and also why that school of practices over Mahamudra.

As someone that has been involved in Theravada (Thai Forest) and then Soto Zen (Kodo Sawaki lineage of Antaiji and Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery) I am curious what were points of interest and or things that you found very moving and meaningful in the tradition.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Virgo

Re: What attracted you to Dzogchen?

Post by Virgo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Initially I think it was my attraction to Padmasambhava, and also having heard of the special features of the Dzogchen path.

After that it was starting to realize that the man who became my master, Choegyal Namkhai Norbu, is a special kind of master. Everyone once and a while a master who is unbelievable comes around. This is Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. For example, he is a living master who had two of his Gurus attain Rainbow Body, he is a terton, treasure revealer, and has revealed pure visions. He is a student of many great masters, including the famous female Dzogchen practitioner Ayu Khandro. His uncles were great masters. His grandmother had pure visions. He is the incarnation of Adzom Drugpa a famous Dzogchen master who was head of State of Bhutan. But he was also raised as a tulku of Adzom Drugpa but in a Sakya monastery, so he has a very, very firm education in Dharma. He then went to go meet his tsawai lama the incomparable Chongchub Dorje who lived to a ridiculously old age, and who introduced him to the real meaning of Dzogchen, which changed Rinpoches life. He also recieved teaching from his other uncles, and many masters, and Dakinis.

Really, reading The Crystal and the Way of Light by Rinpoche, in which he relates these stories and others really impressed me.

But Dzogchen is not based on externals -- you do not have to be a scholar, or very well learned, like Rinpoche is, etc.

There are other great masters out there too.

There are great masters in the Mahamudra tradition too.

Really it depends on the students karma, nevertheless, one should try to seek out the most realized master one can find.

In essence I think the directness of Dzogchen is great, as well as the amount of methods one can use to work with body, speech, and mind.

You have a nice day.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPcu7F7gWg

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm

At first it was the sex in caves............... ;)

Many of the people I respect online were, and are, followers of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and were Dzogchen practitioners.

I had a particular recommendation to seek out Guru Dragphur practice but then also quickly realised that Dzogchen was a path I should explore.

So I spent some time observing ChNN and finaly received DI from him. The attraction of the path then became more focused and realistic.

So for me it was the master and his teachings rather than 'I must seek out a Dzogchen master'.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Specific teachers.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:18 am

trust

liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 am

tl:dr version: 'Dzogchen' is the first Tibetan word I'd learn lol :woohoo:
a chain of events in 2016 led me to Dzogchen,starting with a friend from China talking abt some shrinking body that does not decompose after death,and passing by a Dharma Centre called "The Great Perfection Pure Land Association" a few time(one time alleviating my ailment while attending an interview nearby the dharma centre),went ard different Tibetan Buddhism centre,ended up receiving DI from ChNNR in local DC(now defunct),now wandering ard looking for Dzogchen(and Vajrayana) teachings from various sources.

Strive

Post by Strive » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 am

it sounded easy but not true u have to practice

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Well i definitly didnt pick dzogchen OVER mahamudra nor the otherway arround. Its not loke they are exclusive

lee

Post by lee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Life events had brought me to the teachings, step by step something would take me deeper to a practice that would then lead me to this.

It also feels familiar to me in some way, it's not like im reading things an automatically tuning in but i feel it's just familiar in some way.

It's strange because i have a drawn feeling towards Namkhai Norbu's some rather than him, his some feels familiar, so maybe that's where it comes from. Who knows!

Iv had weird things happen after making process towards this teaching, iv seen rainbows either in memes, pictures being shared, on tv or in personal view. it's not like iv been looking for signs either, they seem to just happen after iv made progress into furthering my interest into the teachings, at the right moment kind of thing. and im not one for signs nor do i look for them, but the rainbows have caught my eye as they have happened so frequently.

MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:26 am

It had nothing whatsoever to do with being attracted to a tradition. It was more a karmic resonance. The very first Tibetan retreat I was ever on was dzogchen (with Nyoshul Khenpo and Sogyal Rinpoche) in 1985 (I used to think it was in 1984 but that was a miscalculation I think. It was possibly 1984 but I don't really think so anymore.)
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 pm

I actually wasn't initially attracted to Dzogchen, which I knew very little about when I began studying dharma. I was told by my guru at the time I would benefit from studying those teachings.

When I did look at them, though, their purity resonated.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Yogis with long hair and tertons are what magnetized me. :P
Go no paradigm! ;)

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 am

I was raised Christian but sometimes got into conflict with my doctrine professors because I was struggling with views that I later found out were Dzogchen. I later converted to Theravada, but to me it seemed nihilistic.

I am thankful to Loppon Namdrol and others at the former E-sangha who introduced me to Dzogchen and my teachers, HHDKR, HHDL, and in particular, master ChNN.
For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.
- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

CedarTree wrote:I am curious what attracted the followers to Dzogchen
The kindness of its practitioners.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Direct Introduction.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Past life traces.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Dzogchen gave the answer to the exact explanation of real emptiness and howe to pratice this / to be this.
Dzogchen was fast recognized as a valid awareness, to be "in" this Emptiness, based on recognition / reflection
Dzogchen was therefore richer for me than that which i have learned in other Tibetan Traditions.
Dzogchen is easy to understand and to practice, if the qualified Master is present.
The best meditation is no meditation

philji

Post by philji » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Malcolm wrote:Past life traces.
Exactly what I was thinking...although my traces were very minute...

dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:47 pm

ChNN

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm

I haven't learned it yet. I am excited about learning it because it has a reputation for being so powerful, and I really like the idea that I'm on a path with steps, and I can refine my practice over time.

Jake

Return to “Dzogchen”