reads on karma and transmigration

lee

reads on karma and transmigration

Post by lee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Any suggested reads on karma, transmigration and the three kayas, ranging from beginners to advanced reads to work my way up.

Thank you

diamind

Re: reads on karma and transmigration

Post by diamind » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm

lee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Hi everyone,

Any suggested reads on karma, transmigration and the three kayas, ranging from beginners to advanced reads to work my way up.

Thank you
Jakata Tales, Sutra of the Wise and Foolish, and Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom by Dudjom Rinpoche.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosha. Chapter Four is on Karma.

Punya

Post by Punya » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Finally, I would like to distinguish rebirth from transmigration. You may have noticed that in Buddhism, we consistently speak of rebirth and not transmigration. This is because in Buddhism we do not believe in an abiding entity, in a substance that trans-migrates. We do not believe in a self that is reborn. This is why when we explain rebirth, we make use of examples which do not require the transmigration of an essence or a substance.
http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud10.htm

A recommended text on karma is Karma: What It Is, What It Isn't, Why It Matters by Traleg Rinpoche.
Just as the trunk of an ordinary tree
Lying in the forests of the Malaya mountains
Absorbs the perfume of sandal from the moist leaves and branches
So you come to resemble who whomever you follow.

~Words of My Perfect Teacher

Josef

Post by Josef » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 pm

The sections on karma etc. in Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities are the best I have read.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Motova

Post by Motova » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am

Punya wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm
Finally, I would like to distinguish rebirth from transmigration. You may have noticed that in Buddhism, we consistently speak of rebirth and not transmigration. This is because in Buddhism we do not believe in an abiding entity, in a substance that trans-migrates. We do not believe in a self that is reborn. This is why when we explain rebirth, we make use of examples which do not require the transmigration of an essence or a substance.
http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud10.htm

A recommended text on karma is Karma: What It Is, What It Isn't, Why It Matters by Traleg Rinpoche.
I am reading this now, I'm only on chapter 2 though. It's very well written, insightful, and fun!

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 am

"Heartdrops of Dharmakaya" (although it does not directly discuss either karma or transmigration).

"Naked Awareness", Karma Chagme, Gyatrul Rinpoche

"Bardo Teachings: The Way Of Death And Rebirth", Lama Lodu, Kalu Rinpoche

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:26 pm

lee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Hi everyone,

Thank you
The Surangama Sutra has in general the material you are looking for, i believe.

In particular there is an explanation given by Buddhan himself -since the lecture is considered his- about the 31 planes of existence (this contains the 6 general groups of transmigration conditions, the realms) with the specific causes and conditions regarding each one.

The lecture is a bit heavy if you are not used to study dharma by yourself, but is totally a worth even if you would say you don't need it.