reads on karma and transmigration

lee

reads on karma and transmigration

Post by lee »

Hi everyone,

Any suggested reads on karma, transmigration and the three kayas, ranging from beginners to advanced reads to work my way up.

Thank you
diamind

Re: reads on karma and transmigration

Post by diamind »

lee wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm Hi everyone,

Any suggested reads on karma, transmigration and the three kayas, ranging from beginners to advanced reads to work my way up.

Thank you
Jakata Tales, Sutra of the Wise and Foolish, and Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom by Dudjom Rinpoche.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosha. Chapter Four is on Karma.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Finally, I would like to distinguish rebirth from transmigration. You may have noticed that in Buddhism, we consistently speak of rebirth and not transmigration. This is because in Buddhism we do not believe in an abiding entity, in a substance that trans-migrates. We do not believe in a self that is reborn. This is why when we explain rebirth, we make use of examples which do not require the transmigration of an essence or a substance.
http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud10.htm

A recommended text on karma is Karma: What It Is, What It Isn't, Why It Matters by Traleg Rinpoche.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

The sections on karma etc. in Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities are the best I have read.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Motova

Post by Motova »

Punya wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm
Finally, I would like to distinguish rebirth from transmigration. You may have noticed that in Buddhism, we consistently speak of rebirth and not transmigration. This is because in Buddhism we do not believe in an abiding entity, in a substance that trans-migrates. We do not believe in a self that is reborn. This is why when we explain rebirth, we make use of examples which do not require the transmigration of an essence or a substance.

A recommended text on karma is Karma: What It Is, What It Isn't, Why It Matters by Traleg Rinpoche.
I am reading this now, I'm only on chapter 2 though. It's very well written, insightful, and fun!
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

"Heartdrops of Dharmakaya" (although it does not directly discuss either karma or transmigration).

"Naked Awareness", Karma Chagme, Gyatrul Rinpoche

"Bardo Teachings: The Way Of Death And Rebirth", Lama Lodu, Kalu Rinpoche

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

lee wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm Hi everyone,

Thank you
The Surangama Sutra has in general the material you are looking for, i believe.

In particular there is an explanation given by Buddhan himself -since the lecture is considered his- about the 31 planes of existence (this contains the 6 general groups of transmigration conditions, the realms) with the specific causes and conditions regarding each one.

The lecture is a bit heavy if you are not used to study dharma by yourself, but is totally a worth even if you would say you don't need it.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

A very good sutra to read and recite as foundation is "Sūtra of the Path of the Ten Good Karmas". It explains that karma decides the form of beings and that it depends on the mind. It explains that understanding of karma and the 10 virtuous deeds is the foundation of higher practices. The sutra in English can be found in the link below.

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra27.html
Motova

Post by Motova »

Motova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am
Punya wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm

I am reading this now, I'm only on chapter 2 though. It's very well written, insightful, and fun!
I finished it and recommend it. It's a good introduction, but left me wanting more.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Dzogchen”