Question about transmission and pointing-out instructions

Rick

Question about transmission and pointing-out instructions

Post by Rick »

This might be a ridiculously naive question (seems to be my specialty) but here goes:

Can one receive formal transmissions and pointing-out instructions from a qualified teacher remotely, over an electronic medium such as Skype?

If not ... are people who cannot travel to the teacher's actual location flat out of luck (in this lifetime)?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Virgo

Re: Question about transmission and pointing-out instructions

Post by Virgo »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm Can one receive formal transmissions and pointing-out instructions from a qualified teacher remotely, over an electronic medium such as Skype?

Absolutely, without a doubt.

Kevin
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm This might be a ridiculously naive question (seems to be my specialty) but here goes:

Can one receive formal transmissions and pointing-out instructions from a qualified teacher remotely, over an electronic medium such as Skype?

If not ... are people who cannot travel to the teacher's actual location flat out of luck (in this lifetime)?
Yes.
Rick

Post by Rick »

An Absolutely Yes! and an unequivocal No (to being able to receive remote transmissions) from two very experienced practitioners!

Anyone else wanna weigh in?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:10 pm An Absolutely Yes! and an unequivocal No (to being able to receive remote transmissions) from two very experienced practitioners!

Anyone else wanna weigh in?
Who told you no?

Virgo
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think the problem Rick is in the way you posed the question. Malcolm was saying 'yes ' to the first part. Not the second part. ie. Yes, you can receive transmission that way.
Last edited by Simon E. on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Yes, I think Malcolm was saying yes, he just quoted the whole post.

Kevin
Rick

Post by Rick »

I dunno guys ... Malcolm is a master at delivering uni-syllabic bad news. ;-)

Malcolm ... did your Yes mean "Yes yer flat out of luck in this lifetime" or "Yes transmissions can be delivered remotely via Skype?"
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Rick, a number of teachers give transmission and empowerment remotely, I don't think it's a big question for that many people on here, especially because many here are students of ChNN, Garchen Rinpoche, and others who give online transmissions.

A more controversial proposition is whether there is transmission through recordings, as to whether or not transmission is possible over the medium, I don't think you'll see too many overt "no's" here. That said, it's always worth going in person whenever possible, obviously.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Rick

Post by Rick »

Aha. Okay, good to know. Thanks everyone!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

PS, if it helps.. I consider ChNN my root teacher, despite the fact i've never met him, and might not ever. I have had lots of other (mostly in person) teachings and teachers that I also consider quite precious, but no one else has had the same impact, or resolved doubts the way he has.

From my point of view how a teacher impacts you is more important than your official relationship, or having some kind of official credential, though of course it's also worth making the effort to meet in person. I hate to sound cliche but once you find the person that turns on the light bulb for you in a dark room, even for the briefest moment, then they are your teacher......it's easy to get impostor syndrome on the assumption that you need to be drawing your teacher's bath everyday or something to be his student, but I don't think it works like that.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Actually, there are teachers ( and ChNN is not one of them) who function better as your teacher if you DONT meet them in person. Some highly realised people can act like asses. I knew one such.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Rick

Post by Rick »

A psychotherapist friend who has a deep background in Zen said he's come to believe after decades of work with Buddhist practitioners that spiritual health and psychological health are really quite different, that one doesn't at all necessarily follow the other. In particular, he thinks, people who follow an inward-looking path such as Buddhism are susceptible to anger issues.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm A psychotherapist friend who has a deep background in Zen said he's come to believe after decades of work with Buddhist practitioners that spiritual health and psychological health are really quite different, that one doesn't at all necessarily follow the other. In particular, he thinks, people who follow an inward-looking path such as Buddhism are susceptible to anger issues.
i can believe that, up to a point at least.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Rick, I believe you feel a connection with Anam Thubten. If you become a member of the Dharmata Foundation you can participate in his live broadcasts, which take place about twice a month. Why don't you try that and see what your experience is like?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 pm "Yes transmissions can be delivered remotely via Skype?"
Yes.
Rick

Post by Rick »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm Rick, I believe you feel a connection with Anam Thubten. If you become a member of the Dharmata Foundation you can participate in his live broadcasts, which take place about twice a month. Why don't you try that and see what your experience is like?
Yes, I consider him to be my root teacher, did two retreats under him, belong(ed) to a local sangha with him as the root teacher.

Great idea! Does he ever give pointing out instructions and/or transmissions in these live broadcast talks?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm Rick, I believe you feel a connection with Anam Thubten. If you become a member of the Dharmata Foundation you can participate in his live broadcasts, which take place about twice a month. Why don't you try that and see what your experience is like?
Yes, I consider him to be my root teacher, did two retreats under him, belong(ed) to a local sangha with him as the root teacher.

Great idea! Does he ever give pointing out instructions and/or transmissions in these live broadcast talks?

Well, I think the whole thing is always pointing out and transmission. Anyway, why not give it a try and see for yourself?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Punya

Post by Punya »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm This might be a ridiculously naive question (seems to be my specialty) but here goes:

A rather longer discussion about your question viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16286
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm A psychotherapist friend who has a deep background in Zen said he's come to believe after decades of work with Buddhist practitioners that spiritual health and psychological health are really quite different, that one doesn't at all necessarily follow the other. In particular, he thinks, people who follow an inward-looking path such as Buddhism are susceptible to anger issues.
Interesting.
Why anger specifically? (or is it anger specifically?)
Any theories?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa

Return to “Dzogchen”