Question about transmission and pointing-out instructions

Rick

Re: Question about transmission and pointing-out instructions

Post by Rick »

climb-up wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pmInteresting.
Why anger specifically? (or is it anger specifically?)
Any theories?
I think Marv would say that it's because we live in a culture in which expressing anger is kind of a taboo ... which is why you end up with desperate expressions of bottled-up anger like road rage, school shootings, Trump (and associate) bullying, qualified masters who act like idjits, etc.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm
climb-up wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pmInteresting.
Why anger specifically? (or is it anger specifically?)
Any theories?
I think Marv would say that it's because we live in a culture in which expressing anger is kind of a taboo ... which is why you end up with desperate expressions of bottled-up anger like road rage, school shootings, Trump (and associate) bullying, qualified masters who act like idjits, etc.
Very interesting.
Thank you.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Rick

Post by Rick »

He told me he once gave a talk at a Buddhist conference about the danger of repressed anger in Buddhism and he met with lots of resistance from Buddhist practitioners. On the one hand I get it ... Buddhism has its own prescriptions for how to deal with anger and they seemed to have worked quite well for the last few thousand years. Otoh, the hostility of some of the responses kind of proved his point, I think.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Rick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:25 pm He told me he once gave a talk at a Buddhist conference about the danger of repressed anger in Buddhism and he met with lots of resistance from Buddhist practitioners.
lol, I bet!
On the one hand I get it ... Buddhism has its own prescriptions for how to deal with anger and they seemed to have worked quite well for the last few thousand years.
Allegedly!
Coming back to this I find it more and more potentially disturbing. Definitely something to be mindful of!!!
Otoh, the hostility of some of the responses kind of proved his point, I think.
LMAO! :rolling:
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm A psychotherapist friend who has a deep background in Zen said he's come to believe after decades of work with Buddhist practitioners that spiritual health and psychological health are really quite different, that one doesn't at all necessarily follow the other. In particular, he thinks, people who follow an inward-looking path such as Buddhism are susceptible to anger issues.
I'm absolutely furious that you would make such a scurrilous suggestion! Schocking!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Rick

Post by Rick »

Yes, yes ... the rage is clearly lurking just behind that (apparently) innocent smile.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I know Buddhists who are adept at expressing anger, and not repressing it. It passes, like everything else. I suppose repression is an issue for many Western practitioners, and maybe for others as well, I can't say. I wonder what sorts of emotional suppression psychotherapists feel they are susceptible to?? :shrug: None, I guess?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

topic on mental health split to new thread.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm A psychotherapist friend who has a deep background in Zen said he's come to believe after decades of work with Buddhist practitioners that spiritual health and psychological health are really quite different, that one doesn't at all necessarily follow the other. In particular, he thinks, people who follow an inward-looking path such as Buddhism are susceptible to anger issues.
They are different. Psychological health is rooted in the status quo, its to help you adjust to societies demands and expectations. Spiritual health on the other hand could look like a total renunciation and rejection of that status quo and appear to be very unhealthy from an external perspective. Or not, the two can merge in all kinds of ways, especially in the Vajrayana where lay life and being a householder is very common.

I could see the anger because anger stems from frustration, and whats more frustrating than all the sentient beings suffering in the cycle of Samsara, drowning in ignorance? One is virtually entirely powerless to do anything about it, and even the greatest most herculean efforts in Dharma and yoga feel like a drop in the bucket next to the sufferings of existence.

Return to “Dzogchen”