Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by CedarTree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Great Chogyal Namkhai Norbu dharma talks and what are everyones favorite books writings? and why?

links if possible for dharma talks :)

Practice, Practice, Practice

Norwegian
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Norwegian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm

The only books that are necessary to mention on a public forum are his public books. And as such I think "The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra, and Dzogchen" is well worth a mention. Very good book that goes to the essence of the teachings.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28278
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Malcolm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm
Great Chogyal Namkhai Norbu dharma talks and what are everyones favorite books writings? and why?

links if possible for dharma talks :)
The books Norbu Rinpoche wrote that had the greatest impact on me personally were the Song of the Vajra commentary, the Precious Vase, and Crystal.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by CedarTree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm
The only books that are necessary to mention on a public forum are his public books. And as such I think "The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra, and Dzogchen" is well worth a mention. Very good book that goes to the essence of the teachings.
Thanks for the recommend, I saw "Supreme Happiness" or something along those lines around. Your view on it?
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm
Great Chogyal Namkhai Norbu dharma talks and what are everyones favorite books writings? and why?

links if possible for dharma talks :)
The books Norbu Rinpoche wrote that had the greatest impact on me personally were the Song of the Vajra commentary, the Precious Vase, and Crystal.
Nice, why those ones Malcolm?

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28278
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Malcolm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Nice, why those ones Malcolm?
Read them and find out.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by CedarTree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Nice, why those ones Malcolm?
Read them and find out.
I think I will ;)

hah but I am curious what it meant and added to your understanding/practice/framework personally. I appreciate your contributions and what you bring to the table and broadening and deepening my understanding of you I think is a good thing :)

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Virgo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I recommend the same books. :)

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །


http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by CedarTree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm
I recommend the same books. :)

Kevin
Why for you ;)

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Virgo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm
Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm
I recommend the same books. :)

Kevin
Why for you ;)
Crytsal, in particular, can open your eyes to a whole other world.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །


http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:10 am

Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm
Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm
I recommend the same books. :)

Kevin
Why for you ;)
Crytsal, in particular, can open your eyes to a whole other world.

Kevin
Absolutely! That's how it felt for me, too.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 am

Crystal and the Way of Light, and Dzogchen: The Self Perfected State.

If you actually takes transmission, lots of other stuff to read, the Guru Yoga book is indispensable.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

amanitamusc
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 am

I agree with Malcolm's list especially Sov . If you read it closely you can find the key.

User avatar
Quay
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Quay » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm
The books Norbu Rinpoche wrote that had the greatest impact on me personally were the Song of the Vajra commentary, the Precious Vase, and Crystal.
Other than what's in the editor's note in the 2000 version of Crystal, are there any other differences between that Snow Lion version and the original 1986 Routledge or later Arkana versions a person should know about?
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Virgo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 am

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm
links if possible for dharma talks :)
I like the advice that the master gives here:



Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །


http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Mantrik » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am

I find they knit together.
Song of the Vajra Book, Thun and Ganapuja book (the latest), and some of the deity practice books - you find valuable nuggets in each of them which can be applied across the board.
Precious Vase, though, must be the trunk of this particular tree and the only one I would class as indispensable.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm

dharma gift verses contained in the chöd practice
that's the most amazing to me
Identities are false and not true

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Quay wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm
The books Norbu Rinpoche wrote that had the greatest impact on me personally were the Song of the Vajra commentary, the Precious Vase, and Crystal.
Other than what's in the editor's note in the 2000 version of Crystal, are there any other differences between that Snow Lion version and the original 1986 Routledge or later Arkana versions a person should know about?

I don't have my books handy but if I recall correctly the Routledge edition contains some photos of ChNN doing yogic postures, which I think are from the longde, that are not included in the Snow Lion edition. I haven't seen the Arkana version. I also seem to remember that there is a lengthy footnote in the Snow Lion edition clarifying something or other based on something that was pointed out by Elias Capriles.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am
Thun and Ganapuja book (the latest)
Would that be this one? Does it cover everything found in the Ganapuja book?

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by CedarTree » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm
Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm
I recommend the same books. :)

Kevin
Why for you ;)
Crytsal, in particular, can open your eyes to a whole other world.

Kevin
Details!

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu books and so forth?

Post by Virgo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm

CedarTree wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:58 pm
Virgo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm
Crytsal, in particular, can open your eyes to a whole other world.

Kevin
Details!
Lol, you'll just have to read it. There are lots of great stories, and it is freakin' amazing.

Virgo
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །


http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Inge, Meido, ratna and 77 guests