Pointing out only 3 times?

DannyDevitoFan

Pointing out only 3 times?

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

I recently read a teaching from a well respected teacher of dzogchen that states that a guru can only attempt to point out the nature of mind to a given disciple three times. Can anyone shed some light on why this teacher makes this claim? Have I misunderstood something?
Last edited by DannyDevitoFan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Re: Pointing out only 3 times?

Post by Virgo »

I dont know. I have never heard that before. All of my teachers have tried to point out the nature of mind to the disciples over and over again many times.

Kevin
heart

Post by heart »

csmorg96 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:23 am I recently read a teaching from a well respected teacher of dzogchen that states that a guru can only attempt to point out the nature of mind to a given disciple three times. Can anyone shed some light on why this teacher makes this claim? Have I misunderstood something?
Who is the teacher? Could be a misunderstanding of the translator perhaps.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
DannyDevitoFan

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

heart wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 am
csmorg96 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:23 am I recently read a teaching from a well respected teacher of dzogchen that states that a guru can only attempt to point out the nature of mind to a given disciple three times. Can anyone shed some light on why this teacher makes this claim? Have I misunderstood something?

/magnus

I could PM you the teacher's name, but regardless, this teacher speaks perfect English.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

csmorg96 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 pm

/magnus

I could PM you the teacher's name, but regardless, this teacher speaks perfect English.
But why would the teacher's name be a secret? Unless it is information protected by samaya or something like that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Really, what is the book in which this claim was made?
heart

Post by heart »

csmorg96 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 pm

/magnus

Yes, please I never heard that before.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
fckw

Post by fckw »

It's the infamous three-strikes rule of Dzogchen. If you did not get it after the third time, you're forever-ever-ever lost. Sorry. Only thing left to you is go practice Mahamudra. Doesn't apply there.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

wahp wahp wahp
down to the minor leagues of Mahamudra

:tongue:
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

I’m still batting .476 there.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Could it possibly have been a reference to the three different ways of direct introduction; oral, symbolic and direct?
...just a guess.

What does the teacher say will happen after the third time, if not fully successful (which, btw, another dharma wheel thread promises me it literally always is)?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa

Return to “Dzogchen”