Alan Wallace DZ related Q&A

smcj

Alan Wallace DZ related Q&A

Post by smcj » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 am

Interesting DZ related Q&A. In his second answer he talks about A common DW topic; how to verify rebirth.

https://youtu.be/e8M7cADCPZ8

Just thought I’d share.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

Spelare

Re: Alan Wallace DZ related Q&A

Post by Spelare » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm

I enjoy listening to his teachings. Instead of the usual vajrayana ngöndro that culminates in guruyoga, he has people cultivate shamatha, the four close applications of mindfulness, and the four immeasurables. He says that this approach is more suitable for many people, and he cites traditional lamas who approve of it. He is fully authorized to teach by Gyatrul Rinpoche.

Wallace's guided meditations start with ordinary shamatha & vipashyana, and then present them in the light of dzogchen. He strikes me as a self-deprecating stickler for tradition, full of interesting digressions and with an engaging sense of humor. His monastic training was under the Dalai Lama's supervision, but that doesn't mean his perspective is particularly Gelug. He has also trained extensively with Nyingma lamas and some Sakya as well.

I am attending his upcoming January 7-12 retreat in Santa Barbara on Dudjom Lingpa's Buddhahood Without Meditation (Part 2), a text he recently translated. He says anyone who did not attend Part 1 last year but who purchases and works through last year's recording can attend. If you request it, they will send you the mp3 files to download so you can get started sooner.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 am

Spelare wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm
I am attending his upcoming January 7-12 retreat in Santa Barbara on Dudjom Lingpa's Buddhahood Without Meditation (Part 2), a text he recently translated. He says anyone who did not attend Part 1 last year but who purchases and works through last year's recording can attend. If you request it, they will send you the mp3 files to download so you can get started sooner.

Here is the link to the restricted (Part 1) from Wisdom.

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/academy/co ... zogchen-1/

And, part two, Buddhahood Without Meditation, will be available. See here:

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/academy/co ... zogchen-2/

the video in the link above introducing the course is worth a listen.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 am

Spelare wrote:
I enjoy listening to his teachings. Instead of the usual vajrayana ngöndro that culminates in guruyoga, he has people cultivate shamatha, the four close applications of mindfulness, and the four immeasurables. He says that this approach is more suitable for many people, and he cites traditional lamas who approve of it. He is fully authorized to teach by Gyatrul Rinpoche.

Wallace's guided meditations start with ordinary shamatha & vipashyana, and then present them in the light of dzogchen. He strikes me as a self-deprecating stickler for tradition, full of interesting digressions and with an engaging sense of humor. His monastic training was under the Dalai Lama's supervision, but that doesn't mean his perspective is particularly Gelug. He has also trained extensively with Nyingma lamas and some Sakya as well.

Wait.. it seems like an online course... but you're attending in person? :shrug:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:50 am

Adamantine wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 am
Spelare wrote:

Wait.. it seems like an online course... but you're attending in person? :shrug:
No, I am working through the recordings for Part 1 of an in-person retreat that happened last year but which I was unable to attend. This fulfills the prerequisite for me to attend Part 2 this year. I think the links Tom posted might be to something different, as Wallace also periodically offers online courses.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 am

Who is allan wallace root guru?
Identities are false and not true

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Spelare wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:50 am
Adamantine wrote:
Spelare wrote:

No, I am working through the recordings for Part 1 of an in-person retreat that happened last year but which I was unable to attend. This fulfills the prerequisite for me to attend Part 2 this year. I think the links Tom posted might be to something different, as Wallace also periodically offers online courses.
Can you share the link to the in-person retreat?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 am
HHDL is his root guru. His main dzogchrn guru is gyatrul rimpoche

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Ok i understand
Identities are false and not true

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:00 pm
Can you share the link to the in-person retreat?
http://www.sbinstitute.com/node/2046

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Spelare wrote:

Apologies for the confusion... the links I included are the recordings from Alan's 2-month in-depth restricted retreats. You can also attend these in person if you wish.

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 pm

TaTa wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 am
HHDL is his root guru. His main dzogchrn guru is gyatrul rimpoche
His root Guru was Geshe Rabten at Dharamsala and Tharpa Choeling, Rikon CH. The Dalai Lama ordained Alan.
http://www.alanwallace.org/

Rick

Post by Rick » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm

For those of you who are not familiar with Alan, I'm fresh off (well, actually, still on) his recent Meditation in Dzogchen online course, in which there are many hours of video teachings from him. He is extraordinarily lucid, imo, sharp as a knife. And has attitude fer sure! A wicked sense of humor which kind of suffuses his offerings, a vast amount of knowledge and experience, and is afaict a true Buddhist through and through. (Though he openly denies being a Tibetan Buddhist, because he feels that despite having lived with/around Tibetans for 40+ years, he did not grow up in that culture.)

All in all: I highly recommend him. The Wisdom Academy course was not cheap ($200 for 10 weeks), but SO worth it.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Pero

Post by Pero » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:19 pm

I quite like him but am wondering about something. Does he give transmissions of lung for these texts? It's unclear to me how one can follow these courses since traditionally I imagine one would need the lung (at least) for the texts? Can't find anything about that on the Wisdom pages. :shrug:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

heart

Post by heart » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Pero wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:19 pm
I quite like him but am wondering about something. Does he give transmissions of lung for these texts? It's unclear to me how one can follow these courses since traditionally I imagine one would need the lung (at least) for the texts? Can't find anything about that on the Wisdom pages. :shrug:
good question :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

ratna

Post by ratna » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 pm

His teachings are trilungs, i.e. reading transmission interspersed with oral commentary, using his own translations.
I've not attended in person but have listened to some of his retreats that are available for free as podcasts.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm

ratna wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 pm
His teachings are trilungs, i.e. reading transmission interspersed with oral commentary, using his own translations.
I've not attended in person but have listened to some of his retreats that are available for free as podcasts.
Can't get a lung from a recording...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

heart

Post by heart » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm

ratna wrote:
Ok, meaning you have catch them live.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

ratna

Post by ratna » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm
ratna wrote:
Can't get a lung from a recording...
Oh, I agree. I just meant his format of teaching is such that it includes the full reading of the texts he teaches, so that one receives the transmission if one attends in person. I'm not sure what his own position on recorded oral transmissions is.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm

ratna wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 pm
I just meant his format of teaching is such that it includes the full reading of the texts he teaches, so that one receives the transmission if one attends in person.
Ok.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Return to “Dzogchen”