ChNN teaching retreat & webcast this week - help

meepits

ChNN teaching retreat & webcast this week - help

Post by meepits »

Hello friends,

I live in the northwest and practice dzogchen with a dharma center in Portland. I’ve been reading ChNN for awhile and looking forward to receiving direct transmission via webcast sometime. Unfortunately I’m back east in the middle of nowhere visiting family for the holidays, and I see there’s an ati yoga teaching / webcast just announced for this week, starting tomorrow (12/28). So I don’t have any chance of contacting a local gar and practicing that way, nor do I own Norbu’s guruyoga book. Will he explain the practice of receiving direct transmission during the webcast, or will I need the book to understand what I have to do (in which case I’m SOL)? Any help would be very much appreciated.
florin

Re: ChNN teaching retreat & webcast this week - help

Post by florin »

meepits wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm Hello friends,

I live in the northwest and practice dzogchen with a dharma center in Portland. I’ve been reading ChNN for awhile and looking forward to receiving direct transmission via webcast sometime. Unfortunately I’m back east in the middle of nowhere visiting family for the holidays, and I see there’s an ati yoga teaching / webcast just announced for this week, starting tomorrow (12/28). So I don’t have any chance of contacting a local gar and practicing that way, nor do I own Norbu’s guruyoga book. Will he explain the practice of receiving direct transmission during the webcast, or will I need the book to understand what I have to do (in which case I’m SOL)? Any help would be very much appreciated.
He usually explains details with every webcast, how and what to visualize and what everything means.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

The first one I did someone gave me a PDF of the practices for the worldwide transmission anniversaries. Not sure if that was kosher or not, the best thing is to get the Guru Yoga book. I seem to remember recently that people might be able to purchase it prior to transmission for just this reason...anyone know/remember?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:00 pm The first one I did someone gave me a PDF of the practices for the worldwide transmission anniversaries. Not sure if that was kosher or not, the best thing is to get the Guru Yoga book. I seem to remember recently that people might be able to purchase it prior to transmission for just this reason...anyone know/remember?
I was given a pdf too, but that is only for the world-wide transmission as far as I know. If one gets the Guruyoga book they could only read the pages that explain the world-wide transmission they are going to attend.

For retreats it seems there is no need for any preparation.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:24 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:00 pm The first one I did someone gave me a PDF of the practices for the worldwide transmission anniversaries. Not sure if that was kosher or not, the best thing is to get the Guru Yoga book. I seem to remember recently that people might be able to purchase it prior to transmission for just this reason...anyone know/remember?
I was given a pdf too, but that is only for the world-wide transmission as far as I know. If one gets the Guruyoga book they could only read the pages that explain the world-wide transmission they are going to attend.

I'd just assumed it would be one of those practices for the transmission, good to know.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

You don't need that book for this. This is a teaching retreat. In every retreat no matter what it is, Rinpoche always gives direct introduction, but it doesn't have to be in a particularly elaborate way or anything. It can be very unelaborate too.

Just listen and pay attention to Rinpoche's teachings, and if you're instructed to do something, then do that.
florin

Post by florin »

You can read the entire book without any problem.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

florin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

I meant read only the preparation parts before receiving the world-wide transmission. Afterwards you can read the rest too of course.
florin

Post by florin »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I meant read only the preparation parts before receiving the world-wide transmission. Afterwards you can read the rest too of course.
And i meant you can read the entire book even before the transmission, as long as you are serious about participating in the transmission so you can familiarize yourself a little bit with the ideas that are discussed during the explanation and initiation.
Of course, there are other things that you shouldn't read about before an initiation but that is not the case here.
meepits

Post by meepits »

Thanks folks. I know for certain that other people have asked this exact question on dharmawheel in years past, but something made me wonder whether anything had changed. I really appreciate the clear, simple answers from you all.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

florin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 pm

And i meant you can read the entire book even before the transmission, as long as you are serious about participating in the transmission so you can familiarize yourself a little bit with the ideas that are discussed during the explanation and initiation.
Of course, there are other things that you shouldn't read about before an initiation but that is not the case here.
That could be the case I suppose. But the exact words in the book itself are that it is meant for those who have 'already received the transmission'.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:28 pm
florin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 pm

That could be the case I suppose. But the exact words in the book itself are that it is meant for those who have 'already received the transmission'.
And that is correct.

Return to “Dzogchen”