Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post Reply
User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Fa Dao » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 pm

In the Longde Vajra bridge does anyone know if they used rushens and semdzins? And if so were they the same or different as the ones more commonly used?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 pm
In the Longde Vajra bridge does anyone know if they used rushens and semdzins? And if so were they the same or different as the ones more commonly used?
They do not.

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Fa Dao » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Interesting....Thanks Malcolm! So no prelims...they would just jump right in with Anuyoga style Ngondzog Gyalpo and 4 Da?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

florin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by florin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Interesting....Thanks Malcolm! So no prelims...they would just jump right in with Anuyoga style Ngondzog Gyalpo and 4 Da?

But if you do SMS program you would do lots of preliminaries before getting at the longde level isn't it ?
“The path of the supreme yoga it is not the path of accomplished sages of the past. Whoever enters onto the path of the sages of the past will end up gripped by the sicknesses of the path - meditation, attachment, and exertion.”Thig le drug pa.

“Everything of the universe of saṃsāra and nirvāṇa arises as the enlightened energy of the one self-perfected Natural Presence. But these teachers still mistakenly teach that disciples should fabricate enlightenment by applying discipline, renunciation, interruption, purification and transformation”.

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Interesting....Thanks Malcolm! So no prelims...they would just jump right in with Anuyoga style Ngondzog Gyalpo and 4 Da?
So it seems.

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm

florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Interesting....Thanks Malcolm! So no prelims...they would just jump right in with Anuyoga style Ngondzog Gyalpo and 4 Da?

But if you do SMS program you would do lots of preliminaries before getting at the longde level isn't it ?
Each level has its prelims and main practice.

florin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by florin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm
florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Interesting....Thanks Malcolm! So no prelims...they would just jump right in with Anuyoga style Ngondzog Gyalpo and 4 Da?

But if you do SMS program you would do lots of preliminaries before getting at the longde level isn't it ?
Each level has its prelims and main practice.
Yes that is what i meant more or less.
I could be wrong but in my understanding, the view of CNNR when it comes to longde about when and in what circumstances we should praxtice it, assumes that we have tried lots of preliminaries and variety of practices that develop capacity for contemplation had some experiences developed some unerstanding yet we are still uncertain about our real nature.
“The path of the supreme yoga it is not the path of accomplished sages of the past. Whoever enters onto the path of the sages of the past will end up gripped by the sicknesses of the path - meditation, attachment, and exertion.”Thig le drug pa.

“Everything of the universe of saṃsāra and nirvāṇa arises as the enlightened energy of the one self-perfected Natural Presence. But these teachers still mistakenly teach that disciples should fabricate enlightenment by applying discipline, renunciation, interruption, purification and transformation”.

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 pm

florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm
florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm



But if you do SMS program you would do lots of preliminaries before getting at the longde level isn't it ?
Each level has its prelims and main practice.
Yes that is what i meant more or less.
I could be wrong but in my understanding, the view of CNNR when it comes to longde about when and in what circumstances we should praxtice it, assumes that we have tried lots of preliminaries and variety of practices that develop capacity for contemplation had some experiences developed some unerstanding yet we are still uncertain about our real nature.

That is due to ChNN's unique understanding of the relationship between the three statements and the three series. But the three statements of Garab Dorje as well as the three series found in the Nyinthig would have been unknown to Pang Mipham Gonpo, the two Dzengs, and so on. The Vajra Bridge literature does talk about three series, but they are sūtra, tantra, and ati; not sems, klong, and man ngag lde.

florin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by florin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 pm
florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm


Each level has its prelims and main practice.
Yes that is what i meant more or less.
I could be wrong but in my understanding, the view of CNNR when it comes to longde about when and in what circumstances we should praxtice it, assumes that we have tried lots of preliminaries and variety of practices that develop capacity for contemplation had some experiences developed some unerstanding yet we are still uncertain about our real nature.

That is due to ChNN's unique understanding of the relationship between the three statements and the three series. But the three statements of Garab Dorje as well as the three series found in the Nyinthig would have been unknown to Pang Mipham Gonpo, the two Dzengs, and so on. The Vajra Bridge literature does talk about three series, but they are sūtra, tantra, and ati; not sems, klong, and man ngag lde.
Of course.
But are you suggesting that longde can still be seen as an independent path that starts with longde and finishes with longde, and is totally separate, independent from any preliminaries or practices that we may think it should precede the main practice ?
“The path of the supreme yoga it is not the path of accomplished sages of the past. Whoever enters onto the path of the sages of the past will end up gripped by the sicknesses of the path - meditation, attachment, and exertion.”Thig le drug pa.

“Everything of the universe of saṃsāra and nirvāṇa arises as the enlightened energy of the one self-perfected Natural Presence. But these teachers still mistakenly teach that disciples should fabricate enlightenment by applying discipline, renunciation, interruption, purification and transformation”.

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm

florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 pm

But are you suggesting that longde can still be seen as an independent path that starts with longde and finishes with longde, and is totally separate, independent from any preliminaries or practices that we may think it should precede the main practice ?
Yes. The Vajra Bridge makes it pretty clear that this is the case.

climb-up
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by climb-up » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 pm
florin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm


Each level has its prelims and main practice.
Yes that is what i meant more or less.
I could be wrong but in my understanding, the view of CNNR when it comes to longde about when and in what circumstances we should praxtice it, assumes that we have tried lots of preliminaries and variety of practices that develop capacity for contemplation had some experiences developed some unerstanding yet we are still uncertain about our real nature.

That is due to ChNN's unique understanding of the relationship between the three statements and the three series. But the three statements of Garab Dorje as well as the three series found in the Nyinthig would have been unknown to Pang Mipham Gonpo, the two Dzengs, and so on. The Vajra Bridge literature does talk about three series, but they are sūtra, tantra, and ati; not sems, klong, and man ngag lde.
I don't have transmissions for Longde (I am correct that it requires it's own specific transmission, right?), but I am curious about this:
If ChNN's understanding of a teaching (longde in this case) is unique and not the same as generally taught or practiced it would seem that students of ChNN would practice according to his understanding. Is that correct or, having received transmission, are students free to investigate others understandings and come to their own conclusions?

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 pm

climb-up wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

I don't have transmissions for Longde (I am correct that it requires it's own specific transmission, right?), but I am curious about this:
If ChNN's understanding of a teaching (longde in this case) is unique and not the same as generally taught or practiced it would seem that students of ChNN would practice according to his understanding. Is that correct or, having received transmission, are students free to investigate others understandings and come to their own conclusions?
Well, apart from ChNN, no Tibetan teachers actually teach sems sde and klong sde in the west. So it is all kind of a moot point.

climb-up
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by climb-up » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 pm
climb-up wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

I don't have transmissions for Longde (I am correct that it requires it's own specific transmission, right?), but I am curious about this:
If ChNN's understanding of a teaching (longde in this case) is unique and not the same as generally taught or practiced it would seem that students of ChNN would practice according to his understanding. Is that correct or, having received transmission, are students free to investigate others understandings and come to their own conclusions?
Well, apart from ChNN, no Tibetan teachers actually teach sems sde and klong sde in the west. So it is all kind of a moot point.
Oh, yes I guess it is then.
And it does need specific transmission right? Is it only given in SMS trainings?

Malcolm
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm

climb-up wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 pm
climb-up wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

I don't have transmissions for Longde (I am correct that it requires it's own specific transmission, right?), but I am curious about this:
If ChNN's understanding of a teaching (longde in this case) is unique and not the same as generally taught or practiced it would seem that students of ChNN would practice according to his understanding. Is that correct or, having received transmission, are students free to investigate others understandings and come to their own conclusions?
Well, apart from ChNN, no Tibetan teachers actually teach sems sde and klong sde in the west. So it is all kind of a moot point.
Oh, yes I guess it is then.
And it does need specific transmission right? Is it only given in SMS trainings?

ChNN gives Longde regularly, usually once a year or so.

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Fa Dao » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

From the Mirror:
China, Yichun, Jiangxi Province
October 4 – 8, 2018
Samtengar Retreat of Longsal Longde

Unfortunately I dont know if it will be webcast or not...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Norwegian
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm
climb-up wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 pm


Well, apart from ChNN, no Tibetan teachers actually teach sems sde and klong sde in the west. So it is all kind of a moot point.
Oh, yes I guess it is then.
And it does need specific transmission right? Is it only given in SMS trainings?

ChNN gives Longde regularly, usually once a year or so.
And this year's Longde retreat by ChNN is here:

China, Yichun, Jiangxi Province
October 4 – 8, 2018
Samtengar Retreat of Longsal Longde
"Ask the Ācārya" (Have questions you want to ask Malcolm?) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/387338435166650/

Norwegian
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm
From the Mirror:
China, Yichun, Jiangxi Province
October 4 – 8, 2018
Samtengar Retreat of Longsal Longde

Unfortunately I dont know if it will be webcast or not...
If it is then I think it will be closed webcast like it's been before.
"Ask the Ācārya" (Have questions you want to ask Malcolm?) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/387338435166650/

climb-up
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by climb-up » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 am

Yay, thanks!:)
Clsoed webcast jsut means member only right?
My membership is currently lapsed (life + kids =expensive), but I fully intended to renew it this year anyways.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:11 am

Is difficult to get at samtengar?
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."


Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

amanitamusc
Posts: 1503
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Longde/Vajra bridge rushens and semdzins

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 am

Norwegian wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm
From the Mirror:
China, Yichun, Jiangxi Province
October 4 – 8, 2018
Samtengar Retreat of Longsal Longde

Unfortunately I dont know if it will be webcast or not...
If it is then I think it will be closed webcast like it's been before.
Was the 12\05-1\06 Longde retreat an open webcast.

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buddhagirl, Leif and 75 guests