The regenerative potential of primordial state

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: The regenerative potential of primordial state

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

climb-up wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 pm intentions can be pure, bad or mixed.
Yes.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm
cloudburst wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Ye shes is a quality of rig pa.
Thank you.

Further, can one manifest yeshe without manifesting rigpa?
What is it a about rigpa that is not captured by the term 'yeshe'?
In answer to question one, Rig pa is the means by which ye shes "manifests", though in Dzogchen it is a little strange to parse it that way. Basically, the basis is considered to be ye shes, that is, the luminous, empty pure nature of the mind, which is not known to us at present. Recognizing this is rigpa.
that makes sense to me. The language I used was a bit strange to me as well as it seemed clear from
Malcolm wrote: The first level is the three pristine consciousnesses of the basis, essence, nature, and energy they are ultimate, unconditioned etc.

that this aspect of yeshe refers to he basis, but I am not accustomed to considering something to be a yeshe unless is is recognized as such. I was trying to account for that distinction.

What you are calling rigpa I would call yeshe, what you are calling yeshe, I would call the basis or the continuum of the basis. From this point of view, yeshe is a wisdom, and as such would not be a great choice for describing "the luminous, empty pure nature of the mind, which is not known to us at present." The luminous, empty pure nature of the mind, which is known would be yeshe, a wisdom... origial, primordial, exalted, whatever you like.

Malcolm wrote: There are other ways the term is used which suggest that rig pa itself also also the nature of the mind which is being recognized. Thus, we need to pay attention to the context in which the term is being used in any given text.
I'm sensitive to precisely this issue. Terms have meaning in context only, so rather than bickering about word use, I am trying to understand what is meant by different words in different contexts, Thanks for the clarification on rigpa, I was accustomed to understand it in this second sense until you actually started emphasizing that it meant the recognition of the basis. I think this is a helpful usage.
fckw

Post by fckw »

By the way, there is a Bön version of Padmasambhava's birth, with a remarkable storyline that actually starts at an earlier point in time compared to the Buddhist version. It explains how Padmasambhava finally ended up in the famous lotus flower. Furthermore, in this version, he has a twin brother. That twin brother in due time becomes a master of longevity, as I recall.

Return to “Dzogchen”