Donating one's organs at death

Josef

Re: Donating one's organs at death

Post by Josef »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 am Q: Is it a good idea for Buddhists to donate their organs after death?

A: Donating organs after death is not as good as donating them while you're still alive—then it's for real! If you don't donate them until you're dead and can't use them anymore, what's the use? As it's said, "Don't give to others what you yourself don't want."

-Venerable Master Hsuan Hua
It's a good idea for buddhists to donate their organs BEFORE death.
Giving up the three roots of clinging; ones body, possessions, and roots of virtue is the ultimate chod practice.
No drums, phets, or bone trumpets required.
Just bodhicitta.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

:good:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Josef wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 am Q: Is it a good idea for Buddhists to donate their organs after death?

A: Donating organs after death is not as good as donating them while you're still alive—then it's for real! If you don't donate them until you're dead and can't use them anymore, what's the use? As it's said, "Don't give to others what you yourself don't want."

-Venerable Master Hsuan Hua
It's a good idea for buddhists to donate their organs BEFORE death.
Giving up the three roots of clinging; ones body, possessions, and roots of virtue is the ultimate chod practice.
No drums, phets, or bone trumpets required.
Just bodhicitta.
Josef beat me to it. In Chöd you're training your consciousness to eject and then to offer the body to thw buddhas and sentient beings. Having mentally prepared in such a way, it's easy to see how organ donation would be a natural thing for an authentic Chödpa operating in the West. And since Chöd can be seen as both Guru Yoga and Mandala Offering, so to could you view donating one's body parts.

As Garchen Rinpoche says, "May all beings have happiness and the single cause of happiness, which is love. May they be liberated from suffering and the single cause of suffering, which is self-grasping."

If anyone is interested in Chöd after reading these comments by Josef and me, please let me know. I'm currently watching some YouTube teachings given by Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche in 2016, and they're absolutely mindblowing!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Chod is one type of mind trip, giving somebody part of your liver, one of your kidneys, your bone marrow or blood is a completely different trip which involves body and mind.

I recommend people start with giving blood and then see how far up the scale they can climb.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Josef

Post by Josef »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 am Chod is one type of mind trip, giving somebody part of your liver, one of your kidneys, your bone marrow or blood is a completely different trip which involves body and mind.

I recommend people start with giving blood and then see how far up the scale they can climb.
The attitude of giving away ones body, possessions, and roots of virtue is the essential point.
But, I agree with the blood giving. Practitioners should certainly engage in that behavior and examine their attitude around it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
drodul

Post by drodul »

Haven't read every post, so sorry if someone mentioned this, but HE Garchen Rinpoche said during a recent teaching that, while Chod practice is only a mental exercise for most, donating one's organs at death "is the real Chod." I believe he also said something to the effect that there is no need to worry about disturbing the body after death if the deceased had practiced and was free enough of self-grasping, but I can't remember the exact quote.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Real Chod in the Western context:

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

drodul wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm Haven't read every post, so sorry if someone mentioned this, but HE Garchen Rinpoche said during a recent teaching that, while Chod practice is only a mental exercise for most, donating one's organs at death "is the real Chod." I believe he also said something to the effect that there is no need to worry about disturbing the body after death if the deceased had practiced and was free enough of self-grasping, but I can't remember the exact quote.
Can you please tell us which retreat this was at and when? Personally I'd like to hear the full context in which Rinpoche said this. Was it during the last Winter Teachings at Garchen Institute? I seem to remember that Garchen Guru taught on Chöd then...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Dzogchen”