Great Perfection: - The Essence of Pure Spirituality

Rinchen Dorje

Great Perfection: - The Essence of Pure Spirituality

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Has anyone read this translation of the Choying Dzod by Shyalpa Tenzin Rinpoche?
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Perfection ... 9937623243
I have been working on Richard Barrons translation of the Choying Dzod as well as its commentary and wondered if this translation adds anything different...thanks
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Rinchen Dorje

Re: Great Perfection: - The Essence of Pure Spirituality

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Bump...so nobody has read this book?? bummer....
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

Root verses are not radically different from Barrons translation, if IIRC 'primordial' is used in place of 'timeless'. It does feature the addition of the Tibetan so that's cool.

What I would like to see is an updated version of the commentary with a clear table of contents.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Does this one have a commentary or were you referring to Barrons?
Kris

Post by Kris »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 pm Does this one have a commentary or were you referring to Barrons?
Barrons is the only English translation of the commentary I'm aware of. I wish it had the enumerations of the content.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

oh ok...understand
Pero

Post by Pero »

The autocommentary was translated by Ives Waldo too and it used to be available for free if you asked him.

As for the OP, FWIW, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it (STR's) wasn't very good but I'm afraid I can't remember any details.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
XXIlluminatingVoid72

Post by XXIlluminatingVoid72 »

It is pretty good, I certainly don’t find any problems with the text itself. Since it’s one of the few translations it’s good to have it to reference. It has the Tibetan and English side by side, and two other texts, tigle gyachen and calling the lama from afar. If one is studying the text I’d say it’s worth it.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

cool...thanks for the input...the more times I read this the more I understand why Patrul Rinpoche carried a copy of it wherever he went...

Return to “Dzogchen”