Dzogchen & renunciate lineage transmission

Spelare

Dzogchen & renunciate lineage transmission

Post by Spelare »

Here's my situation: There are some practices that I received in a renunciate context, where I was exhorted to observe strict chastity and vegetarianism while engaged in them, among other moral strictures and purification practices. The core practices are clearly tantric in origin and similar to ones undertaken by tantrikas who do not observe the same strictures. However, in deference to the guru who gave me this transmission, I feel that perhaps I should respect his wishes, at least during periods when I engage in these practices intensively.

Am I correct in understanding that the samaya of dzogchen automatically trumps the samaya of this renunciate lineage? Is the appropriate course of action a) do these practices and dzogchen practices while behaving as a renunciate; b) do these practices and dzogchen practices without behaving as a renunciate; or c) do one or the other, possibly alternating observances throughout the year?

I suppose my inclination would be to observe renunciation outwardly for certain intervals, while inwardly knowing that it is not ultimately necessary. While observing renunciate behavior, I would maintain pure vision towards those not engaged in renunciation. My concern is to keep intact all the transmissions I have received. Does it really matter what I do outwardly, so long as I know I am not actually bound by any of it? Isn't a dzogchen practitioner free even to observe ritual purity from time to time? Maybe I am overthinking this. I'd appreciate some input, especially from people who've had to negotiate this question in their own practice.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Josef

Re: Dzogchen & renunciate lineage transmission

Post by Josef »

Spelare wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 pm Here's my situation: There are some practices that I received in a renunciate context, where I was exhorted to observe strict chastity and vegetarianism while engaged in them, among other moral strictures and purification practices. The core practices are clearly tantric in origin and similar to ones undertaken by tantrikas who do not observe the same strictures. However, in deference to the guru who gave me this transmission, I feel that perhaps I should respect his wishes, at least during periods when I engage in these practices intensively.

Am I correct in understanding that the samaya of dzogchen automatically trumps the samaya of this renunciate lineage? Is the appropriate course of action a) do these practices and dzogchen practices while behaving as a renunciate; b) do these practices and dzogchen practices without behaving as a renunciate; or c) do one or the other, possibly alternating observances throughout the year?

I suppose my inclination would be to observe renunciation outwardly for certain intervals, while inwardly knowing that it is not ultimately necessary. While observing renunciate behavior, I would maintain pure vision towards those not engaged in renunciation. My concern is to keep intact all the transmissions I have received. Does it really matter what I do outwardly, so long as I know I am not actually bound by any of it? Isn't a dzogchen practitioner free even to observe ritual purity from time to time? Maybe I am overthinking this. I'd appreciate some input, especially from people who've had to negotiate this question in their own practice.
There isnt a conflict. Dzogchen practitioners can be renunciates, look at Patrul for example.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

From Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche's "Calling the Guru from Afar":

Though accumulation and purification are naturally complete, may the accumulation of merit never be abandoned.
Though self and other are not two, may the generation of Bodhicitta never be curtailed.
Though one’s mind is realized as the Guru, may the practice of devotion and respect always be performed.
Though the Deity’s form is not separate from oneself, may I endeavor in the practice of the two stages.
I pray to You, the essence of the Buddha, the Vajra Guru, please think of me!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 am From Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche's "Calling the Guru from Afar":

Though accumulation and purification are naturally complete, may the accumulation of merit never be abandoned.
Though self and other are not two, may the generation of Bodhicitta never be curtailed.
Though one’s mind is realized as the Guru, may the practice of devotion and respect always be performed.
Though the Deity’s form is not separate from oneself, may I endeavor in the practice of the two stages.
I pray to You, the essence of the Buddha, the Vajra Guru, please think of me!
:twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

The Excellent Path of Supreme Great Bliss

A Prayer for Calling the Guru from Afar

by Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

There is no real conflict. As you say, outwardly you can apply renunciate or bodhisattva conduct if you see fit while inwardly you can apply and integrate the higher views and practices.

In fact, sometimes your outer conduct can set up both the outer and inner conditions which are most conducive to recognizing and stabilizing your higher-yana view and meditation. Conduct in breif is knowing your own predispositions and habits and just doing that which is most conducive to the authentic view and meditation while avoiding that which weakens or blocks correct view and meditation.

For example, In the new translation of the Prajnaparamita in 10000 lines, there is a chapter that describes each paramita in relation to every other paramita and how they enhance one another and ultimately culminate in the perfection of wisdom which is synonymous in this case with the Great-Perfection.

http://read.84000.co/translation/UT2208 ... 1-002-4656
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha

Return to “Dzogchen”