The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rangdrol

jnanasutra

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by jnanasutra »

It is pretty clear that texts like the Yeshe Lama are very condensed versions of texts like the Rigpa Ranshar. It is especially evident while reading Chapter 64, “Individual Capacities.” Actually, texts like the Yeshe Lama aren’t as clear as this tantra. I really need to work on reading Tibetan better, it is indispensable for practice and understanding. Thanks to Malcolm for translating this amazing text. :reading:
jnanasutra

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by jnanasutra »

Also, interesting to note that only the very best practitioners attain certainity in the stage of original purity. Everyone else attains certainity in natural perfection. :popcorn:
krodha

Post by krodha »

jnanasutra wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 am If Gzhon nu Dpa’ bo stobs ldan is teaching a retinue (which includes Vajrapani) that is merely an emanation of his own pristine consciousness, then when this buddha sees the appearances of six realms of samsara it must be the case that the beings in each realm must also be emanations of his pristine consciousness. I understand the idea of the Yogācāra container universe model, however, this model works from the perspective of a deluded mind. So how does this buddha view sentient beings? Are sentient beings similar to the retinue in that they are his own emanations? I know the general phrases, “buddhas don’t see sentient beings” and “sentient beings do not exist.” That is not what I am getting at. I am trying to understand this from a Man ngag sde perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Malcolm wrote last year:
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:38 pmBuddhas know what sentient beings perceive, they just don't perceive it themselves. For example, buddhas only perceive sentient beings as other buddhas, they do not perceive them as sentient beings. But they know that sentient beings suffer from delusion.
As for the appearance of these sentient beings being their (buddha’s) own emanation, that all gets a bit abstract. I won’t pretend to know the official men ngag sde position on the matter. However the mind of a Buddha is dharmakāya, which emanates the form kāyas. Buddhas do not mistake their rtsal to be external entities (Longchenpa states rtsal is relative and not ultimately established anyway), nevertheless through compassion appearances manifest and buddhas acknowledge that sentient beings appear and are seemingly deluded.

How this potentially relates to the aspect of the collective projection of the container universe is interesting. Malcolm has said that despite the fact that it seems contradictory, Buddhas still have aggregates, which means they must still relate to the container universe in some respect even though they know it is unreal, e.g., magicians who know their illusion to be unreal even if others perceive it to be otherwise.

That said I get that you are asking how the collective projection of a container universe by numerous sentient beings on the relative level with the catalyst of delusion is related to how a buddha perceives the appearances that are the basis of designation for the purported, aforementioned, relative phenomena in question (sentient beings, container universe etc.).

Thought provoking questions. I don’t have the answer, but appreciate that you’re asking questions of this nature.
ratna

Post by ratna »

New interview with Malcolm is up on Wisdom Podcast, excellent as usual.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

ratna wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 am New interview with Malcolm is up on Wisdom Podcast, excellent as usual.
Does anyone know if the text with the story of Tharpa Nagpo is available in translation?
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

ratna wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 am New interview with Malcolm is up on Wisdom Podcast, excellent as usual.
a timely post. i was just going to post a question about attachment and clinging.

your command of the subject is impressive. could have listened to you rap for another hour. seemed like it was cut short
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am
Does anyone know if the text with the story of Tharpa Nagpo is available in translation?
Yes, it is part of the longer bio of Padmasambhava revealed by Orgyen Lingpa. But is also available shorter forms here and there.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:14 pm
a timely post. i was just going to post a question about attachment and clinging.

your command of the subject is impressive. could have listened to you rap for another hour. seemed like it was cut short
Yes, it was a 4 hour conversation, actually.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm

does the entire recording exist somewhere?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Wisdom has it.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am
Yes, it is part of the longer bio of Padmasambhava revealed by Orgyen Lingpa. But is also available shorter forms here and there.
Thanks, this is the translation if anyone else is interested:
https://shop.dharmapublishing.com/produ ... masambhava
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jnanasutra wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 am If Gzhon nu Dpa’ bo stobs ldan is teaching a retinue (which includes Vajrapani) that is merely an emanation of his own pristine consciousness, then when this buddha sees the appearances of six realms of samsara it must be the case that the beings in each realm must also be emanations of his pristine consciousness. I understand the idea of the Yogācāra container universe model, however, this model works from the perspective of a deluded mind. So how does this buddha view sentient beings? Are sentient beings similar to the retinue in that they are his own emanations? I know the general phrases, “buddhas don’t see sentient beings” and “sentient beings do not exist.” That is not what I am getting at. I am trying to understand this from a Man ngag sde perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks. :smile:
From the commentary on the Blazing Lamp:

Though everything (such as living beings, the inanimate and the animate) appears to each person individually as the unceasing pristine consciousness of vidyā, this is not seen by people of the common vehicles who grasp intellectual analysis.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Wisdom has it.
Another very interesting and informative podcast.It would be nice if wisdom makes available
the other three hours.
I choked on my rice when you were explaining Bodhidharma facing reality for 9 yrs.
Many thanks!
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

amanitamusc wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:10 am

Wisdom has it.
Another very interesting and informative podcast.It would be nice if wisdom makes available
the other three hours.
Seconded.
Kris

Post by Kris »

:thanks:
Great stuff!
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Wisdom has it.
the other three hours.
I choked on my rice when you were explaining Bodhidharma facing reality for 9 yrs.
Many thanks!
Wisdom has unfortunately declined to release the entire interview.

Malcom apparently set a new record for longest audio presentation!

They also said to look forward to more content from Malcom in the future.

A Wisdom Academy presentation would be cool..
jnanasutra

Post by jnanasutra »

Hmmmm :reading: chapter 68, “Index,” talks about a tantra called Marici Tantra. Maybe this Tantra is related to Özer Chenma?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jnanasutra wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 am Hmmmm :reading: chapter 68, “Index,” talks about a tantra called Marici Tantra. Maybe this Tantra is related to Özer Chenma?
Yes
Marc

Post by Marc »

Norwegian wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 am

Wisdom has it.
the other three hours.
Seconded.
Tripled !
Really great as always. So rich in nuances & details !

May be if enough of us kindly asked Wisdom Pub they would consider it ?

Or may be, Malcolm asking might be enough ? :thinking: :tongue:

Return to “Dzogchen”