The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rangdrol

mechashivaz

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by mechashivaz »

Heads up for anyone who hasn't bought a copy yet, Wisdom has a promo code to save 40% until Dec. 21. The promo code is SAVE40. Just ordered my copy, very excited!
Lukeinaz

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by Lukeinaz »

Hi Malcom, In chapter three is mthong being translated as attachment? Seems like attachment is translating several words here. Sorry if this was already covered in one of your talks, cant really remember..

BTW if anyone missed his Facebook talk here it is again, entertaining as always:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm Hi Malcom, In chapter three is mthong being translated as attachment?
No.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm Hi Malcom, In chapter three is mthong being translated as attachment?
No.
Ok, may I ask what word is being translated here and why it did not find a place in the glossary?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:10 pm
No.
Ok, may I ask what word is being translated here and why it did not find a place in the glossary?
Generally, the word being translated here as attachment is chags pa.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm

No.
It is not a very interesting word, hence no entry.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm

It is not a very interesting word, hence no entry.
Ok thanks. I was hearing hoof beats and looking for zebras.
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Does the chapter on empowerments imply that Vajrayana deity empowerments given by a Dzogchen master count as Dzogchen transmission even if there is no Dzogchen style direct introduction per se?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Passing By wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am Does the chapter on empowerments imply that Vajrayana deity empowerments given by a Dzogchen master count as Dzogchen transmission even if there is no Dzogchen style direct introduction per se?
No. It is not implying that at all. The chapter on empowerments is strictly referring the four empowerments common to Dzogchen snying thig: elaborate, unelaborate, and so on.
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Passing By wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am Does the chapter on empowerments imply that Vajrayana deity empowerments given by a Dzogchen master count as Dzogchen transmission even if there is no Dzogchen style direct introduction per se?
No. It is not implying that at all. The chapter on empowerments is strictly referring the four empowerments common to Dzogchen snying thig: elaborate, unelaborate, and so on.
So the empowerment of colored powders would be the elaborate one? Where would a word empowerment done by the lama giving a teaching on a certain Dzogchen text fit in this scheme? Thanks
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Passing By wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:25 pm
So the empowerment of colored powders would be the elaborate one? Where would a word empowerment done by the lama giving a teaching on a certain Dzogchen text fit in this scheme? Thanks
The four snying thig empowerments are subdivisions of the fourth empowerment, actually. Basically, if you are interested in Dzogchen, you need to find someone you believe is a real Dzogchen practitioner to receive teachings from. Right now, I think Khenpo Namdrol is the best teacher available to westerners from whom to learn Dzogchen, due to the depth and length of his explanations. But it is not so easy to meet him. There are many other qualified teachers out there as well. But choose wisely, many Tibetan Lamas hold up a deer's tail, but sell horse meat instead. Thus, caveat emptor.
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm

The four snying thig empowerments are subdivisions of the fourth empowerment, actually. Basically, if you are interested in Dzogchen, you need to find someone you believe is a real Dzogchen practitioner to receive teachings from. Right now, I think Khenpo Namdrol is the best teacher available to westerners from whom to learn Dzogchen, due to the depth and length of his explanations. But it is not so easy to meet him. There are many other qualified teachers out there as well. But choose wisely, many Tibetan Lamas hold up a deer's tail, but sell horse meat instead. Thus, caveat emptor.

Thanks. I'm based in East Asia actually although English is my primary language. One thing I do not understand though. In Nyingma practices generally, the view is Dzogchen based. For example one of the Four Phurbas in Vajrakilaya is the primordial wisdom phurba which, as I understand, is the state of Dzogchen. So how is one supposed to actually practise such a sadhana if the empowerment for that practice does not include direct introduction? I mean, the empowerment is the foundation for any practice no?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Passing By wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks. I'm based in East Asia actually although English is my primary language. One thing I do not understand though. In Nyingma practices generally, the view is Dzogchen based.
Not necessarily.

For example one of the Four Phurbas in Vajrakilaya is the primordial wisdom phurba which, as I understand, is the state of Dzogchen. So how is one supposed to actually practise such a sadhana if the empowerment for that practice does not include direct introduction? I mean, the empowerment is the foundation for any practice no?
The fourth empowerment common to gsar ma and snying ma is a kind of introduction, but it is not sufficient for practicing Dzogchen, so to answer your question directly, the empowerment is not foundation for any practice. One also needs to also have further introductions and liberating instructions. And there are further introductions one will need beyond that. For example, the Meteoric Razor (gnam lcags spu gri) Vajrakilaya tradition of Dudjom Lingpa, even after one has received the empowerment in a proper way, it is assumed one will have practiced in some detail the preliminaries, creation and completion stage, then the special Dzogchen preliminaries. Nevertheless, one needs specific further introductions in order to practice the main practices of Dzogchen.

Likewise, in the Jonang tradition, merely receiving the outer four empowerments is not sufficient for practicing the six limb yoga; or in Lamdre, merely receiving the cause empowerment, which has all four empowerments, is not sufficient for practicing the pratices associated with the three inner empowerments, one needs also the path empowerment and the blessing empowerment of Vajrayogini/Nairatma.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm There are many other qualified teachers out there as well. But choose wisely
Malcolm, on that point. There are many lamas who teach Dzogchen within the common Nyingma framework of common and uncommon preliminaries, three roots, etc. Since ChNNR rested his intent, is there anyone teaching it like him, as a path complete in itself, and giving access to a broad range of practices on that path directly?
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

The Yongdzin Rinpoche Lopon Tenzin Namdak.

He emphasizes Tantric Ngondro more, but does not require Yidam or any other Tantric practice.

Yongdzin Rinpoche gives general Direct Introduction and Guruyoga to anyone interested; however from what I understand, he usually won’t give the R.T.W. unless one has at least completed Ngondro.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am
Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm There are many other qualified teachers out there as well. But choose wisely
Malcolm, on that point. There are many lamas who teach Dzogchen within the common Nyingma framework of common and uncommon preliminaries, three roots, etc. Since ChNNR rested his intent, is there anyone teaching it like him, as a path complete in itself, and giving access to a broad range of practices on that path directly?
Dzogchen is not about the teacher. It is about the studenet because the student is the individual and Dzogchen is about the individual. The student is the most important. The teacher is said the be the most important simply because the teacher is the main key that the student uses to ulock his own knowledge.

Kevin
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:11 pm
Passing By wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks. I'm based in East Asia actually although English is my primary language. One thing I do not understand though. In Nyingma practices generally, the view is Dzogchen based.
Not necessarily.

For example one of the Four Phurbas in Vajrakilaya is the primordial wisdom phurba which, as I understand, is the state of Dzogchen. So how is one supposed to actually practise such a sadhana if the empowerment for that practice does not include direct introduction? I mean, the empowerment is the foundation for any practice no?
The fourth empowerment common to gsar ma and snying ma is a kind of introduction, but it is not sufficient for practicing Dzogchen, so to answer your question directly, the empowerment is not foundation for any practice. One also needs to also have further introductions and liberating instructions. And there are further introductions one will need beyond that. For example, the Meteoric Razor (gnam lcags spu gri) Vajrakilaya tradition of Dudjom Lingpa, even after one has received the empowerment in a proper way, it is assumed one will have practiced in some detail the preliminaries, creation and completion stage, then the special Dzogchen preliminaries. Nevertheless, one needs specific further introductions in order to practice the main practices of Dzogchen.

Likewise, in the Jonang tradition, merely receiving the outer four empowerments is not sufficient for practicing the six limb yoga; or in Lamdre, merely receiving the cause empowerment, which has all four empowerments, is not sufficient for practicing the pratices associated with the three inner empowerments, one needs also the path empowerment and the blessing empowerment of Vajrayogini/Nairatma.
I was refering mainly to the usual generation/completion stage sadhanas one would do primarily in such a cycle actually. The kind where many lamas commonly give after an empowerment at a drubchen or similar public event which participants would then do. Is the samadhi of suchness adopted during the practice and rigpa the same thing? Is it possible to properly do and accomplish such sadhanas without Dzogchen transmission especially when it's full of language telling one to rest in the dharmakaya, ground of primordial awareness etc and to realize everything as the play of the deity and mandala even if deity practice isn't a main Dzogchen method per se?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:02 am The Yongdzin Rinpoche Lopon Tenzin Namdak.

He emphasizes Tantric Ngondro more, but does not require Yidam or any other Tantric practice.

Yongdzin Rinpoche gives general Direct Introduction and Guruyoga to anyone interested; however from what I understand, he usually won’t give the R.T.W. unless one has at least completed Ngondro.
Thanks

RTW?
heart

Post by heart »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 am
Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:02 am The Yongdzin Rinpoche Lopon Tenzin Namdak.

Thanks

RTW?
rigpé tsal wang https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Atiyoga

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”